full zirc case help

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
I've got a full upper to do out of zirconia framework. Only pontic will be a cantilever 13 that dr wants tied to 12-10 as teeth are all loose. he wants linguals and occ in full zirc with cantilever in full contour. I've read (from Mark i believe) not to layer on a multi unit framework where there are full contour and linguals. before I get working on this I was hoping someone, not Disturbed:tongue:2, can find actual research and studies why not to do so as I see no problem.
Thanks all.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i dont see any problem. post pics of this!! would be fun to see.

the only thing i would consider, is the full contour pontic - it will not match the rest of the teeth if the buccals are all layered porcelain.

consider it does need to be about the same size as the abutment+coping beside it, for shear factor. i'd aim to make it the same as the rest of the teeth - high linguals + layered buccal.

also, make sure the connector to the pontic is Tall (rather than wide). the strength of zirconia lies in its height. when you do this, the weakest part of the bridge is the coping on the nearest abutment. maintain a taper and watch your minimum thicknesses, and you should have a good bridge.

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
he wants linguals and occ in full zirc with cantilever in full contour. I've read (from Mark i believe) not to layer on a multi unit framework where there are full contour and linguals.

Riley, I don't recall saying that. I don't see any reason why it won't work, but you may need to play with your cooling cycles a little bit to keep from getting cracks.