Dental Wings series5

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I recently got a series 5 an am working on learning how to use it. I learned that to do custom abuts it takes an additional module $2000 and$900 a year on top of the $2000 a year license. WOW that adds up. A lot for small labs. Is there anyway to do scan and design for custom abuts without buying the DWOS implant module? If that's the only way I will do it but just wondering.

Last edited:
Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
2000$ a year licence ? You mean IF you want to update it ? I have a 5 series and I don't pay anything on a yearly basis .

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
I have Dwos with Straumann scanner but I prefer to send model to Atlantis and let them send the core file to me for design. This model is pretty cost effective for me and the mills are very nice.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
Are you using the DWOS software? Cuz if we don't pay the licence fee, we can't use the scanner.

2000$ a year licence ? You mean IF you want to update it ? I have a 5 series and I don't pay anything on a yearly basis .

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Mine is Wieland S 100 scanner . You know , 5series with a different sticker on it . And the software is zenocad . The same as dental wings software with different interface . I don't pay anything unless I want to upgrade the software . Do you like DW software ? I have many problems with putting pontics at the right place , and designing generally with it . It drives me mad . Today I was working on two bridges at the same jaw , 13 to 17 and 24 to 26 and almost went crazy ! That is the main reason I want to switch to Exocad .

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Mine is Wieland S 100 scanner . You know , 5series with a different sticker on it . And the software is zenocad . The same as dental wings software with different interface . I don't pay anything unless I want to upgrade the software . Do you like DW software ? I have many problems with putting pontics at the right place , and designing generally with it . It drives me mad . Today I was working on two bridges at the same jaw , 13 to 17 and 24 to 26 and almost went crazy ! That is the main reason I want to switch to Exocad .

Maybe a software update would help. Just sayin.

It does seem EXOCAD is really nice though. I have heard you can get it stand alone 8K and still use the DWOS for scanning then import your stl. to it.

Last edited:
amadent

amadent

http://amadent.net/Home.p
Reaction score

same with our 5 series, i also think the fact that they are still 32 bit ans mostly everything else on the market is 64 bit - doesnt help DW/Weiland

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
I have Dwos with Straumann scanner but I prefer to send model to Atlantis and let them send the core file to me for design. This model is pretty cost effective for me and the mills are very nice.

Did you have to add any modules to do this?

I spoke with a Straumann rep recently and there is an upgrade coming for the Straumann system near the end of year at that point the DWs scanners might be compatible with the Straumann system, IE straumann implants etc... . He wouldn't give much info.

I am just trying to gather as much info as possible right now so when I get to the training in 2 weeks I can flood them with questions.

I really want to be able to scan and design custom abutments and soon.

amadent

amadent

Reaction score
EJADA- is this your 1st training on the series 5 or have you been to CMC prior?

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Did you have to add any modules to do this?

I spoke with a Straumann rep recently and there is an upgrade coming for the Straumann system near the end of year at that point the DWs scanners might be compatible with the Straumann system, IE straumann implants etc... . He wouldn't give much info.

I am just trying to gather as much info as possible right now so when I get to the training in 2 weeks I can flood them with questions.

I really want to be able to scan and design custom abutments and soon.

We don't have to add implant modules...they were included with the upgrade to the CS2 scanner. I am still in learning curve of the DW software. I ordered scan bodies from CMC, but I've been so busy that I haven't had time to scan abutments within the DW software.

Straumann will be upgrading to Windows 8 in their next upgrade. I haven't heard anything about the DW scanners being able to export to Straumann...not out of the question in my opinion. Why would they want to limit their business? Same thing with 3M...they are now accepting files from Straumann scanners.

Something smells a little fishy about that extra $900/yr in licensing fees. I think I would get a little more info on that before making the plunge.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
We don't have to add implant modules...they were included with the upgrade to the CS2 scanner. I am still in learning curve of the DW software. I ordered scan bodies from CMC, but I've been so busy that I haven't had time to scan abutments within the DW software.

Straumann will be upgrading to Windows 8 in their next upgrade. I haven't heard anything about the DW scanners being able to export to Straumann...not out of the question in my opinion. Why would they want to limit their business? Same thing with 3M...they are now accepting files from Straumann scanners.
I felt the same way
Something smells a little fishy about that extra $900/yr in licensing fees. I think I would get a little more info on that before making the plunge.
Seemed pricey to me to. I will be all over it at the training.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
same with our 5 series, i also think the fact that they are still 32 bit ans mostly everything else on the market is 64 bit - doesnt help DW/Weiland

I hesitate a bit to upgrade . I will need 5k to do that (PC ,software upgrade) . What if it is the same ?

I just finished designed two more bridges , huuuge problems with pontics . I think exocad is the way for me .

Last edited:
EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
EJADA- is this your 1st training on the series 5 or have you been to CMC prior?

Yes. I bought it used and DWs gives the training free with the license fee. I just want to get going and use it.

Why do you ask?

Are there additional trainings they offer? I am so new to all of this and just taking it all in. Any additional advice would be well received.

EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score

So am I hearing you right? You have challenges putting in the pontics as does Drizzt? Has DWs tech support not been able to help?
I will ask about it at the training, if there are other unresolved challenges I will ask about them also.

amadent

amadent

Reaction score
Yes. I bought it used and DWs gives the training free with the license fee. I just want to get going and use it.

Why do you ask?

Are there additional trainings they offer? I am so new to all of this and just taking it all in. Any additional advice would be well received.

i only aske because when my brother and I went for training on DW, it was group of about 5 or 6 labs, the trianing was good for the basics to get up and running but hthe learning curve when we returned to the lab was lenghty one
witch did not include any implant work, this may have changed its has been about 3 years since we went to colorado

amadent

amadent

Reaction score
I hesitate a bit to upgrade . I will need 5k to do that (PC ,software upgrade) . What if it is the same ?

I just finished designed two more bridges , huuuge problems with pontics . I think exocad is the way for me .

to the best of my knowledge a 64 bit upgrade is NOT availible for the 5 sereis dental wings
agree with you in regard to exocad

Last edited:
Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
to the best of my knowledge a 64 bit upgrade is NOT availible for the 5 sereis dental wings
agree with you in regard to exocad

I also know this about the lack of 64 bit . It is only available I think for the newest 7 series ? So I don't think I am going to spend any money on it . Maybe I will just purchase Exocad for starters and later I will have a scanner that can work with it . The problem is I just got my milling machine , and the only thing missing for milling inhouse one piece custom abutments out if Ti or CrCo is the CAD implant software . Buying a new scanner is a bit difficult for me now . Milling machine cost a lot of $$$ ! If I have Exo , it can't work with my scanner for implant scanning and then designing I think . Maybe an Exocad guru here can answer this . On the other hand , if I have the DW implant software , I will be able to mill them right away . Do you design abutments with DW ? Would you recomend that to me ? Thanks and sorry for the amount of questions hiting you !!!!!! ;)

amadent

amadent

Reaction score

Why do you ask?

yes we have the same issue another issue with pontics in the DW is the system likes to make them extremly narrow ( mesial/distal)

anil patel

anil patel

Reaction score
GT MEDICAL LIBRARY

who is using gt medical implant library for dental wings scanner,

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I will use it really soon ! I have seen some impressive results from it .

Top Bottom