eMax CAD vs pressed eMax

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
I am a 3Shape D800 user running 2014.
I had been having my eMax restorations done in milled wax and have had very good success.
I am in the process of constructing my first eMax CAD and all looks nice so far. Ive done some minor adjustments in the blue stage and I'm ready to do the crystallization firing. Unless something goes dramatically wrong, I cant imagine why I wouldn't continue on this way. I've heard good and bad but nothing definitive.
Is it a cost issue?... because it certainly takes a lot of "not fun" hands-on work out of the process.
The only thing I noticed and will have to research is it doesn't appear on my order page that eMax inlays and veneers are available?
Please share your thoughts with this new user (me). I'm trying to catch up with you CAD experts out there!
Thanks, Edward

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I find I can press emax thinner than it can be milled but that's about it.

Keep an eye on your path of insertion . I was getting bulky emax cads when i didn't pay attention.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I had been having my eMax restorations done in milled wax and have had very good success.
I am in the process of constructing my first eMax CAD and all looks nice so far. Ive done some minor adjustments in the blue stage and I'm ready to do the crystallization firing. Unless something goes dramatically wrong, I cant imagine why I wouldn't continue on this way. I've heard good and bad but nothing definitive.
Is it a cost issue?... because it certainly takes a lot of "not fun" hands-on work out of the process.
The only thing I noticed and will have to research is it doesn't appear on my order page that eMax inlays and veneers are available?
Please share your thoughts with this new user (me). I'm trying to catch up with you CAD experts out there!
Thanks, Edward

emax inlays, onlays, and veneers are certainly available in CAD. Maybe something with your software is not allowing you to select it from menu.

Emax cad is more costly up front, but the labor savings and convenience of CAD outweigh that issue for me.

Milling thin veneers or margins in CAD can be challenging due to chipping at the really thin areas

Saluki

Saluki

Reaction score
You will not get as good a fit with CAD as you will with press. Press is slightly stronger.

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
emax inlays, onlays, and veneers are certainly available in CAD. Maybe something with your software is not allowing you to select it from menu.

Emax cad is more costly up front, but the labor savings and convenience of CAD outweigh that issue for me.

Milling thin veneers or margins in CAD can be challenging due to chipping at the really thin areas

Thanks for the reply! That is what I was hoping you'd say.
BTW "Learn the rules well, so you know how to break them properly" LOVE IT !!! And I thought I had some good lines. Mind if I use it when I lecture? I promise I'll give you the credit!

C

charles007

Reaction score
You can't mill as thin in cad ! ....... do you really mean your having trouble designing crowns thin with a scanner ?
May last 2 emax cad crowns I designed came back scary thin around the margins and fit as well as my pressed emax using ep5000 oven.
These were milled off an imes 450i and using Exocad, no CereWreck .

Edit: feather edge margins as usual

CreDes

CreDes

Reaction score
If you don't have good preps and margins, the emax CAD will not be as good.
When you have a few cases that the margins are spotty, it gets costly and frustrating very quickly. Emax CAD does work well on implants.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
You can add emax margin porcelain to an emax cad and fire it with the crystallization cycle.

I prefer printed wax over milled wax because there is no bur compensation if I am pressing.

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
You can add emax margin porcelain to an emax cad and fire it with the crystallization cycle.

I prefer printed wax over milled wax because there is no bur compensation if I am pressing.
I haven't tried printed wax yet. I was told by my milling center that it would be very difficult to make changes to the printed material if I needed to. Although the milled wax I get from them is very nice and I get great fits with it, it is also very difficult to modify. Their milled wax is extremely hard and very stable but doesn't do well with hot waxing instruments... It gets very stringy as it cools quite quickly.

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
You can't mill as thin in cad ! ....... do you really mean your having trouble designing crowns thin with a scanner ?
May last 2 emax cad crowns I designed came back scary thin around the margins and fit as well as my pressed emax using ep5000 oven.
These were milled off an imes 450i and using Exocad, no CereWreck .

Edit: feather edge margins as usual

No trouble designing thin. I was referring to what is probably a glitch in the software or just needs to be added to the Control Panel - the drop-down box options for eMax CAD inlays and veneers are missing.
What I am actually trying to find is if anyone can offer the "cons" to eMax CAD since I am seeing a lot of pro's and would like to continue on with it. Just trying to be as informed as possible. So... thanks for the input, and everyone else participating in the thread!

J

Jurim

Reaction score
I have both Cerec InLab and a 450i. I have been milling eMax for many years now, the 450i can mill a really fantastic margin, and the fit is definitely comparable to pressed.

The only downside to pressing, other than a minor deficit in strength, is cost. Patterson charges approx $30 a block (C14). With proper training and knowledge of sum3D we can get 2 units out of one block most of the time, which greatly offsets the upfront cost comparison.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I haven't tried printed wax yet. I was told by my milling center that it would be very difficult to make changes to the printed material if I needed to. Although the milled wax I get from them is very nice and I get great fits with it, it is also very difficult to modify. Their milled wax is extremely hard and very stable but doesn't do well with hot waxing instruments... It gets very stringy as it cools quite quickly.

I rarely need to modify the wax but use a white rubber wheel when needed.I love the rigid wax/resin material.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! That is what I was hoping you'd say.
BTW "Learn the rules well, so you know how to break them properly" LOVE IT !!! And I thought I had some good lines. Mind if I use it when I lecture? I promise I'll give you the credit!
Use it at will.... Not my moniker. No notoriety wanted.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
Thanks, Edward

are you milling in house or sending out. there's a big difference in price between outsourced milling and in-house. especially if you can get two in a block.

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
are you milling in house or sending out. there's a big difference in price between outsourced milling and in-house. especially if you can get two in a block.
Don't mill anything in-house. I have been getting good results with milling and tech support sending out to CMC. Their eMax CAD are $45.95 for single units.