Full Contour Anterior's & Bridges/Micro ?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
That's a perfect segway into a thread I have been thinking about starting.

Uber has shaken up the taxi industry.
Netflix has shaken up the cable industry,

What would it take to shake up the dental industry?
Printing ceramic from a pic

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
But I think that's Star Trek technology for now

From a pic meaning the shade

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
To scan the tooth for shade then print a crown in ceramic with all the right shades

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I love threads like these,

Why are we on this site? Why do we spend time talking about teeth, materials and business ideas?

Why do we share ideas, concepts and techniques? We do so because we care about the products we produce and are actively looking to improve these products and services. It is this PASSION you want to be able to market. That sounds a little weird right? Who is buying passion? Who pays more for it? You would be surprised ...

How do we measure our worth? The easy way is to first know what it costs you to produce the units, this is the biggest hurdle for many, myself included early on in my career. Then we have to truly be better than our competition "in some way". We have to have something that the target audience really desires OR we develop their need to have what we offer. Think about that last sentence "we develop a need for what we offer" I know what the strengths I have to offer but I have also learned what the biggest demographic that purchases restorations struggles with. It sure isn't the 15 powder build up that the vast majority of labs are just not trained to pull off.

So how can my lab, your lab and the guy down the street charge more and stop pointing fingers at the industry that let them down? Communication of course, strong policies, and self worth. If your afraid to talk to your clients, you best look for a different job. If you don't know how to talk to your clients, read a book, take a seminar, truly get out of your introverted self and be confident in your beliefs. Effective communication and understanding of what you clients expects or desires or as I illustrated "doesn't know he wants" is the key. Many have never seen the quality of work presented here and elsewhere on the net. Educate them.

Its only going to get harder, the younger Dr's are tremendously better informed in material science. With social media the beautiful photos of glam shots being posted daily let alone the bread and butter stuff they are just more aware. These are the guys that will essentially be your future. Implementing a good better best marketing scheme and showing the differences is super important. Many clients think labs can only put out one level of work. Why is that? Because the vast majority of little labs only have one gear. They have no idea how to take it to the next level. So again the vicious cycle comes, we want more work from better quality clients that "gets" what we are trying to accomplish. SO again how do I communicate my ability to do different tiers of work.

Heck I don't have a blanket CORRECT answer as its different for many clients. I truly believe each client that I go after or comes after me is doing so for a certain reason. Most are just plain frustrated in some way and by talking to them, and getting to know them I can cross market and share what I can do DIFFERENTLY than the guy down the street. The main thing is you have to be able to do as you say and do it consistently.

Its this skill-set that is WAY more important than the newest glass kit or milling machine on the market.

I have said it many many times, the most important tool for me is the telephone, learn to listen and be willing to offer solutions that may be different than what you have done in your career. It really isn't that hard to make a change.

The industry is not letting you guys down, you are the problem. The great thing is we ALL have the ability to change and adapt and "retool" our business.

Again this is what I did and it seems to be working for me :)

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I love threads like these,

Why are we on this site? Why do we spend time talking about teeth, materials and business ideas?

Why do we share ideas, concepts and techniques? We do so because we care about the products we produce and are actively looking to improve these products and services. It is this PASSION you want to be able to market. That sounds a little weird right? Who is buying passion? Who pays more for it? You would be surprised ...

How do we measure our worth? The easy way is to first know what it costs you to produce the units, this is the biggest hurdle for many, myself included early on in my career. Then we have to truly be better than our competition "in some way". We have to have something that the target audience really desires OR we develop their need to have what we offer. Think about that last sentence "we develop a need for what we offer" I know what the strengths I have to offer but I have also learned what the biggest demographic that purchases restorations struggles with. It sure isn't the 15 powder build up that the vast majority of labs are just not trained to pull off.

So how can my lab, your lab and the guy down the street charge more and stop pointing fingers at the industry that let them down? Communication of course, strong policies, and self worth. If your afraid to talk to your clients, you best look for a different job. If you don't know how to talk to your clients, read a book, take a seminar, truly get out of your introverted self and be confident in your beliefs. Effective communication and understanding of what you clients expects or desires or as I illustrated "doesn't know he wants" is the key. Many have never seen the quality of work presented here and elsewhere on the net. Educate them.

Its only going to get harder, the younger Dr's are tremendously better informed in material science. With social media the beautiful photos of glam shots being posted daily let alone the bread and butter stuff they are just more aware. These are the guys that will essentially be your future. Implementing a good better best marketing scheme and showing the differences is super important. Many clients think labs can only put out one level of work. Why is that? Because the vast majority of little labs only have one gear. They have no idea how to take it to the next level. So again the vicious cycle comes, we want more work from better quality clients that "gets" what we are trying to accomplish. SO again how do I communicate my ability to do different tiers of work.

Heck I don't have a blanket CORRECT answer as its different for many clients. I truly believe each client that I go after or comes after me is doing so for a certain reason. Most are just plain frustrated in some way and by talking to them, and getting to know them I can cross market and share what I can do DIFFERENTLY than the guy down the street. The main thing is you have to be able to do as you say and do it consistently.

Its this skill-set that is WAY more important than the newest glass kit or milling machine on the market.

I have said it many many times, the most important tool for me is the telephone, learn to listen and be willing to offer solutions that may be different than what you have done in your career. It really isn't that hard to make a change.

The industry is not letting you guys down, you are the problem. The great thing is we ALL have the ability to change and adapt and "retool" our business.

Again this is what I did and it seems to be working for me :)
Well said Sir!

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
To scan the tooth for shade then print a crown in ceramic with all the right shades

I believe the idea is not far fetched at all...there are already printers making ceramic objects...it's only matter of time till becomes reality...

C

charles007

Reaction score
John, I enjoyed your post so much I read it twice to get the full benefit, but I could only click LIKE once,,,,,,Guess I should have clicked Winner

Al, are you ready to go Digital yet/2016 ?.... Not sure if Obama will drop off lab scanners this year. lol

Macron Dental Lab

Macron Dental Lab

Reaction score
Well i start designing & milling in 2006 i have to say nothing can replace the human touch no library and a have them all try them all up to date.
I will like to recap this case design and mill later press on emax ,zirconia was to ugly by that time to try a full anterior case.
http://dentallabnetwork.com/forums/threads/dwx50-12-units-case.11160/#post-7315

great lecture Jhon :Congrats:once again thank you DNLA for all the info and the great techs in this site sorry i don't post as much i want or help , i remember my first time here back in 07 keep the good work members.

Macron Dental Lab

Macron Dental Lab

Reaction score
The best i try in full contour with consisted result TD Dental extreme zirconia some stain and glaze and done deal. Beer
12292873_1005176032859338_768159355_n.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Lets have a discussion on what I think will be/Is a fast growing market... full contour anteriors and bridges in zirconia, and the same can be said about FC Emax with the new multi-layered ingot and the $$$$$$ of how will we price these new restorations ?
Zirconia is improving with higher translucency and there are many doctors and labs looking for unbreakable, chip free restorations. We now have a choice of using full contour or Micro layering with totally protected porcelain as new options. Are we going to be smart business owners knowing this ? Higher priced layered restorations in metal ceramics and metal free is disappearing..
After months of wondering when I would pickup my first full contour anterior's & full contour anterior bridge I finally did my first bridge this week, 6x8 9x11. Several months ago over several weeks I picked up 3 sets of 8,9 full contour. Apparently full contour zirconia is more than acceptable now.
What have I learned in these select few cases ?
1. They are much harder to design than the hardest posterior single or bridge.
2. If the shading is off your screwed, and Micro layering is your lifeline for shade correction which may prevent another remill/remake.....Hope to hear more opinions from labs who are producing these everyday unlike me. Some labs I know are up to 80% Full Contour ! so I hope to hear other opinions and helpful tips and tricks ;)

One of the reasons I wrote this is because I strongly believe we should charge more for full contour anteriors and bridges. I know the simple unit single FCZ posterior are the bread & butter in our labs and it can be hard to sell these at premium prices in certain regions, and depending on our perceived competition...the $99.00 FCZ... is it ok to say BruxZir lol
Three plus years ago I started designing zir anteriors with protected incisal edges so no porcelain was in occlusion and the same on posteriors when shading was more critical. Now that we have more translucent zirconia's like Imagine, multi-blended zirconia's, and higher strength zir like XT that's more translucent, I'm sure FC restorations will be the growing go-to crown for many of us, and even more so for lower priced labs. You may not agree but I think Micro layering will be a growing technique for discriminating doctors and labs who want the best of both worlds of monolithic and glass ceramics....
If we're heading towards a Monolithic world of restorations, and I know we are, and with extended Cad anatomy libraries, will the $99.00 restoration be the Norm as materials continue to improve and improve.
I say stand up to the low pricing norm and up your prices if using these new materials and techniques. ;)

I''l be able to price these as my high end zirconia.

My go to zirconia can come down in price and still make a good profit.

I think I'll undercut everyone else in town. It's time to return the favour.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Now getting more requests for Full Contour anteriors in light 3d shades.... :rolleyes:
FC anterior cases will be micro for sure on single unit and 3d shades

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
I believe the idea is not far fetched at all...there are already printers making ceramic objects...it's only matter of time till becomes reality...

Ummm,..how do you think porcelain denture teeth are made,...yep,...ink jetting feldspar within a matrix material,...for many years now. The dental laboratory industry when compared to other industries is actually severely retarded concerning technological advancements in production ,.............hee hee hee,...he said retarded Bird DontknowEviltongue

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
............... is actually severely retarded concerning technological advancements in production ,.............hee hee hee,...he said retarded Bird DontknowEviltongue

Quite the inner convo you got there...o_O

Macron Dental Lab

Macron Dental Lab

Reaction score
There 80 dollars full contour*** TD DENTAL EXTREME*** LET'S GET THE CHINESE MARKET BACK
_DSC1635.JPG _DSC1636.JPG

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
They look like $100 crowns.
Just like everyone elses $100 crowns.

Top Bottom