Dental Lab CAD

S

Solid

Reaction score
starting a lab business and shopping for used scanner and software capable of long span frameworks, implants, surgical guides..
there is used cercon eye on ebay can it be used with exocad or 3shape software..?
any input on what would be a good starting point

A

adl

Reaction score
How much experience do you have with cad cam?

S

Solid

Reaction score
How much experience do you have with cad cam?
My only experience is designed couple demo cases 4years ago at a dental conference in Chicago. Starting a small lab and have no intention on wasting my time fabricating metal frameworks manually except for certain cases or maybe full gold crowns. I am also CompTIA A+ certified and as much as possible not looking to spend a lot for dental scanners thats in terms of modern day technology are considered primitive

H.Ross

H.Ross

Reaction score
Don't go for Cercon. get a 3shape or medit, then keep on upgrading your setup as the business grow

doug

doug

Reaction score
Any scanner with exocad. It's a business, you are going to have capital expenses. Don't go cheap

Edit for grammar

C

charles007

Reaction score
Welcome to DLN Solid..
My advice is to save or lease a new scanner and forget about buying used, and dependent on the particular scanner if buying used. Even considering Cercon suggests
your not up to speed on todays older and the new scanners which are not considered primitive for dental lab use, far from it.
fyi there is one company, Shinning 3D that has a model for around 9-10k, including Exocad. Fast scanner and probably the lowest priced scanners worth buying on the market.
Take a look at the Medit Hybrid, second choice DOF, and lastly Medit Blue. Hybrid scanning time process for both upper & lower models is 3 minutes, then go into Cad to design.
If you find a used scanner with Exocad, be aware of cost to update Exocad if the scanner doesn't have the newest updates.
Exocad that's not updated, you must pay for the years out of date ! Two years outdated Exocad would cost over $2000.00 just to catch up, plus another
year for the need 12 months going forward. On the other hand, Exocad software is not required
to update unlike 3shape scanners which are required to pay for yearly license fee.....
If your determined to buy used, start a new post on DLN such as "Looking for Used Scanner" From time to time DLN members sell their older scanners to buy
new. Also check with some of the leasing companies that lease to dental labs which occasionally know owners trying to sell their leased scanner and mills.

fyi: there are a lot of techs on dln that have a lot of knowledge about different brands of scanners if you need help and info on particular models, be it new or used scanner !

Last edited:
Juko

Juko

Reaction score
Tell us about yourself solid. Where are you from? How long have you been in dental tech field? What's your favorite color?

S

Solid

Reaction score
Welcome to DLN Solid..
My advice is to save or lease a new scanner and forget about buying used, and dependent on the particular scanner if buying used. Even considering Cercon suggests
your not up to speed on todays older and the new scanners which are not considered primitive for dental lab use, far from it.
fyi there is one company, Shinning 3D that has a model for around 9-10k, including Exocad. Fast scanner and probably the lowest priced scanners worth buying on the market.
Take a look at the Medit Hybrid, second choice DOF, and lastly Medit Blue. Hybrid scanning time process for both upper & lower models is 3 minutes, then go into Cad to design.
If you find a used scanner with Exocad, be aware of cost to update Exocad if the scanner doesn't have the newest updates.
Exocad that's not updated, you must pay for the years out of date ! Two years outdated Exocad would cost over $2000.00 just to catch up, plus another
year for the need 12 months going forward. On the other hand, Exocad software is not required
to update unlike 3shape scanners which are required to pay for yearly license fee.....
If your determined to buy used, start a new post on DLN such as "Looking for Used Scanner" From time to time DLN members sell their older scanners to buy
new. Also check with some of the leasing companies that lease to dental labs which occasionally know owners trying to sell their leased scanner and mills.

fyi: there are a lot of techs on dln that have a lot of knowledge about different brands of scanners if you need help and info on particular models, be it new or used scanner !
Shinning 3d said the software isn't included. it will cost 4k extra for basic only. Any feedback on its quality?

Tell us about yourself solid. Where are you from? How long have you been in dental tech field? What's your favorite color?
Lab technician for a lifetime now. used to live in Ontario Canada, recently moved to northern BC

Last edited by a moderator:
EJADA

EJADA

Reaction score
Beware of used unless you are experienced. I bought a used dental wings series 5 about 5 years ago. A total mistake. Wasted $$8000.00. I learned a lot but bruised my head beating it against the wall daily. Six months ago I bought a DOF Freedom HD WITH EXOCAD. Like driving a jaguar smooth yet powerful. I'm about to buy another. I can sell ya a dental wings 5 series. Hahaha. If you are inexperienced which it sounds like you are. You WILL need the year support. Call Dominion Milling They can hook ya up.

S

Solid

Reaction score
Beware of used unless you are experienced. I bought a used dental wings series 5 about 5 years ago. A total mistake. Wasted $$8000.00. I learned a lot but bruised my head beating it against the wall daily. Six months ago I bought a DOF Freedom HD WITH EXOCAD. Like driving a jaguar smooth yet powerful. I'm about to buy another. I can sell ya a dental wings 5 series. Hahaha. If you are inexperienced which it sounds like you are. You WILL need the year support. Call Dominion Milling They can hook ya up.
what did go wrong with your DW scanner? been looking into DL because their new scanners utilize blue laser technology which is better than blue LED in 3shape. Was it the DWOS software or the scanner itself you didn't like? what problems you encountered

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Since you live in BC, why not give Michael a call at Argen Canada.

1-866-722-7436

Last edited:
C

charles007

Reaction score
Shinning 3d said the software isn't included. it will cost 4k extra for basic only. Any feedback on its quality?

I know one lab that bought one and the scanner died in less than 12 months. Shinny 3D gave him the newer model that had just been released and is very pleased
with his results. His scanner is used in high production milling lab as compared to regular small lab like most of us. Guess their prices went up since I last asked.
Like I wrote above, I would look at Medit, DOF and add AG, ZZ scanners if you have those option.
Most important feature in buying a scanner is Support after sale. Before you buy from any company get referrals from several labs that bought from that same company.

fyi: There's a lot of poor scanner support in the world, and with mills ! so price is not your main concern. Buying a used scanner may not allow any support and you will need it.
Once you start looking at scanners with Exocad, you will notice slight differences in the program and see different anatomy libraries, especially ZZ which has a higher level of libraries with cutbacks.

Last edited:
S

Solid

Reaction score
Since you live in BC, why not give Michael a call at Argen Canada.

1-866-722-7436
Been in contact with mike. 30,000CAD minimum for D750 isn't something I can afford now. looking for no more than 15,000CAD top; there has to be something good in this range

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
Tell him you know what he did in 2007 and you'll make it public. Bam $14,995 ;)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
lease it over 5 years

6K/yr

$500/mnth.

Toothman19

Toothman19

Reaction score
There's a demo DOF swing unit for sale for $6800. Exocad is additional. Probably $4-5k range. PM me if your interested