Dental labs VS. Supply companies

A

AL1

Reaction score
It has always been a bone of contention with me, that the dental supply companies are so willing to sell us products that they say have an easy learning curve, but you always seem to have to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to some third party guru to really learn how to use the stuff, especially ceramics.
If you are going to spend a lot of money on a new ceramic system the training should come with it.
Maybe the reps could also be trained better?
Just an opinion!

sixonice

sixonice

Reaction score
are there specific systems that your speaking about?

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it is reasonable to expect the reps to have the artistic ability to teach an advanced ceramics course. I would hope that they are relatively competant in the basics, however my Ivoclar rep is for the most part just a salesman. He didn't have a lab background. That having been said if I have an issue, he knows who to put me in touch with. As far as the supply companies having to offer free instruction with the purchase of materials, if you go to a building supply store and buy a cube of block, do they come over to your house and show you how to lay them? They certainly can answer many technical questions, but thats as far as it goes. Just some thoughts on the matter. Rob

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im in the middle of no where it appears, and as such, the middle of the country is used as training ground for sales reps. We get the rookies that spend their time driving rather than in the labs selling. Consiquently, they tend to be nervous and unknowledgable about not only their products, but lab work in general. As far as supply houses...you will be shocked to know that many of them arent actually who youre speaking to when you call. For profit reasons, they use call centers. When you call, you are routed, generally to the same rep based on your location, and when they answer, they are representing company X and have your order history and suppliers info just as if they were in-house. The next call they take may be a complaint for an electronics store or to dispach road side help. The burden of knowledge is on us. Thats why this site is so valuable to me, and why I owe a deep and genuine thanks to the contributers here.

A

AL1

Reaction score
You may purchase a cube of block from a hardware store but you have a certain expectation that if you follow the instructions on how to use it, it will work.
What I am trying to say is that when you buy a porcelain system, you have certain expectations, that if you follow the instructions it will work properly.
With so many posts on here about ceramic systems not functioning as they where told they would,, there is a problem.
I said nothing about advanced ceramics, I was talking about the basic functioning of a product.
Getting no cracks,pulling or excessive shrinkage.
This is basic stuff for the success of our restorations and would ease the stress level greatly.

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
I see what you are saying now and I guess I wouldn't disagree with that point of view, if you follow the instructions to the letter, the results should be somewhat predictable. Rob

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
I am in the middle of making a decision on Creation porc., I have the intro kit with the transition dentins, but was wondering what the opinions of some current users would be??

A

AL1

Reaction score
Its nice looking, but can be technique sensitive. Moisture control, blot a lot, put in oven some what moist. If it drys out before you put it in the oven take a brush moisten it and touch the buildup until it appears a tad moist. It will help with steam cracks. I have found my best results just using water with my wet tray. It can also tend to pull away from the margins. It can also tend to lift on the occlusal surface in the fossa areas.

Top Bottom