CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/hawaii-dentist-manslaughter-charged-1.3754507

seems to be a recurring theme.

for those too lazy to click:

A former Hawaii dentist has been charged with manslaughter for the 2014 death of a three-year-old girl who suffered cardiac arrest during a dental procedure, dying a month later.

A grand jury indicted Lilly Geyer Thursday on 37 counts, including manslaughter, medical assistance fraud and assault, the state attorney general's office said.

Finley Boyle lapsed into a coma after receiving an array of sedatives and anesthesia in preparation for cavity fillings and root canals, according to an autopsy report. The report concluded the cardiac arrest was likely the result of the five drugs, which included Demerol, hydroxyzine and chlorohydrate. She was also given laughing gas and an injection of a local anesthetic, lidocaine with epinephrine, the report said.

Richard Fried, the lawyer representing the girl's parents, said the death certificate cited cardiac arrest as the cause of death.

Geyer's practice, Island Dentistry for Children in Kailua, has since closed.

Geyer is currently travelling, said her attorney, Michael Green. He said he would make arrangements for her to surrender to authorities.

"She's not practicing so they can't say she remains a danger to anybody," Green said. "I'm not unsympathetic to the family of this little girl who died, but this was not a woman who was hell bent on hurting people."

Geyer has been distraught since the girl's death, Green said. "I'm just really worried about her mental health," he said.

The Honolulu medical examiner classified the death as an accident.

Geyer's insurance company settled a lawsuit by the Boyle family for an undisclosed amount.

Richard Fried, the attorney who represented the parents in their lawsuit, said they're pleased about the indictment. The case frightened Hawaii parents and changed how they select dentists for young children, he said: "I think folks are much more cautious now about credentials and sedation."

After the girl's death, the state started investigating Geyer's use of the drugs on patients.

The indictment accuses Geyer of making false statements to the medical assistance program to get higher compensation than she was entitled to receive. She's accused of illegally administering Meperidine and Chloral-Hydrate. One of those patients was a two-year-old child who suffered serious injury, according to the indictment.

A dental assistant at Geyer's former office was charged earlier this year with assault and drug violations for the two-year-old, who was unconscious for 12 hours after she was given the narcotics during a routine checkup.

Corrections
  • In an earlier version of this story, The Associated Press erroneously reported the cause of death of the three-year-old patient. According to the attorney representing the girl's parents, the death certificate for Finley Boyle said she died of cardiac arrest, not a heart attack.
    Sep 12, 2016 3:40 PM ET

Travis

Travis

Nothing to see here
Staff member
Reaction score
So sad, this is how they handle difficult people?

M

mmbh

Reaction score
Sad. One of my children had to have some major work done which required some anesthesia and the dentist very arrogantly said we had no reason to worry, because he was board certified. I said no thanks. Used someone else who uses an anesthesiologist to come in and administer the anesthesia. More expensive yes, but definately worth it. A well known anesthesiologist in my area told me its easy to put people under, but if there is major work being done and they have to be out for awhile, you really need someone who knows what they're doing if something goes wrong like a reaction to the meds to stabilize and bring them back out.

G

grantoz

Reaction score
thats what i love about the dental industry never arrogant always transperant

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I don't want to be cold hearted, but....

3 years old and in for fillings and a root canal? that child has been ABUSED long before the trip to the dentist. **** the parents, they should be charged too. this wasn't a story from 1932 in some backwater country. this was 2 years ago in Hawaii!?!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I don't want to be cold hearted, but....

3 years old and in for fillings and a root canal? that child has been ABUSED long before the trip to the dentist. **** the parents, they should be charged too. this wasn't a story from 1932 in some backwater country. this was 2 years ago in Hawaii!?!
thats just the problem. diagnosis 4 root canals. autopsy diagnosis only needed a couple fillings.

just like the case a few threads down. misuse of anesthesia, cardiac arrest, boom. none of this would be happening if overdiagnosing or flat out squeezing by dentists wasn't a thing.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
thats just the problem. diagnosis 4 root canals. autopsy diagnosis only needed a couple fillings.

