Day splints....

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
I've got an account that wants to start doing these now with Clearsplint. I know these are made on the lower arch and I've seen some pictures of them. Are these the same thickness as regular nightguards with the lower anteriors exposed so the patient can talk more easily? Is the lingual bar necessary? If so, should I forego the Clearsplint and make them out of a hard acrylic? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Does this mean nobody has ever made one of these?

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Clearsplint / Durasplint is the same material I believe. They can be fabricated thinner, and are slightly flexible ( thermo) as they are more comfortable to the patient.
Between are hard acrylic and a Durasplint, I would rather fabricate the Durasplint. They remind me of the Flexite/Valplast paritals. Doctor can run them under warm water,
insert, come back in 5 minutes, slightly adjust and send the patient out the door...

wwcanoer

wwcanoer

Reaction score
Great Lakes 125 Biocryl Material works

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
I am really just looking for technique not so much the material. I will be using the Clearsplint but my question is...are these daysplints any thinner than regular nightguards? I know they are made on the lower arch and that the anteriors are not covered with material so the patient can speak....do I need to place a piece of braided wire or a lingual bar in the lingual of the splint?

AJEL

AJEL

Reaction score
I do them regularly, if the patient asks for the braided wire so so but it is not necessary, the anterior should go a smidgen over the incisal, depending on the lingual frenum and the patients feeling about lingual coverage, but the speech has less airy if the splint covers at least 4mm of tissue. If you have the time and the DDS pays for it waxing cingliums helps with speech, the lingual of the posterior depends on the tooth tilt, commonly the mandibular teeth tilt in and blockout is required I cover 3-8mm of tissue to reduce side tongue irritation. some of these are used as bite openers to determine the possible opening that can be obtained as a trial and when doing this I will use acetal like a snap on.

Not generally listed but Astron has tooth colored splint material, that can be a little more appeasing for patient especially the bolomiac bite adjuster prior to reconstruction. you have my number call me.

Last edited: