duplicating models

GG - J

GG - J

Reaction score
good morning , our denture department is instructed to duplicate all working models

but they are taking way to long with the new flex hydro collide

and they are having detail issues using condensation lab putty

what is everyone using to duplicate models

Z

ztech

Reaction score
What do you consider too long? Hydrocolloid reproduction usually takes 4-6 hours if you have the right equipment. Reproduction by PVS, although can be done accurately, is a huge waste of money for a few hours difference.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
good morning , our denture department is instructed to duplicate all working models

Duplicating models is slow. Charge accordingly.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Duplicating models is slow. Charge accordingly.
Hydrocolloid duping with a dupe machine is the most cost effective/accuracy ratio you will find. It takes about an hour to hour and a half to dupe.
Duplicating Silicone is the most expensive but most accurate it takes about the same amount of time.

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
cheap and fast = alginate
fast and accuracy=VPS
slow, cheap, and accuracy=colloids

just like everything else, it's technique sensitive. There is nothing you can whip up, dump in a bowl, and come back in 10 minutes and its perfect.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
cheap and fast = alginate
fast and accuracy=VPS
slow, cheap, and accuracy=colloids

just like everything else, it's technique sensitive. There is nothing you can whip up, dump in a bowl, and come back in 10 minutes and its perfect.
Scan models and 3d print them? lol

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
if you have a hydrocolloid machine, it should take no more than 2 hrs. soak the model for 10 min., pour the colloid and put it in an ice water bath for 45min, take the master model out of the colloid, pour the stone duplicate and let it set for 45min.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Sounds like a pain. That being said hydrocolloid is your best option.

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
You could be pouring your duplicate models in about 15 min. You could use regular alginate in stock trays if you soak the casts first in Saturated Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate Solution. Get them nice and saturated and blow off the excess water before taking the impression. You have to pour them immediately within 5 minutes. Up to 30 min if wrapped with a soaking wet paper towel. I don't know if I would use the technique for fabrication of cast metal frameworks though. For those I would use irreversible duplicating silicone if you are looking for fast (about 45 min) I just use reversible hydrocolloid because I prefer to reduce my carbon footprint as much as possible. But the alginate method does work well for full/partial dentures.

One more important thing about duplicating. I like to block out any undercuts that are not critical to the fit of the prosthesis, prior to duplicating. So if you have a Kennedy Class 1 bilateral distal extension rpd that you will be fabricating for replacing the molars, I would block out the buccals and facials of everything anterior to the second bicuspids, or whatever teeth you are planning to use as retentive abutments. I like using biteblock wax for blocking out because I have an old trusty Hanau hot water bath that keeps the wax very pliable. I can block out in seconds. Blocking out non-critical areas reduces the undercuts, leading to easier retrieval of the master model and lessens my chance of having a distorted duplicate model. I would definitely recommend blocking out the vestibular roll area of the cast for RPD's and any non-critical areas if you plan to use the duplicated casts to process acrylic to. Obviously, if you are going to duplicate a cast for full dentures, first place your post-palatal seal, but don't block out the vestibular roll. Just make sure to blow off the excess water before you duplicate. I can't stress the importance of that step.

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
What about just making a second pour from the impression the dr sends as long as it’s not alginate.

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score

Inexpensive way is alginate.