just like the case a few threads down. misuse of anesthesia, cardiac arrest, boom. none of this would be happening if overdiagnosing or flat out squeezing by dentists wasn't a thing.
a couple of fillings? for a 3 year old?
I have a 3 year old. not only does shot not need fillings, but she's been brushing her teeth for 2min AND flossing (albeit not superb flossing) for more than a year.
this is piss poor parenting prior to any dentists squeezing out a buck

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
a couple of fillings? for a 3 year old?
I have a 3 year old. not only does shot not need fillings, but she's been brushing her teeth for 2min AND flossing (albeit not superb flossing) for more than a year.
this is piss poor parenting prior to any dentists squeezing out a buck

Wait, you did read where the child died right?

So what you are saying is that it is the parents fault because their child may or may not have had poor dental hygiene? I am having a hard time following that logic. You are basically saying that if the parents had been better about their child brushing and flossing that they would never had to have had the procedure and thus would be alive today.

Sorry, I strongly disagree with that. They were in the care of what was supposed to be a healthcare professional. Your doctor or dentist is not supposed to kill you.

Add to the whole thing that without knowing for sure, it is only an assumption that the cavities were due to poor dental hygiene. There could have been multiple reasons for the cavities other than "piss poor parenting".

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
This is why you don't let just any twerp with 8 semester hours and 2 CE credits in anesthsiology administer it.
Death by doctor is a very common occurance. It's called Iatrogenisis or Iatrogenic Death. Had this happened to a 60 year old the Doc wouldn't even have been looked at seriously.

Aside from that, Why in the world is a 3 year old on that much stuff!! All those co-administered CNS depressants are a danger in themselves. Hydroxizne?! Really!? What alergic reaction was so strong that was needed? This is a pure case of death by hubris.

Nitrous by itself is deadly if someone is vitamin deficient. When was the last time you were asked by a dds about your vitamins prior to using it?

Anyone providing healthcare that says "There's nothing to worry about." has no business being in the job.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Wait, you did read where the child died right?

So what you are saying is that it is the parents fault because their child may or may not have had poor dental hygiene? I am having a hard time following that logic. You are basically saying that if the parents had been better about their child brushing and flossing that they would never had to have had the procedure and thus would be alive today.

Sorry, I strongly disagree with that. They were in the care of what was supposed to be a healthcare professional. Your doctor or dentist is not supposed to kill you.

Add to the whole thing that without knowing for sure, it is only an assumption that the cavities were due to poor dental hygiene. There could have been multiple reasons for the cavities other than "piss poor parenting".
of course I read where the child died.
maybe I was a bit harsh, as I put myself into the situation. as much as I would be crushed by the death of my child at the hands of a doctor I just couldn't wrap my head around needing fillings or root canals at 3.
wait, maybe you've not caught up on medical science. death by doctor is common enough that you should realize it does happen.

all I was inferring was that i don't know of any 3 year olds going in for root canals and fillings. and if there was neglect on the part of the parents, they should be held accountable as well. maybe not for the death of the child, but negligence nonetheless.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
of course I read where the child died.
maybe I was a bit harsh, as I put myself into the situation. as much as I would be crushed by the death of my child at the hands of a doctor I just couldn't wrap my head around needing fillings or root canals at 3.
wait, maybe you've not caught up on medical science. death by doctor is common enough that you should realize it does happen.

all I was inferring was that i don't know of any 3 year olds going in for root canals and fillings. and if there was neglect on the part of the parents, they should be held accountable as well. maybe not for the death of the child, but negligence nonetheless.

But the child did not really need root canals, so the dentist was lying. Were the parents wrong for trusting a medical professional? If so, that sure says a lot about the so called professionalism.

Maybe the child had some type of disease or disorder, we just don't know.

One thing we can agree on is that parents should certainly teach their children good dental hygiene.

Juko

Juko

Reaction score
saw today 7 kids in California are hospitalized due to bacteria stemming from "baby root canals" the child they cited was a 3 year old. They were looking into 500 cases done going back a little over a year. I just can't fathom a 3 year old needing root canals. Let alone 500 kid patients in a 48 month period. Seems a bit much to me.
Not very good publicity for dentists as a whole.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
But the child did not really need root canals, so the dentist was lying. Were the parents wrong for trusting a medical professional? If so, that sure says a lot about the so called professionalism.

Maybe the child had some type of disease or disorder, we just don't know.

One thing we can agree on is that parents should certainly teach their children good dental hygiene.
Where in the story did it say the "child did not really need root canals"?
I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything that said that.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't see that either, but root canal on a deciduous tooth is pushing to begin with in my way of thinking.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
Well, I didn't see that either, but root canal on a deciduous tooth is pushing to begin with in my way of thinking.
Maybe they'll call you as an expert witness for the trial.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
Where in the story did it say the "child did not really need root canals"?
I may have missed it, but I didn't see anything that said that.

Just reread the thread and you are right that it does not state that. I was thinking of the other thread that Luke referenced. Apologies.

Personally I agree with JMN's statement, so I don't see why any 3 year old needs a root canal. But again, who knows the underlying causes and circumstances.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Link: http://www.staradvertiser.com/hawaii-news/woman-indicted-over-dentistry-death/

Article is behind a paywall, so here it is below:

Woman indicted over dentistry death

By Susan Essoyan September 9, 2016

Former Kailua dentist Lilly Geyer was indicted by an Oahu grand jury Thursday and charged with manslaughter in the death of 3-year-old Finley Puleo Boyle, who suffered cardiac arrest in the dentist’s chair on Dec. 3, 2013, and later died.

Attorney General Doug Chin announced that Geyer is charged with 37 counts in the indictment, involving treatment of patients from October to December 2013 at her practice in Kailua. They include numerous instances of medical assistance fraud and prohibited acts related to controlled substances.

She is also accused of second-degree assault in connection with her treatment of another young child on Nov. 20, 2013. The indictment identifies that child only as JK, who was born in 2011.

Geyer is charged with second-degree assault for recklessly causing serious bodily injury to Boyle, identified only as FB, the indictment said, adding that Geyer is charged with manslaughter for recklessly causing Boyle’s death, and with manslaughter by omission for failing to perform a duty imposed by law.

A bench warrant was issued for Geyer’s arrest, and bail was set at $100,000.

The charges follow a joint investigation by the Department of Public Safety, Narcotics Enforcement Division and the attorney general’s Medicaid Fraud Control unit.

Boyle was heavily sedated and stopped breathing while being treated at Island Dentistry for Children on Dec. 3, 2013. She suffered severe brain damage and never regained full consciousness.

She died Jan. 3, 2014. An autopsy found she died of complications following cardiac arrest, likely caused by the drugs given to sedate her.

Ashley Boyle, Finley’s mother, told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser at the time that she had taken her daughter for her first visit to the dentist in November 2013. Boyle said she was shocked when the dentist said her daughter had 10 cavities and needed four “baby root canals,” also known as pulpectomies.

Later, while her daughter lingered in a coma, a different dentist performed an exam, including X-rays, and concluded that Finley had just a few cavities.

Boyle, a registered nurse, said she was in the waiting room but was not notified of the emergency. Geyer’s staff summoned a pediatrician down the hall to help revive the child. Boyle found out something was wrong only when emergency responders arrived.

The child received five drugs, according to the autopsy report. They included Demerol, hydroxyzine and chlorohydrate, as well as nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas, and an injection of a local anesthetic, lidocaine with epinephrine.

Boyle said her girl, who weighed 38 pounds, had been massively overdosed. She said that if simple precautions had been taken, her child might still be healthy today.

Finley’s parents sued Geyer, alleging negligent and dangerous conduct in sedating their daughter, and failing to prepare for or respond appropriately to the emergency. The suit was settled in 2014.

Medical assistance fraud and prohibited acts related to controlled substances are Class C felonies, each punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. Second-degree assault carries the same penalty. Manslaughter is a Class A felony punishable by a maximum of 20 years in prison and a $25,000 fine, with a minimum of six years and eight months, before being eligible for parole.

The attorney general’s office said Geyer is subject to enhanced sentencing because two of the patients were children under age 8.

