GC Luster Paste and Emax

E

envisiondental

Reaction score
I noticed a posting about this from a year ago or so with not much response.. just wondering if anyone here has used luster paste to stain their emax crowns? I've been to a gc class on the luster paste and it seems like it could work excellent.. any experiences?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
What about on the Zirconia?

Mark, is it OK on Bruxzir?

We are having poop results with normal ceramic glaze. Hand polishing works for us.

Scott

(I know everyone is using it, but may not admit it. I have not bought it yet.)

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I use it all the time for everything except e.max Ceram porcelain, fires to hot for it.

E

envisiondental

Reaction score
that's kinda what I was thinking.. the overlay I use(3g) fires and glazes lower than what I was told to fire the gc luster paste at which was like 790. Have you ever tried firing the luster paste at 720 or so? that would be the temp I'd be adding contacts or possibly fixing a margin occasionally. I would assume if you did a full contoured wax up and just staining it could work.. yeah? .. also does it work well with the full contoured zcores(bruxzr/fullz)

thanks,
Bill

ps2thtec

ps2thtec

Donator
Reaction score
I have two lab friends that have been struggling with it for a month. It looked easy from demo at study club. I believe you just fire at emax glaze temp,1418.
I myself have been glazing with enamelite spray glaze . Great results, no filled in anatomy. Stain with Artistains first fire, then glaze.

C

charles007

Reaction score
I use Lustre every week...no problems at all. Friends having trouble, must not be following the simple directions... no vacuum when firing Lustre.
Once you glaze and need to fire/add porcelain again and use vacuum, no problem. Just don't use vac while glazing !
Need contact when glazing, add glaze paste, no vacuum...

This material is very simple to use.....Does it work better than Essence to glaze and stain.... not much difference. Lustre seems to glaze easier for me and others in one glaze.
I also prefer using essence when staining 3D shades,

Last edited:
Toast

Toast

Reaction score
I've used the luster paste on emax and it works well but my biggest complaint is lack of colors in the kit and if you're staining a dark shade it can get "streaky". I've gone back to the emax glaze and stains lately and I think the problem I was originally having with glazing emax was due to a case of dumb a$$. I think I was firing the monolith emax at the emax ceram temp, 725 not the recomended 770. I had the 770 glaze program in my oven but didn't have the two program names different enough from each other.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
Im glazing monolothic emax with the emax glaze and emax or empress stains.

Glaze temp is 810, they glaze fine. 770 is to low to get a good glaze on the first run i find.

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
I usually do two glaze cycles to achieve an acceptable result, and thats with emax glaze.

J

Joseph Haddad

Reaction score
I usually do two glaze cycles to achieve an acceptable result, and thats with emax glaze.

I do too 2 glaze cycles @750 for monol. and ceram no vac. I make the glaze mix as thick as honey. Be careful with contact points.

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I accidently glazed a cut back and layered emax with luster paste and it came out great. No over fired look. I was stunned, being sure that I just had ruined the case.I fired it at the recommended temp.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
We just had an e-max crown came back with too little translucency. Clinically, we tried in with regular stain liquid (Adzent/Vita) and little blue and looked great. Called the lab for temp and was told to fire at 770 deg (should have check this site first) - and the stain simply clumped on the surface. Had to polish most away. Lab could not tell if it was a full cut back (looked like only partial from incisal edge - mamelons were obvioiusly translucent) or partial, and did not tell us what veneering porcelain was used, and came already glazed. Should we have airabraded to break the glaze before adding the stain liquid? I reckno if we used Luster pasted and had it thick, with right temp, could have improved the outcome. But still not sure why it would end up with 'pools' of the externally added stain.
LCM

Top Bottom