Dentist Fee for Custom Abutment?

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
Had an account ask me this and its been awhile since I checked. What are dentists charging for Custom Abutment versus Stock Abutment

Thanks,
Rex
----------

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Unaware there was a different fee anymore.

Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer

HMFIC
Reaction score
Me either but I dont know insurance codes either. I was hearing $900 for custom abutment plus crown. No idea if they charged less for stock.

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
I think same price for either

doug

doug

Reaction score
That's about right for just the abutment.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Damn, 900.00 for cust. And here we are charging 295 to 315. F that, price hike time. Lol

dmonwaxa

dmonwaxa

Reaction score
And then there are some that offer an abutment and crown for a little more than what Sevan P mentioned. Us dumb techs really need to educate ourselves. I saw what one doc was charging 5 years ago....back then it was $800 and that was for stock abutments.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
It's illegal for a dentist to mark up the lab fees here.
It is considered a conflict of interest as well as receipt of gifts such as tvs etc.

The patient should be the recipient.

This is why we have separate lab fees .

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
It's illegal for a dentist to mark up the lab fees here.
It is considered a conflict of interest as well as receipt of gifts such as tvs etc.

The patient should be the recipient.

This is why we have separate lab fees .

It isn't really marking up the lab fee. It is their chair time associated with implant placement and tissue management. Parts and labor are separate, but generally appear combined in the fee to provide simplicity. I don't think a dentist would tell the patient how much they get it for though. They need their scapegoat.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Stock abutments are worthless imo, you could prep it by hand, then it would be a custom abutment. Stock abutments cost as much or more as custom these days.

S

sonlab

Reaction score
Zimmer stock abutement cost $161- you do have to prep it though. They have anatomical abutements that run a bit higher. If you go custom with Zimmer you loose the advantage of their Friction Grip 1 deg taper though.

There are Docs that charge the pt what they pay for the abutement and only charge a higher fee for the implant crown