Costs of Emax blue blocks

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
So I'm toying around with the whole milling idea thing and was wondering what you guys have to pay for the Emax blue blocks. I called Ivoclar but they said I had to get them through Patterson. I currently outsource them for $45. Ivoclar did quote a price of $107 for a pack of 5...don't know why if I got to go through Patterson to get them. So that comes out to about $22/block. $23 savings before any other costs figured in doesn't sound like much. So does this price sound about right?

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

WDL-Cali-Cad-Man

Reaction score
Hi PDC,

its a little more cost effective if you get an ivoclar/weiland mill. The blocks come out to under 20 bucks.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
I believe you must buy a mill from Ivoclar in order to buy blue block from them.
Patterson charges $32 per block.
Probably better off pressing for now. Especially with all the new highly esthetic zirconia material coming.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
depends your mill; there are blueblocks for planmill, the interface is very different, as are the block prices.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Not totally up on Planmill but my understanding is it's a chairside solution. I think it's actually the D4D mill. Being a chairside mill I wonder how it would perform in a production environment. Most dentists do about 1 unit a day. I would guess that blue blocks are priced similar ($21ish) as Ivoclar is a part owner in E4D.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
it is. and as long as you take it fairly easy and arent too concerned with bugs in the mill software, it works just fine in production.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
Planmill in semi production environment here. 6000 milled with it. It is built pretty well. Solid aluminum frame and servo instead of stepper motors. Get it dialed in and keep it clean. 12-18 minutes per crown.
Blocks are not cheap, Uncle Hank is the only source. Boooo/Hisssss!

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Interesting, How long does it take to mill a crown in this mill when taking it easy? Do yo happen to know the tool cost per unit?
How bad are the bugs?
Thanks

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
when taking it easy about 20-22 mins. try and only do a handful a day and it will keep solid for a while. how bad are the bugs, well occasionally and with no warning the crown you mill will be calculated partially outside the block, leaving you one giant flatspot. when i called support i was told this happens only occasionally and to just remill it.

that's unacceptable really, so i limit what we do with it.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Planmill in semi production environment here. 6000 milled with it. It is built pretty well. Solid aluminum frame and servo instead of stepper motors. Get it dialed in and keep it clean. 12-18 minutes per crown.
Blocks are not cheap, Uncle Hank is the only source. Boooo/Hisssss!

What would be the "average time" for milling...and who is Uncle Hank?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Im just guessing, but I would wager that there will be some 98mm LD offerings at IDS..

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Im just guessing, but I would wager that there will be some 98mm LD offerings at IDS..
I don't think so. I believe end milling is problematic with LD. Milling a cube reduces end milling a lot. Not to mention cost of inventory. Bases on just $20 a unit for materials a 98mm disk would be about $500. Plus how many shades and thicknesses?? I don't think dics are practical for LD.

C

charles007

Reaction score
So I'm toying around with the whole milling idea thing and was wondering what you guys have to pay for the Emax blue blocks. I called Ivoclar but they said I had to get them through Patterson. I currently outsource them for $45. Ivoclar did quote a price of $107 for a pack of 5...don't know why if I got to go through Patterson to get them. So that comes out to about $22/block. $23 savings before any other costs figured in doesn't sound like much. So does this price sound about right?

Get quotes on tools and tool life ! which is said to be very short milling emax

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
What would be the "average time" for milling...and who is Uncle Hank?
Average 15 minuets. Luke knows Uncle Hank.
This mill is not really practical for a laboratory. There are cheaper alternatives.

PDC

PDC

Reaction score
Get quotes on tools and tool life ! which is said to be very short milling emax

Yeah, I just wonder what the net cost is on an Emax crown after you include all of these things? But then you have figure the time savings of all things associated with pressing. I think you would still come out ahead milling...unless you got 4-6 crowns of the same shade per pressing. It's a close call.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I don't think so. I believe end milling is problematic with LD. Milling a cube reduces end milling a lot. Not to mention cost of inventory. Bases on just $20 a unit for materials a 98mm disk would be about $500. Plus how many shades and thicknesses?? I don't think dics are practical for LD.

Well, you may not think so, but LS disks are being made, and sold already.
lddisk.jpg

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
affinity how do you approach milling that? with fluted carbide cutters?

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
I dont mill that..

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
ask these guys.. looks like butter to me.

Top Bottom