Custom abutment and crown issue on 3shape?

C

CMPope

Reaction score
I'm using 3shape with a D2000 and an E3 scanner. When I create an order for a custom abutment + crown I design both at the same time, send abutment to implant manufacturer and mill the crown in-house. What ends up happening a lot of the time is the abutment gets grinded modified when we receive it or it won't fit the crown that designed with the abutment. Does anyone know why this might be?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I'm using 3shape with a D2000 and an E3 scanner. When I create an order for a custom abutment + crown I design both at the same time, send abutment to implant manufacturer and mill the crown in-house. What ends up happening a lot of the time is the abutment gets grinded modified when we receive it or it won't fit the crown that designed with the abutment. Does anyone know why this might be?
Have you verified that you are using the DME files the manufactures of each have supplied/specified?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
As JMN has pointed out it matters what the settings are. people often don't understand the issues when attempting to mill things within tolerance. especially from two different places. milled pieces from one machine do not equal milled pieces from another machine. thats not how it works in any CNC industry.

the two imes mills i have do not make parts that easily mate.

so i know what i'm talking about here.

please review your design principles, following a thorough review of the settings used for sending files to each manufacturer. best way to find out whats up is to send each place a prism, like a cylinder or cube, and have them mill it and send it back UNTOUCHED, because then you will see if you have parts coming back off-spec.

it is a nightmare right now getting and keeping calibration down for me. the rigours of cutting hard vs soft materials take a toll on your axes. throws things out of whack if you frequently change.

yet another reason to stick to a single material per mill (for dental purposes) but i digress

Mike2

Mike2

Reaction score
My guess is it may be that the company that mills the abutment has to put struts/part holders on the crown surface. When removing these by hand there could be residual material left that interferes with the crown seating. I agree with above posts and usually don't design split files for that reason. I make the abutment then scan and make crown to ensure a good fit. My 2 cents

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of these lately on my Straumann Abutment cases. I had Straumann put their DMEs onto my 3Shape. I mill the crowns here and they mill the abutments. I haven't had any issues with fit.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I increase my shoulder radius to 1.4 mm. This works better.

All my cases are split files now.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I increase my shoulder radius to 1.4 mm. This works better.

All my cases are split files now.
intelligently designing cases in this way is also the leading cause of good fits.

M

Minji

Reaction score
Who did you send the abutment out too? Have you tried any third parties who can mill precisely the way you design without hand-polishing?

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
giphy.gif

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Who did you send the abutment out too? Have you tried any third parties who can mill precisely the way you design without hand-polishing?
Argen gives me gold anodized with retention lines with 2 final screws .
Straumann charges 50$ more without anodization ,lines , and one screw .

M

Minji

Reaction score
Ooooo $50 and you don't come across any problems with them? I'm just asking since there are other third-parties just as nice that doesn't hand-polish. Guaranteed split-file.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Straumann's qc is very inconsistant. I have received unpolished turds with metal filings coated internally.

I don't know about you , but metal filings in my turds is not a pleasant experience.

M

Minji

Reaction score
Yikes. Have you tried Truabutment before? They don't hand-polish anything.

C

CMPope

Reaction score

Lately I think it has been mostly Argen abutments. There was a point in time with Straumann where literally every single abutment they milled for us was rotated around 15 degrees or so, luckily it has stopped happening now.

C

CMPope

Reaction score
Yikes. Have you tried Truabutment before? They don't hand-polish anything.
I don't think my lab has before. I have been at my job for around 1.5 years so I don't know what they may have done in the past. We pretty much only use abutments from the Original manufacturer, or from Argen, when Dr. wants it cheaper.

C

CMPope

Reaction score
My guess is it may be that the company that mills the abutment has to put struts/part holders on the crown surface. When removing these by hand there could be residual material left that interferes with the crown seating. I agree with above posts and usually don't design split files for that reason. I make the abutment then scan and make crown to ensure a good fit. My 2 cents

That is the way I first started doing it until my boss one day introduced file splitting, which made perfect sense to me. Also it saved me time by not having to scan the same case twice...Although I do end up having to scan it twice anyway when someone adjusts the abutment...It doesn't happen with every case though, something like 30%. Is that often enough to eliminate file splitting?

C

CMPope

Reaction score
Have you verified that you are using the DME files the manufactures of each have supplied/specified?

I have only been able to find the .DME files from their official sources. I usually acquire them from manufacturers website or by calling the company. I have however gotten two different versions of a manufacturers library from different employees before which was strange.

C

CMPope

Reaction score
I think someone might have mentioned some settings or parameters or somethingm only problem is I don't exactly know what each setting does, unless its obvious, and neither does my boss so he is afraid to change them. I want to be as efficient and productive as possible so I need to learn these settings. (the user manual for 3shape is broken for some reason) I must mention that I have no previous experience or education aside from what I learned on the job. My trainer is non-existent at work so I thank all of you that help me understand things better.