The controlled-substances charges allege that she did “distribute, administer, prescribe or dispense a controlled substance” in violation of the law.

The medical assistance fraud charges allege she made false statements in applying for benefits or payments in order to obtain greater compensation than deserved.

Geyer, who had been licensed to practice general dentistry in Hawaii since July 2005, shut down her practice Jan. 1, 2014. One of the charges in the indictment says she failed to notify the state Department of Public Safety that she had discontinued her business.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Link: http://www.staradvertiser.com/hawaii-news/woman-indicted-over-dentistry-death/

Former Kailua dentist Lilly Geyer was indicted by an Oahu grand jury Thursday and charged with manslaughter in the death of 3-year-old Finley Puleo Boyle, who suffered cardiac arrest in the dentist’s chair on Dec. 3, 2013, and later died.

Attorney General Doug Chin announced that Geyer is charged with 37 counts in the indictment, involving treatment of patients from October to December 2013 at her practice in Kailua. They include numerous instances of medical assistance fraud and prohibited acts related to controlled substances.

She is also accused of second-degree assault in connection with her treatment of another young child on Nov. 20, 2013. The indictment identifies that child only as JK, who was born in 2011.

Geyer is charged with second-degree assault for recklessly causing serious bodily injury to Boyle, identified only as FB, the indictment said, adding that Geyer is charged with manslaughter for recklessly causing Boyle’s death, and with manslaughter by omission for failing to perform a duty imposed by law.

The charges follow a joint investigation by the Department of Public Safety, Narcotics Enforcement Division and the attorney general’s Medicaid Fraud Control unit.

Boyle was heavily sedated and stopped breathing while being treated at Island Dentistry for Children on Dec. 3, 2013. She suffered severe brain damage and never regained full consciousness.

She died Jan. 3, 2014. An autopsy found she died of complications following cardiac arrest, likely caused by the drugs given to sedate her.

Ashley Boyle, Finley’s mother, told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser at the time that she had taken her daughter for her first visit to the dentist in November 2013. Boyle said she was shocked when the dentist said her daughter had 10 cavities and needed four “baby root canals,” also known as pulpectomies.

Later, while her daughter lingered in a coma, a different dentist performed an exam, including X-rays, and concluded that Finley had just a few cavities.

Boyle, a registered nurse, said she was in the waiting room but was not notified of the emergency. Geyer’s staff summoned a pediatrician down the hall to help revive the child. Boyle found out something was wrong only when emergency responders arrived.

The child received five drugs, according to the autopsy report. They included Demerol, hydroxyzine and chlorohydrate, as well as nitrous oxide, commonly known as laughing gas, and an injection of a local anesthetic, lidocaine with epinephrine.

Boyle said her girl, who weighed 38 pounds, had been massively overdosed. She said that if simple precautions had been taken, her child might still be healthy today.

Finley’s parents sued Geyer, alleging negligent and dangerous conduct in sedating their daughter, and failing to prepare for or respond appropriately to the emergency. The suit was settled in 2014.

Medical assistance fraud and prohibited acts related to controlled substances are Class C felonies, each punishable by up to five years in prison and a $10,000 fine. Second-degree assault carries the same penalty. Manslaughter is a Class A felony punishable by a maximum of 20 years in prison and a $25,000 fine, with a minimum of six years and eight months, before being eligible for parole.

The attorney general’s office said Geyer is subject to enhanced sentencing because two of the patients were children under age 8.

The controlled-substances charges allege that she did “distribute, administer, prescribe or dispense a controlled substance” in violation of the law.

The medical assistance fraud charges allege she made false statements in applying for benefits or payments in order to obtain greater compensation than deserved.

Geyer, who had been licensed to practice general dentistry in Hawaii since July 2005, shut down her practice Jan. 1, 2014. One of the charges in the indictment says she failed to notify the state Department of Public Safety that she had discontinued her business.
Thanks fot pulling it over here. Clears up a few things, and adds to the mix why did it take HI so long to see a problem. Want to kill and the Army says you're too trigger happy, get a degree instead. Sheesh.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

jeez/ don't even know what to say....yikes!

Top Bottom