Custom Abutment Pricing

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
So we're going to be rolling out in-house designed custom abutments as opposed to just using stock. Would anyone be willing to share some pricing information. We really aren't sure what to charge. We're located in the midwest. Can anyone tell me what range most labs in our market are charging for these? Thanks!

doug

doug

Reaction score
Look at the pricing model that Atlantis uses. They have a lab price and a clinical price. Allows the lab to recoup the labor for their service in the abutment process and keeps the fee to the docs reasonable. I think posting actual pricing on here publicly may be an anti-trust issue

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
what is the cost of your blank

what is your per-day ROI on the machine

what is your lab's salary on a per hour basis?

these must enter into the calculation of what it cost you to make the abutment.

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
I don't know what its like in your area, but we found when we offered in house custom milled ti abutments, docs wouldn't touch them, even at a much lower price point. They wanted genuine parts with warranties.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I read that he is designing in house not milling.

"in-house designed custom abutments as opposed to just using stock".

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
I read that he is designing in house not milling.

"in-house designed custom abutments as opposed to just using stock".
Correct. We are not doing the milling. Planning on using Argen. Just trying to figure out what most people charge when using this method.

Bryce Hiller

Bryce Hiller

Reaction score
I don't know what its like in your area, but we found when we offered in house custom milled ti abutments, docs wouldn't touch them, even at a much lower price point. They wanted genuine parts with warranties.
I don't think we've ever once had a doctor ask about "genuine parts" haha

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
ok, sorry. jumped the gun lol

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I think this is such a huge flaw in Docs thinking!!! Seriously, lets take a look at this...So say you send a custom abutment to whatever manufacturer to have a 'genuine' abutment made. I don't know about you, but I still end up making adjustments on that abutment when it comes back to me (and I'm sending them the dam model work, not even the scan/design). I've had to adjust many of Atlantis (although I will say they were the least out there),3i have to adjust half of them, straumann I won't even send anything to them...total junk. Same with Implant Direct and Glidewell. Also, if these 'genuine' companies are so concerned about being 'genuine' why they doing implant abutments for other implant manufacturers? Lastly, the Docs have this false sense of security that if you use 'genuine' that it will be a guarantee, newslflash...it's implants, their is a no guarantee, especially when Murphy's Law kicks in, and it will. To me, the 'genuine' is a pile of horse manure. I know, this just turned into a rant, but that's my two cents.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I think this is such a huge flaw in Docs thinking!!! Seriously, lets take a look at this...So say you send a custom abutment to whatever manufacturer to have a 'genuine' abutment made. I don't know about you, but I still end up making adjustments on that abutment when it comes back to me (and I'm sending them the dam model work, not even the scan/design). I've had to adjust many of Atlantis (although I will say they were the least out there),3i have to adjust half of them, straumann I won't even send anything to them...total junk. Same with Implant Direct and Glidewell. Also, if these 'genuine' companies are so concerned about being 'genuine' why they doing implant abutments for other implant manufacturers? Lastly, the Docs have this false sense of security that if you use 'genuine' that it will be a guarantee, newslflash...it's implants, their is a no guarantee, especially when Murphy's Law kicks in, and it will. To me, the 'genuine' is a pile of horse manure. I know, this just turned into a rant, but that's my two cents.
I'll add, the warranty is a scam! READ IT. They guarantee nothing except a new implant to the surgeon who placed it. There is no reimbursement for the surgeons time to remove, replace the implant. There is no reimbursement for the GP's time or expense to remove/replace the crown or any compensation for their time in doing so. And last but not lease, the lab. Well you know how that is going to go.....

Offer the exact same warranty to match the implant company that preaches genuine.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
I'll add, the warranty is a scam! READ IT. They guarantee nothing except a new implant to the surgeon who placed it. There is no reimbursement for the surgeons time to remove, replace the implant. There is no reimbursement for the GP's time or expense to remove/replace the crown or any compensation for their time in doing so. And last but not lease, the lab. Well you know how that is going to go.....

Offer the exact same warranty to match the implant company that preaches genuine.
Yep...seen this happen a few times!!! The GP was fuming...I just giggle and comment under my breath, now you know what it's like to be the lab sport :)

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score

scream till you are blue in the face, up here you wont make headway. on the praries and in the East as well as here in the west just an hour from RCKSTR, i can vouch - Canadian dentists and prosthos don't like custom abuts from anyone unless its not offered by the implant manufacturer; do a Hiossen custom abutment because Hiossen doesnt offer one, and you'll get business. but custom Nobel or Str, not likely.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
scream till you are blue in the face, up here you wont make headway. on the praries and in the East as well as here in the west just an hour from RCKSTR, i can vouch - Canadian dentists and prosthos don't like custom abuts from anyone unless its not offered by the implant manufacturer; do a Hiossen custom abutment because Hiossen doesnt offer one, and you'll get business. but custom Nobel or Str, not likely.
That's because there is just something wrong with Canadians.:D

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I do custom abutments from Argen for all my drs.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
tumblr_oeic8konuy1vs69vco1_500.gif

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Oh i hear ya...but I try to explain to them, why are we letting a most likely high school kid design/mill your custom abutment...and that is what is happening at that those milling places, just visit one sometime. So here you have a surgeon who did his part, and we are making a crown off something that most times have to be ground on more than a stock abutment. It takes time, but I'm relentless, and after awhile of getting smacked with that 'genuine' price tag, they finally start to get it. As for the original ops post...all depends, cement retained, screw retained, genuine, compatible, stock or custom abutment, anondized or not, providing extra screw or analog, a lot of factors to include for a quote.