ExoCad into 3shape files

• Thread starter k2 Ceramic Studio
  • Start date
k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Hi guys, So I want to send some implant files to a milling centre to mill a Friadent implant bridge. Problem is that there system does not work with Exo yet (behind the times or what) they need the two files from 3shape to tell the mill what way up the bridge is!!!!!!!
So is it possible to load an external implant bridge file .stl into 3 shape and then have it cough up the pre required 2 folders that 3 shape exports in.
Many thanks Pete

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
Hey Pete if you want I will be at the lab in 30 min if you want to try and send me the Exocad file and ill try to manipulate into 3Sahpe?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Tyler.... ?? You have a CAM for 5-axis metal milling?

Pete, your "Construction Info" file would be what their CAM needs.

Has nothing to do with 3shape CAD. Most all Dental CAM software can use your exocad's constructionInfo file.

Send them both.

Why are you asking about 3shape stuff if you have already designed this?? CAD is finished, no?

Refer this business back to this thread to ask any further questions...

Scott

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Thats great Tyler, I don't have the finished file as its all hypothetical at the min but if it can be done then I would send them through to you for conversion for a fee if thats ok. I do have an old job I could send to you, just a single to start with then if it works a bridge.

All the best Pete (and thanks for your help)

ParkwayDental

ParkwayDental

Reaction score
No Scott I do not have a 5 axis metal mill.

All I am going to do is open it with 3Shapes 3d viewer and resale it as a 3Shape Stl file and it should work. Send the one on that you want to test Pete and ill try it out.

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Tyler.... ?? You have a CAM for 5-axis metal milling?

Pete, your "Construction Info" file would be what their CAM needs.

Has nothing to do with 3shape CAD. Most all Dental CAM software can use your exocad's constructionInfo file.

Send them both.

Why are you asking about 3shape stuff if you have already designed this?? CAD is finished, no?

Refer this business back to this thread to ask any further questions...

Scott

Hi Scott, I will do. I know it all sounds very strange. They are working hand in hand with Fraunhofer but they originally teamed up with 3shape so there milling system is designed to receive the two files one for the main construction and one for the implants this gives them the correct y axis. They are not a small set up, have 15-5 axis units and 2-7 axis. All I want to do is get around a stupid problem. There is no way these guys will come on here and ask as it would make a top 10 international dental company look really stupid. If you want to offer a solution to them then I will cc you into the email I am going to send them of Tylers converted crown. Thanks Pete

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
The question is...."what CAM are they using?"

SUM3d, Go2CAM, and many others accept the exocad constructionInfo file.

I bet they can work with your files just file Pete.

Scott

P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
No Scott I do not have a 5 axis metal mill.

All I am going to do is open it with 3Shapes 3d viewer and resale it as a 3Shape Stl file and it should work. Send the one on that you want to test Pete and ill try it out.

How are you going to produce the extra file needed for the CAM?

Do you have a plan for that?

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
What a Pain.
Surely they can select the implants manually in the CAM?
Sorry to burst your bubble but I cant see manipulating the file in 3shape working.
Any milling centres around you have sum3d or go2 as scott mentioned?? At least these two can identify implants without separate files. (even though you have a construction file)

k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
What a Pain.
Surely they can select the implants manually in the CAM?
Sorry to burst your bubble but I cant see manipulating the file in 3shape working.
Any milling centres around you have sum3d or go2 as scott mentioned?? At least these two can identify implants without separate files. (even though you have a construction file)

They are in Germany, no idea what Cam they run and I am only going off of what there top guy said who flew out to see me on Friday, he was here for ages and really ballsed up my day, but I did cadge a free trip to Germany for the family and I so it was worth it. The 3shape file is there rule not mine I am just trying to fool there system into accepting Exo files, it's not too far away from reality, I remember when Hypermill NOT dentmill came to see me, there milling strategy worked the same way. It wanted both files separately so it could determine the milling strategy for both and then combined the two. All the best Pete

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
Yeah those two both need geometries. Might need to buy a 3shape system....:)

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Hyperdent & Hypermill from Open Mind does accept the ConstructionInfo. For sure of it.

They are also partnered with exocad.

DelCAM...??? Maybe not? They suck IMO, as far as working with other companys.

Find another milling center that is not such a PITA to work with. Apparently they do not need your business bad enough.

Top Bottom