Gold Teeth

C

CShof

Reaction score
Where does everybody buy their gold teeth? A patient currently has some gold on #9 but it needs extracted. They want me to make a flipper with an open face gold tooth. Flipping through my catalogs the only one that shows some is Zahn. Is that a good place to order this from or is there a better place? I've dealt with gold teeth before but not since I've been on my own so this is the first one I will have ever ordered on my own. Is there anything I need to know before ordering?

When placing this in acrylic, do you recommend using metal bonding primer? I don't think I have before but it seems like it would be a good idea.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I've used the Masel crowns before, as the picture shows, they're hollow with a retention lug. They work fine without a metal primer, but if you want to use one it wouldn't hurt.
With the current gold market, get a price so you can let the client know ahead of time.... you know how some docs are about sticker shock.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
If it's an open face you will have plenty of tooth to bond to and as a practice for me,,, no on the metal primer.. Stuff is to expensive and besides even the shell crowns give enough undercut when processed..

Oh, to answer your question, Starlite Gold Natural and Denture Teeth

And get the days gold price from them as well, no need in eating anything when you go to bill.. I also tell my guys that it's based off market price for the day..

One word of caution... Tell your accounts that when their bought, their bought... Have them stress that to the pt. as well....

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Ken, having lunch and playing @ the same time.... posting when I'm trying to post.. Put your flip flops back on and get back to work..

C

CShof

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I just went to the office and spoke with them about it. I told them I'd get a price then call them back so they could let the patient know before I ordered. I did mention to them that the cost may depend on the current day's gold pricing.

I just went to Starlight's site and I have a question for you guys. I know what white gold is but what's the difference between yellow gold and coin gold? Also, I'm assuming its cheaper to order directly from them rather than through Zahn right?

Last edited:
C

CShof

Reaction score
I just noticed the section marked Cutouts, Accents and Onlays. What he's got now looks like an incisal strip with a diagonal corner of gold on the #8 side. He might be happy with just an incisal gold strip and it may cost less. It says that they come mounted or unmounted with a post to anchor directly onto a denture tooth. How does that work exactly? Would I grind out an area to fit the gold and use tooth acrylic to bond it in place? Or do you think that's too much trouble and if I go that route I should just order one already mounted in place on their tooth?

C

CShof

Reaction score
Wow, they even sell glow in the dark. That's too funny. I learn something new everyday.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Ken, having lunch and playing @ the same time.... posting when I'm trying to post.. Put your flip flops back on and get back to work..
Hey i resemble that remark! Besides I wear crocs....

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I just noticed the section marked Cutouts, Accents and Onlays. What he's got now looks like an incisal strip with a diagonal corner of gold on the #8 side. He might be happy with just an incisal gold strip and it may cost less. It says that they come mounted or unmounted with a post to anchor directly onto a denture tooth. How does that work exactly? Would I grind out an area to fit the gold and use tooth acrylic to bond it in place? Or do you think that's too much trouble and if I go that route I should just order one already mounted in place on their tooth?
I think you'll find it to be a little trouble... BUT it does have the virtue of letting you use a matched tooth from your card, as the "colors" can be rather generic (think lt.med.drk). If you're looking at placing a strip remember that it's supposed to mimic a gold foil restoration to the tooth, so using you own will be more natural.
P.S. left to my own devices I just use the full coverage.....

C

CShof

Reaction score
I know I've asked a lot of questions here and I'm still looking for answers to a few but I have one more, how close to A3 is the medium shade? I think that and the difference between yellow and coin gold are my two main questions at this point but everybody feel free to answer any you can.

C

CShof

Reaction score
This is going to be a pain. I just pulled the model out of the impression. His tooth is 11mm wide and 10mm tall. Starlight doesnt have anything listed wider than 9.63mm. However Masel has one listed at 10mm wide. #8 is also a denture tooth and its only 9mm wide. I'm thinking I'm going to have to replace both teeth.

I may have to go with one that has only the incisal as gold because the one that's wide enough is 2.5mm too tall and I'm thinking I'll be grinding all the gold away when I go shortening the neck of that tooth.

Last edited:
C

CShof

Reaction score
After thinking about this I think I'm just going to try and order gold for the incisal and try bonding it to my own tooth. That way if I replace both 8 and 9 they will at least match each other. Any tips on how to bond the gold to a denture tooth?

I guess my other option would be to take my tooth to one of my old labs and see if they will do me a favor and cast some gold and put it on the tooth for me. I really don't want to do that but I know they can because I remember them doing it when I worked there.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Does #9 match #8 in width? You might look at the everything and come up with a couple of alternate designs. It may benefit from an even 8 & 9 with a gold spacer between the two or an open face (or two) or the incisal thing. Price may be the determining factor.

Coin gold has a darker copper tint to it. I kind of like the color but it's rare (here in the south) to sell one.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Starlight is a bit cheaper than Masel but the crowns have a thicker, puffier, non-tooth like look especially at the incisal corners it's almost as if a C&B guy designed them.

Masel's are sleeker and seem to blend in with denture teeth better...especially if lingual clearance is a concern. I hate that Masel's is actually a lot more than just a bit more expensive but it seems like they are the ones I go to 8 out of 10 times.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Here is a secret.. Shh.. Don't tell anyone. To make life easier pick out your own teeth that you would like to use, then send it to Starlite and they will swedge the gold on to your tooth. Yes you heard me right, they do custom.

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
That's really nice to know. Why don't they have that in a big banner on their website?

and I'm gonna tell 'em you told me about it.

So is this for full gold only or do they do open open face also?

I guess if you want one that is the size of a 21J you'd actually need to reduce it a bit before you send it or is that something they would do, automatically or could you request it? See all the trouble you is about to cause 'em!!!!

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Just called Dawn over there this morning and she says for open face crowns it's easier for them to make it there with the measurements..

As in CShof's case if he call's them with the measurements they can custom make the tooth there.

C

CShof

Reaction score
Well I did my calls and now the doctor is discussing options with the patient before we go any further.

I called Dawn at Starlight and if this goes forward they will either make me a custom open face tooth 11mm wide X 10mm long, which is the most expensive option, or if the patient doesn't want to spend that much I'll be replacing both 8 & 9 with my own teeth at 10mm wide a piece and send Starlite #9 and have them cast gold onto the incisal and mesial edges of that tooth.

They don't even know if the patient is going to be able to keep the rest of his teeth yet or if he'll need them all pulled and be moving to a full denture. I honestly can't see this going any further but its been a fun ride while it lasted. If nothing else I'm glad I got to learn a few new things.

Last edited:
JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
We have casted our own from a hollowed out denture teeth but the cost of High gold content alloy is prohibitive in most cases now days.

The masel crowns look cheap to me "flat smooth no characterization" I like the fact that the other company will custom swedge.

I have saved this for future reference thanks Brian.

Brian

Brian

Reaction score
Starlight is from NC, what more could you ask??

If you were to do these on a regular basis, it might make sense to keep some 22K plate gold around to do them yourself...