denture staining and characterisation

mivoice4you

mivoice4you

Reaction score
I am trying to get some tips and techniques to making the acrylic look more realistic esthetically.....also...using a light cure glaze as opposed to conventional polishing on facial flaange......any ideas..not including the obvious festooning please.

Last edited:
AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I've seen Jim Collis do this a few years ago in a clinic
http://www.collislab.com/cms2/uploads/Gradia article.pdf
the final product looked pretty, I believe there is quite a bit of investment & my accounts might (won't) pay for what I would have to pass on. If U R just wanting to spice up the work U R doing & not spend to much might I suggest using fibers? or root blanching? They R supposed to look like veins or arteries but If U place them while packing it can make for quite a nice touch without all to much investment. & U can still pumice & polish as is comfortable. I still have William Getz characterizing fibers (they R from the 60's 3/4 scarlet & twisty like capillaries) that I place where I want, it is really more for the patient to look at when they (hopefully clean) have the plate in their hand looking at it.
Fricke Dental -

mivoice4you

mivoice4you

Reaction score
The monetary investment is not an issue. Thanks for the insight..i will check that out.

Smilestyler

Smilestyler

Denturist
Reaction score
I have that gradia gum and to be honest, I don't like it. I think it might work great for gums on a tall bridge, but on a denture it doesn't look realistic. Maybe someone who is used to building up (ceramist) with better skills could do more with it. I have it in my mind to do a RPD with it, but have not gotten a round tuit.

Pieter

Pieter

Reaction score
Dreve sells two kits to enhance denture esthetics. Klaus Mutherties is a master at this. Basically two techniques. One a paint on one - external stains lightcured. The other internal - using light in color selfcure materials prior to packing just around the necks of teeth and darker in between the root areas. Let it harden a little and then pack the conventional acrylic.

stumpf

stumpf

Reaction score
try ANAXDENT!It's perfect for pimp up your denture:)

R

rshark

Reaction score
I've been waiting for a question like this to pop up. I've been teaching courses on this very technique for years. I started out using the Dreve products but the gum "glaze doesn't work long term. It has a tendency to break down and start to peel off and discolor. Heraeus Have a range of great light cure options, simply treat the surface of an unpolished denture and paint away. The finished result looks great and is only limited by your artistic skill. This won't peel off because you actually add a layer 0.2mm or thicker if you want. You can actually even do some surface characterization like stippling in the material before you finalize the case.
If you are nervous about light curing then Look at the Anaxdent products they are FANTASTIC!!! ACRYLINE
With these products you can either do the light curing option which can actually be used in the mouth. Or there is an acrylic option, where you use a wet brush technique to add a thin layer of colored acrylic to the surface and pop it in the hydroflask. Polish as normal, and again you have heaps of artistic options with intense colors to subtlety vary the colors to suit. All the light curing options require a good light curing machine. Skimp on this at your own risk. If the materials aren't cured properly you can have problem in the future. The least expensive option is the acryline products. These products, both the Heraeus and the Anaxdent products are available in the US.

check them out it is worth a look.:eek:

Top Bottom