E.max anterior cantilever bridge

NathanNever

NathanNever

Reaction score
I have a case coming: 1+, +1, +2(cantilever),almost two central incisors with lateral cantilever. it is possible to make it in emax? And if possible which thick? full contour? But I would prefer layering it. any advice, because the alternative is zirconia but I do not like so much... thanks to all

user name

user name

Reaction score
Cantilever in e.max?? NO

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Cantilevering is a contraindication for e.Max, although it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people were fabricating cantilever bridges in the anterior anyway. Talk to your doctor and let him make the call and document it if he wants to go with e.Max.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Cantilevering is a contraindication for e.Max, although it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people were fabricating cantilever bridges in the anterior anyway. Talk to your doctor and let him make the call and document it if he wants to go with e.Max.

...and have him write you a prescription to smoke pot while hes at it. Use Zir with a porc. butt.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
YES.

We have a couple of cases going well in emax with non functional laterals cantilevered of canines.

The is all about case selection, like any material theres no hard and fast rules as long as you understand what your doing. few points.

1. make sure your doc (and patient) is aware of the risks and that there is no guarantee
2. make sure connectors are as big as possible.
3. make sure lateral is non functional and well clear of excursive contact.

its likely if the patient is told that the material might fail prematurely and that the work is not guaranteed then they will opt for something else... IF they are told! wouldnt you? if there not then dont do it.

most important thing here is informed consent from the patient.

the other thing id ask myself is why use emax?? when zirconia will do the job just as well/better.

Last edited:
Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
Totally agree with Paul...especially the last sentence in his post.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I blieve cantilevering a lateral off a cuspid is an allowed indication. I'm not sure about a lateral off a central. I would call Ivoclar and ask.

Last edited:
2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Page 4 on the Press manual says it is contraindicated.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I've done a few. No problem. Just make connectors tall. They are awesome.

P

paulg100

Reaction score
I've done a few. No problem. Just make connectors tall. They are awesome.

depends if you like bulky labial connectors no?

This is why i still use zirconia for my all-ceramic bridge work, you can make thinner lingual placed connectors much more like metal frames, so that you can get proper separation.

theres a ton of zr around now with different translucencies if that is the concern.

NathanNever

NathanNever

Reaction score
As I thought, and as deep down the doctor also thought , we like e.max so much, but rightly has limits, I do not freeride with a rigid bike ... In fact, it seems a little excessive ... Where Eagles Dare ... It will be sure zirconia, I will sleep well at night ... and so even my doctor ... Thank you for being here.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
This may sound crazy but why not veneer your zirconia with emax ceram ?

NathanNever

NathanNever

Reaction score
It is not crazy, was what I thought about that this morning. Otherwise thought of using Vita VM 9.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I do full contour Zr Linguals with .8 to 1mm facial cut back. Gives a lot of support and strength and leaves plenty of room for esthetics. I do my pre sintered staining to match the shade tab. Layer and good to go;)

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
depends if you like bulky labial connectors

No not the ones I've done. Definitely a case by case basis. Full contour linguals will usually give enough strength in the connectors. But if not zirc works good also.

senthildtech

senthildtech

learner
Reaction score
actuly its good when opposit teeth not touching your cantilever ............ good

user name

user name

Reaction score
An out of occlusion unit is suddenly back in function when you bite into something. Dont underestimate the forces of the tounge or the accidental tap of a cup-o-beverage. Id also be very hesitant to do just a labial veneer with a Zir lingual. Because there is little to no chemical bond between the porcelain and the zirconia, we're really depending on mechanical bond and that comes in large part from the compressive retention of full coverage porcelain. Thats why the CTE match and a slow cool are so important for a sucessful PFZ.

Push back and argue with me all you want, but lets first give cudos to Nathan for making the best choice. Good job dude.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I come over the incisal. Never had one come back yet;)

keithw@vodamail.co.za

[email protected]

Reaction score
Just use the emax zirliner over the zir frame and you won't have any drama, emax ceram over the zir frame looks the business and is way strong enough for cantilever.

M

mavros43

Reaction score
dear paulg100 or anyone else, have you ever done e-max bridge with 2 abutments and 1 cantilever pontic.
my question is how we sprue it?
On conventional 3 unit e-max bridge, we sprue only abutments not on the pontic. For the above case, how we sprue?

i know it is not recommended, but i want to try it for experiments with everyone informed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom