Custom Abutment questions

I

Iownmyjob

Reaction score
A doc wants me to supply custom Ti abutments. At the moment I have been using all stock ones and cutting them down. I did a custom Emax/ti hybrid for a sample but he just wants to use Ti. I told him there are a few companies I can outsource to, but he doesnt want me to outsource anything. Any suggestions as to where to go with this?

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
Keep ordering stock and adjusting, or get them milled...
Or tell him to buy you a wet mill...

I

Iownmyjob

Reaction score
What about NP Cast abutments anyone doing these in the lab? I think i can buy plastic bases and burn them out for a good fit

Big Guy

Big Guy

Reaction score
Sounds like he doesn't have much of a choice. You can buy UCLA type custom abuts. And cast them but they have to be cast out of gold not NP. The interface is pre fabbed all you have to do is fabricate the prep portion then cast.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Order NT-Trading ti bases and waxup your custom abutment.

remove the waxup from the base and cast in your metal of choice.

cement abutment to the base with rely x unicem or equivalent

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
If he doesn't want you to outsource it and you are not capable of doing it in house, then you have a few options. One buy a mill that can do it in house along with the needed software and all the accessories. (most likely not gonna happen!) Two see if the implant system he is using does cust Ti abuts but his is still considered out sourcing. Three like others have said tell him you will co a ucla abutment and cast it in the metal he prefers.

One question, why does the Doc want a custom abutment? Or will a stock abutment work? I have had plenty of Doc say custom Ti abutment but a simple stock abutment with little modification would of been just fine. Some docs just don't get it i guess.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
What about NP Cast abutments anyone doing these in the lab? I think i can buy plastic bases and burn them out for a good fit

I hate them , I only do them when no other option is available . It is nearly impossible to have a perfect casting , and a perfect fit of the interface to the implant . All the things the guys told you earlier are correct . Speak with your doc , tell him what the options are , and then let him decide . I am just curious , why he doesn't want you to outsource them ?

2oothguy

2oothguy

Reaction score
Why does he even have to know. I do what I think is best for that case, if it is something i think a stock abutment is fine then i go with that. If not then i go custom. Plus buy the time you add the cost of a cast to abutment then HN metal plus implant labor charges then 9 times out of 10 it is cheaper and better for you and the doc. Take him some info from your outsource provider and reassure him that his concerns are pob not reality. I remember when some Straumann reps were going round telling drs that only there stock abutments would match what was placed. I use Atlantis a lot and they can and will stop by the drs to give him pace of mind. They have plenty of info and people that can help you with this. And if not then raise your implant labor and show him the difference in price and in the quality. Heck just make two next time and go there face to face and show him the difference. And with Atlantis you can let him see the design before its milled so he is happy.

Top Bottom