e.max glaze - milky white or clear?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Welcome back Patrick.
We tried to hold down the fort for you but I'm afraid we dropped the ball.
I think he was looking for an excuse to try Insync anyway .
Personally I 'm not that attracted to boy bands but to each his own in the US I guess.

Best we sit back and wait for the " Insync glaze-milky white or clear" thread.;)

Edward123

Edward123

Reaction score
Both replies about too thick and possible water in the brush are the possible culprits.

When mixing the glaze from the tube, do not add liquid until you have mixed it. If after mixing it for 15-20 seconds, it still holds it's shape, then you can add a little Stain and Glaze Fluid with your instrument from another puddle (please don't add a drop straight to your glaze, as it will always be too much). I then use a flat opaquing brush to apply the glaze. I apply a thin layer of the thick consistency glaze to the restoration and usually get a good glaze in one firing with no white streaks. To clean your brush after applying the glaze, use a little of the glaze fluid on your palette and not water (this will keep the possibility of water contamination to a minimum). If you feel you must use water to clean the brush, ensure it is completely dry before applying the glaze.
Thank you very much for the extremely specific and easy to follow instructions and explanation! You're a good man, Patrick Coon.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Agreed, we're fortunate to have him here on the forum.

Z

ztech

Reaction score
Several of the tech support guys at Ivoclar NY are prior Air Force. Good guys who know their stuff, but they will also tell you the truth from the perspective that they are working for Ivoclar.

G

graychromatics

Reaction score
I could only say that happens with think application, but I've had brand new glaze from ivoclar straight out of the pouch that was contaminated. This actually happened several times.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Several of the tech support guys at Ivoclar NY are prior Air Force. Good guys who know their stuff, but they will also tell you the truth from the perspective that they are working for Ivoclar.
They tell you how to successfully use Ivoclar's products; would you expect them to tell you to use another manufacturers product?

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score

Did you maybe want to rephrase that, or maybe I'm wrong in this regards. That at times when I've called tech support, it seemed like they were implying I would be getting help from a everyday lab tech (a non "employee") who was commissioned, trained by Ivoclar, and the call was forwarded or transferred to them? Otherwise, CatamountRob is right, what else are they going to say?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Otherwise?
I can't remember the last time I was wrong.....
However, now that I'm 50 my memory has gotten rather short.

Last edited:
Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
I would add a disclaimer to my post above, in that part of what ztech was implying, and that is (like Patrick) they tend to be up front and honest about a problem and a resolution. I've called companies before (mainly metal or porc. manufacturers) where when I asked my question and have been told a couple of times before, "we've never heard of that issue before" i.e. "you must really be doing something wrong"...of course I'm doing something wrong, that's why I called you! Banghead

Last edited:
Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
Did you maybe want to rephrase that, or maybe I'm wrong in this regards. That at times when I've called tech support, it seemed like they were implying I would be getting help from a everyday lab tech (a non "employee") who was commissioned, trained by Ivoclar, and the call was forwarded or transferred to them? Otherwise, CatamountRob is right, what else are they going to say?

Car54, There are 11 of us on staff here in the technical services department. It is our job to answer your questions, help you troubleshoot, teach courses, and test new products that IV (Ivoclar Vivadent) has developed. On occasion we get other products to test or evaluate (but not often). It would be a very rare occasion that you got someone from outside of IV to answer a troubleshooting question, although on occasion I have asked Steve Lee to answer a question for a lab that only speaks Korean.

As Ztech mentioned four of us 11 have retired from the Air Force, a couple others have military service, but I am the youngest (50 in January) and least experienced in the department (27 years as a lab tech). We all have at least one, if not several, certifications and extensive experience in all areas of the lab field. If I can't answer a question on partials or dentures, then I forward the question or call to one of the other techs here (Bill Barton, Jay Sober, Ken Cathers) or one of our Removable technicians in Sarasota, FL (Don Yancey, Rick Rought).

As for not recommending a material that is not one we make. I think you would be hard pressed to find a company to recommend a competitors product over their own. If it is something we don't make, then of course I don't have a problem suggesting a brand. If someone asks me about using a competitor's product instead of ours in one of our processes, I would of course tell them that it is something I can not recommend. I will say that it may or may not work, but as a company we have not tested it (which is the case) so I can not guarantee the results they will get. This is the same information I hear the other techs in the hallway give. If I have tried it here, I will tell you.

I have been accused of "Drinking the Kool-Aid" before, but as I told that person, I don't like Kool-Aid and I will not tell you something that I do not believe or do personally. And that is the attitude of the entire Tech Services department here.

This is not a rant, just trying to get information about us out there. We all take pride in our customer service and enjoy helping and interacting with you our fellow lab techs.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
We all drink our own koolaid.
Why would I want to drink someone else's when mine is better?;)

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Just for the record, I love Kool-Aid.
The red kind, and not that no-color red either. That's for sissies.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Just for the record, I love Kool-Aid.
The red kind, and not that no-color red either. That's for sissies.

You koolaid stocks are suspended. Hope you have some no name back up.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Thank you, Patrick, for your wonderful clarification, as I now know too, "the rest of the story...good day"

Paul-Harvey-279x300_zpscpyutrks.jpg

Last edited:
Z

ztech

Reaction score
They tell you how to successfully use Ivoclar's products; would you expect them to tell you to use another manufacturers product?
I was saying what Pat said in a longer post. They have a tremendous amount of experience and I know personally the qualifications of most and have worked with both Pat and was taught by Jeff Smith at the AF school. Would they undercut there job by saying "use the other companies investment over ours", probably not, but they are very capable of telling you how to maximize their product. I would also trust their opinion on items they don't support.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
I was saying what Pat said in a longer post. They have a tremendous amount of experience and I know personally the qualifications of most and have worked with both Pat and was taught by Jeff Smith at the AF school. Would they undercut there job by saying "use the other companies investment over ours", probably not, but they are very capable of telling you how to maximize their product. I would also trust their opinion on items they don't support.

We've worked together?!? What's your true name? I really like it when I can put a face to the name.

I also wasn't trying to bash you just making sure my point came across.

Patrick Coon

Patrick Coon

Reaction score
@ztech if you don't feel comfortable giving your name on the forum, PM me.