expert in cad

Gdentallab

Gdentallab

Reaction score
Is there an academy, school, or university to become let's say expert in cad software. How can we know the benefits of each system, the tricks, how to deal with each situation? should i take all available courses? should i get a toy( cad cam) and play with it?
i don't own any cad cam, had a training or two on just two systems, but i like to know how to work (master) on all systems.
hoping to become a trainer, maybe adviser in a company, or just gain some knowledge without dropping my work as a dt.

Dave at Dale

Dave at Dale

Reaction score
it's almost to the point where scan/design is almost plug and play with some basic manufacturer training especially for 80% of your needs. Nothing like it was years ago.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I recommend calling the Cool Hand Cad Acadamy

ask for Luke!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
nah, the tuition alone to that school makes most people turn to selling meth on the street.

ts4341

ts4341

Reaction score
Tyler - PDL and Scott - *** maybe should run their own academies or combined to create The T & S CAD/CAM Institute of Higher Learning.. With the DEAN CHL(CoolHandLuke) and head master Pete from K2 Ceramic Studios..

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
All kidding aside ,I think the point is that any institute could not keep up with those on this site. To me this is the beauty of cad learning .

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
best way to learn is by doing!

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
best way to learn is by doing!

Totally agree here, I had past CAD experience prior to buying my mills and 3shape but I did not want to fork out the high price for training 5k( I am stubborn that way) The 3shape software has a very good manual and is very user friendly. I was designing full anatomical with in 5 mins of my first scan. What I believe there is a real need for is tutorials on ADVANCED features. I believe there are many cool features that I have not exploited and I always get pumped with I figure something new out or see someone else do something cool! This place in fun for that.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
You want to master dental CAD/CAM or real CAD/CAM? Big difference, but the only way you are going to get good at any software is to buy it and start reading the manual and playing with it. Every piece of software comes with a manual and each function is described so you should have no problems figuring things out as long as you can read.

Glenn Kennedy

Glenn Kennedy

Reaction score
CAD/CAM is a generic term and the technology had been around for a very long time. If you want to learn generic Computer Aided Design and Computer Aided Manufacturing you can take courses at vocational schools or a community college. You will learn how to 3D solid model brackets, molds and other mechanical items using a general purpose CAD tool like SolidWorks or AutoCAD. You will then learn how to manufacture those designs by programming a CNC machine using G-Code. You can even download simple 3D solid modelers like 123D from Autodesk.

CAD/CAM for dental is targeted specifically for the dental market and the design and manufacture of dental restorations. Since it is targeted at a specific application you will be focused on learning how to design and manufacture dental restorations. You could try to learn all of the systems on the market but if your goal is to increase your value in the industry (IE better job options) you are better off staying focused on the dominant tools of the industry. Learn how to use the dominant scanner and it's CAD software. Then learn the dominant CAM software. Open CAM software will most likely run any of the open CNC mills on the market. Keep your focus on dental CAD/CAM using the leading open products and you will get the most bang for the buck.

By the way, the dental market is starving for qualified CAD/CAM technicians. Because of the shortage there are a lot of people coming over from other industries because they have experience in CAD/CAM. What they don't know is dental. If you have been working at the bench and know dental restorations you are very wise to learn CAD/CAM. It gives you a huge leg up on the competition. The more you know, the further you go.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Is there an academy, school, or university to become let's say expert in cad software. How can we know the benefits of each system, the tricks, how to deal with each situation? should i take all available courses? should i get a toy( cad cam) and play with it?
i don't own any cad cam, had a training or two on just two systems, but i like to know how to work (master) on all systems.
hoping to become a trainer, maybe adviser in a company, or just gain some knowledge without dropping my work as a dt.

if i may address the questions directly and in order;

i'm going to borrow a quote from someone else on this forum, and for the life of me i can't seem to find the post or thread where i read it, so i am not sure who to give credit to, but here goes "theres a lot [about CAM] that people don't know that they didn't know and that is half of the art of CAM"

most of the time, the only way to flesh out the positives and negatives will be to see them for yourself, much like the matrix. there isn't a tool around that can deal with all situations in the best manner possible; there are advantages and disadvantages to every system, so finding the "best" really does amount to a matter of perspective. one system's disadvantage may be your biggest advantage. and vise versa.

"training" on any given system really does not prepare you for much. i remember the "training" i got from 3shape in 2007. basically it was a phonecall with a Netviewer overlay. we did like 2 copings and one 3 unit bridge, and we followed the manual page by page. i felt like i was being trained by a Youtube video, whilst reading the lyrics in the user manual (which if you remember was a 20 page loose bound booklet)

so "training" can be a misnomer, inferring that you will use the tool to do something productive and learn its functions, yet not in reality.

no, to be a good trainer at something you have to know more than the words in the manual, and you must know how to articulate your thoughts. you need hands on the product to know and describe what may be a solution to one client, and be different for every case; adaptable to the needs of many different styles of ceramists, and knowledgeable on managing a case from beginning to end.

i have had the benefit of being part of a lab that has purchased the Procera systems back before i was part of the lab, then as time drew on we went from 3shape's low end items (d250) through to high end items (d710/810) and sampled Laserdenta along the way, and very nearly sampling Dental Wings series. i'm still massaging that.

the point is this, in order to understand what works and what doesnt work with a CAD or CAM system you must have a thorough knowledge of at least 2 systems. you can be a 3shape CAD wizard and lack the knowledge and understanding to judge your milled product from the place you outsource. communication in this respect will be the test of wizards, not your proficiency with the morphing tools.

bottom line here is get a CAM, handshake it with your CAD, and get a system going that will let you test both your capacity to design, and your capacity to finish your milled design. in doing so, you will see the things that cause you to sometimes get Open contacts for example, or high bites, or let you see how to manage Tall structures in small pucks to save dosh on your supply chain.

the digital labs of the future however will not be so self contained.