Have you renewed or completed your CPR & AED

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
American CPR for all of our responsible and conscientious technicians to help support and promote National CPR & AED Awareness Week starting June 1, 2011.

In 2008, Congress designated the first week of June for observation of National CPR / AED Awareness Week, with the goal of encouraging all states, cities and towns to establish organized programs which provide CPR and AED training to the public.

Check with your firestation for courses and we are health care professionals, take the health care provider course, it is different mostly with the use of the ambubag (BVM) & a test for your certificate. With an O2 connection adds to brain recovery & you don't have to put your mouth on another persons mouth. BVM is not very expensive (cheap even) so get one for your lab. Should your lab be 10 or more people in 2014 you may be required to have an AED. Might as well get ahead of the curve, and if you are getting a little long in the tooth someone might use it for you.
One other side note the O2 does help get a morning headache gone faster pick up a couple BVM keep one in your drawer (with your name on it) for that personal pick me up.

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I had to get one for my radiography license, but I'm glad we did it. I had the guys come here to teach the class and we certified about ten people. I think it's an important skill to know and be proficient at.

ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00346_20110510_1145.jpg
ai3.photobucket.com_albums_y79_Ngagi_IMG00346_20110510_1145.jpg

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Well this is good to know. The next time I am over at the cafeteria at PCDL and I scarf up the good food and choke BIGASS big hands Jackson can now cave my chest in legally. Even with out one of those registered big ass guns of his.

Oh hell now his hands are registered too.

I feel much safer :)

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Anyone have a preference for the AED? I got a good deal on the Phillips instead of the brand name one because I was told by a surgeon and other sources it was a better product than the better known brand. Had not had to use it, been 3 years and had to replace the expired pads - a waste but still felt it was the right thing to do with all that elderly patients I have.
LCM

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Anyone have a preference for the AED? I got a good deal on the Phillips instead of the brand name one because I was told by a surgeon and other sources it was a better product than the better known brand. Had not had to use it, been 3 years and had to replace the expired pads - a waste but still felt it was the right thing to do with all that elderly patients I have.
LCM
The chief likes the Phillips & the Zoll easy to service, mid price but prices have been coming down. We have Lifepak's on the ambulances but the Phillips are backups. Put a small roll of gaffers tape next to the AED. Most of the classes are taught on the phillips trainer, around here.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Thanks lenkami15 last night I was at the firestation renewing my medical providers first aid CPR, AED, & BVM cert.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Why the gaffers/duct tape? Immobilization? What's BVM?
Pardon my ignorance . . .
LCM

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Just to personalize this a bit..... last year I went into heart failure. After a year on medication I am well compensated (functional II),but the damage is severe. Next month I get a ICD/Bi-vent installed.....
Words of advice from my primary care when we went over my last echo.... " make sure your loved ones know CPR"

Thanks Ajel for putting this out there.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Why the gaffers/duct tape? Immobilization? What's BVM?
Pardon my ignorance . . .
LCM
LCM first your good questions, gaffers tape is the stuff they put together stages, it really sticks much better than duct tape. Why put it in an AED well some AED's come with a razor, how long does it take to shave a spot for Electrode Pads, they don't work well thru hair, like on the chest. when the heart stops your on the way to dead, the tape rips hair off in a second, seconds count. Now CPR (rescue breaths and chest compressions) is starting to be replaced with CCR (Cardiocerebral resuscitation) first 5 to 10 minutes after cardiac arrest, a rescuer does not breathe for the patient at all. Instead, the focus shifts to performing unrelenting chest compressions at a rate of 100 per minute. Adults tend to go down from heart trouble, children more so from loss of O2, Now I don't know where the adults mouth has been or what bugs are there. Now with a BVM or Ambubag I can give rescue breaths with supplimental O2 without my mouth on another adults mouth. A second rescuer can easily join in and exchange, chest compression for 10 min at 100 compression's per min is a little tiring. The BVM (Bag Valve Mask) also concentrates the O2, when attached to an O2 tank, and if U have a few in the lab using one to practice when U have a headache helps diffuse the headache and gives you a feel for how to use it.

kcdt on a personal note last year my wife had 3 strokes April(Cerebellar) June (Rt Temporal),Aug(TIA),Sun had open heart surgery on Sept 24, 2010 and a slight stroke on the table. She has come through just fine now and is now off heart medications. She is exercising and we have a new puppy she walks, she went back to work in Jan 11. Saturday (Sept 24/11) she made lunch for her church & wouldn't let me get in the way.
For the surgery U are looking at if it was me I would try to get Patrick M. McCarthy, MD at Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine.

PM me the day of your surgery and we will have some prayers for you. Also if U would pm me your E-Mail I have some information to print & put on your fridge.
For the surgery Sun needed Mamdouh Bakhos MD MACS at Loyola, was the perfect shoice.

Last edited:
P

pear

Reaction score
Good Dental Clinic in Sarjapur Road

Certification in the dental laboratory profession is strictly voluntary. Laboratories who have taken the extra steps to become certified represent the top of their field. A Certified Dental Laboratory has met standards in personnel skill, laboratory facility maintenance, training, infection control, tracking mechanisms and good business and manufacturing practices.

Hospitals in Bellandur

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
That last post is off topic and probably solicitation - really bad place
to do that when we are discussing life threatening and important issues.
AJEL, thanks for sharing, the tape tip is great one to know and sorry to
have just seen this. Stuffs going around and I have not kept up threads
as well. Thanks for explanation of the Bag-valve mask - I used to carry
one of those mini-barrier with a one way valve to perform rescue breathing.
Buy you are right - AHA wants to focus on the chest compressions more now.
Need to look for the gaffer's tape in Home Depot the next time we go there
. . . .
Happy New Year,
LCM

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Cpr aed 1st aid 2012

last 2 Wednesday I was at the firestation again renewing the Healthcare CPR AED BVM 1st Aid course. The 1st Aid is a second day now in IL.
This year it seems the rescue breathing only with BVM
10-507.jpeg
or only with a barrier of some kind is recommended unless you know & trust the person such as a family member. awww.nwcprtraining.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_02_cpr_barriers.jpg

awww.nwcprtraining.com_wp_content_uploads_2011_02_cpr_barriers.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom