Fed up with outsourcing.

E

erinspeed

Reaction score
I've had it!!! I have sent my last flexible out for processing!!

I have sent out flexible partials to a neighboring lab. I have surveyed and blocked out the dupe model, waxed the partial completely, and sent it to a nearby lab to have it injected and returned to me for finishing. I also send them my frames for flexible clasps.

Today I picked up my frame with duracetal clasps. The frame wasnt seated when the clasps were shot!! I personally took it back and showed it to the owner's son (removable dept mgr).

Lets back up a bit.

When I send my work out to another lab, I assume it will be looked at with extremely critical eyes. Kind of like a "peer review". I know that outside work coming into my lab gets treated that way. I learn a lot that way, both good and bad. I guess that I use my outsoursing as a chance to show off a little. Kind of a "Beat this!" thing.

Now I am positive that the aforementioned partial was properly seated when I sent it. Apparently the owner's son feel it okay to blow smoke up my a** and blame his shoddy work on me. He said that he couldn't get it to seat but went ahead and shot the clasps anyway because "I thought you made it that way." I was so angry that I decided right then and there never to do business with this jackhole ever again.

And that his accounts are now at risk. By a pissed competitor that is now buying a flexible injector tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

E

erinspeed

Reaction score
Oh, yeah. I'm not the type to badmouth my competition to prospective clients. I have however not marketed to known clients of my business partners. This situation opens them to competition by me, because I know that if I'm getting this treatment, then so are their clients. I can simply serve them better, and I'm confident of that.

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
Oh, yeah. I'm not the type to badmouth my competition to prospective clients. I have however not marketed to known clients of my business partners. This situation opens them to competition by me, because I know that if I'm getting this treatment, then so are their clients. I can simply serve them better, and I'm confident of that.

So are U going to get a flexite, myerson/CDM or TCS machine those were my best choices, I went with the CDM. The Shermerhorn course at his lab was quite good. I have thought of trying Sals course as his materials are good & I like talking with him quite a knowledgeable guy. And then so is TCS Victor is pleasure to deal with and they are all quite helpful.

X

xmortho

Reaction score
Outsourcing can be a slap in the face sometime. I use few trusted labs when I send out some extra work, and I'm pleased (now). Before I run into the same problems too. After you find a lab that is doing a proper job, is definitely worth it. Sometime we loose few $$ by sending work out, but the quality must be paid.

X

xmortho

Reaction score

I never badmouth my competition... I encourage all orthodontist to try our competitors. After that, they will come back to us fast.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts?

I use a lab in Kansas (Kaylor Dental Lab in Wichita, KS) for my flexibles, affordable and I've NEVER had a problem with one. More times than I count we measure our success in how many accounts we can have or what the sales were, when our thermometer should be quality and communication IMO. Maybe this is your problem from your flexible lab.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I've had it!!! I have sent my last flexible out for processing!!

I have sent out flexible partials to a neighboring lab. I have surveyed and blocked out the dupe model, waxed the partial completely, and sent it to a nearby lab to have it injected and returned to me for finishing. I also send them my frames for flexible clasps.

Today I picked up my frame with duracetal clasps. The frame wasnt seated when the clasps were shot!! I personally took it back and showed it to the owner's son (removable dept mgr).

Lets back up a bit.

When I send my work out to another lab, I assume it will be looked at with extremely critical eyes. Kind of like a "peer review". I know that outside work coming into my lab gets treated that way. I learn a lot that way, both good and bad. I guess that I use my outsoursing as a chance to show off a little. Kind of a "Beat this!" thing.

Now I am positive that the aforementioned partial was properly seated when I sent it. Apparently the owner's son feel it okay to blow smoke up my a** and blame his shoddy work on me. He said that he couldn't get it to seat but went ahead and shot the clasps anyway because "I thought you made it that way." I was so angry that I decided right then and there never to do business with this jackhole ever again.

And that his accounts are now at risk. By a pissed competitor that is now buying a flexible injector tomorrow.

Any thoughts?

The sad part of this industry is that many that do peer to peer outsourcing never value the work they receive from their competition. Some view it as "filler work" and not as a solid account.

Anyone that has done work with me will attest that I take their work in with the same high level of detail as my own clients and often times look past what the prescription says to try and save the lab client headaches by making suggestions.

I would have been very upset like you were, I would have riped the clasps off right there and slammed that frame down on the master model and say "I made it this way" however it would have done nothing more than what you already know. They just don't care.

Move on, don't go after their market share just to spite them, go after market share to benefit you and yours. You will be happier when you release that pit of anger over this incident and move to the next level. Trust me I know the feeling.

Good luck to you.

Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
Anyone that has done work with me will attest that I take their work in with the same high level of detail as my own clients and often times look past what the prescription says to try and save the lab client headaches by making suggestions.

I back up John on this. Several years ago, while I was in the process of recruiting all new talent for this lab, I had a case that I just knew was over the heads of my staff at that time. I had John do a case fo us, and he did an outstanding job, and we were very pleased with the outcome and attention to detail.

During one of the interations of this lab, we were heavily involved in outsourcing. At the time, there were only two or three milling centers in the whole country, and even fewer doing things like In-Ceram etc. That was the days when quaility was king and certified technicians worked on all the cases.

Today, the outsourcing market is the pig-sty of the industry, and in my opinion, quality has given way to lowest price, and you are unlikely to have a CDT lay an eye on the work.

I would be careful when choosing an outsourcing PARTNER and try to find one that is manned by CDT's and has FDA GMP's in place. Now, more than ever it us hugely important. I feel your pain, and it's one reason I own a full service lab.

G

green916

Reaction score
I had same experience, not doing the work correctly or worst of all, not doing them at all. Working with CAP, work class difference in work and service. Even though I paid twice as much however I gain alot more. Try CAP.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I back up John on this. Several years ago, while I was in the process of recruiting all new talent for this lab, I had a case that I just knew was over the heads of my staff at that time. I had John do a case fo us, and he did an outstanding job, and we were very pleased with the outcome and attention to detail.

Ill second that about John and I know Labguy will also.

John is laser welding a couple of splints for me.

John I told Dr C I just couldnt get a passive fit torch soldering and you are laser welding his case and that you are one of the best in the country at laser welding and youve been doing it for 20+ yrs.:) I wont take credit for anyting I dont do.

Last edited:
Mark Jackson

Mark Jackson

Reaction score
I wont take credit for anyting I dont do.

I do it every day!

No matter who does the case, or how badly we screwed up, I take personal responsibility for the case as if I made the actual arror with my own two hands.

T

toothless

Reaction score
Out Source No Longer

[Hi - First time joining this group & first time I'm answering someone! If you would be interested in doing flexies in house. We have a material that dose not need any equipment, other then what you have. It's flexible & easy to work with. It is a powder & liquid, cure it just like you do with your dentures. If it is of interest calls us at 1-800-352-8280. We've been around for 20 years. Hope I've done this correctly. Thanks, RON

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I do it every day!

No matter who does the case, or how badly we screwed up, I take personal responsibility for the case as if I made the actual arror with my own two hands.

That's not taking credit, that's taking blame...and something all lab owners do, unfortunately :(

Seriously though, I echo others here, John Wilson has done many of my implants and before he even did them for me, he would take the time and walk me through certain things I really didn't know. A true Mensch and I love showing off his work to my techs because he sets the bar very high for all of us.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words guys. It reaffirms that I am still following what my Dad taught me.

"Do your best not because someone might notice, do it, because its the only honorable way to do a job"

Miss that guy a bunch...slowly I figured out, years later, that the self made man I proclaim to be, really doesn't fit that title. The real credit goes to the man that made/taught me all things I never really appreciated or understood.

Sorry pop I never had a chance to tell you that.

Now go call your own dad and tell him you love em. :)

Sorry op for thread-jacking this it wasn't my intention

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
"Do your best not because someone might notice, do it, because its the only honorable way to do a job"

Miss that guy a bunch...slowly I figured out, years later, that the self made man I proclaim to be, really doesn't fit that title. The real credit goes to the man that made/taught me all things I never really appreciated or understood.

Sorry pop I never had a chance to tell you that.

Now go call your own dad and tell him you love em.

Sorry op for thread-jacking this it wasn't my intention

My dad was a Dental Lab tech from 1947-1998 he left at only 68, I wish I had told him more often how much I needed him, and think on him most days. I was in the ambulance that took him to the ER.