Combining two STLs into one.

H

HampeTC

Reaction score
I would second @CoolHandLuke ask the doctor to rescan even if you align it good enough it wont be as accurate as a proper arch scan. But if you really want to make the two scans into one unified mesh remember that the combine function in Meshmixer only "combines" the two meshes it does not stitch them together. For actually stitch them together into one mesh you will need to use the Boolian union feature, but its a bit more finicky then the combine feature. The way i would do it is cut away everything but the bridge on one scan and then try to boolian union that to the other scan and after that make the whole model water tight befor importing back into dental manager.

skärmklipp.JPG

MoosetheGoose

MoosetheGoose

Reaction score
I would second @CoolHandLuke ask the doctor to rescan even if you align it good enough it wont be as accurate as a proper arch scan. But if you really want to make the two scans into one unified mesh remember that the combine function in Meshmixer only "combines" the two meshes it does not stitch them together. For actually stitch them together into one mesh you will need to use the Boolian union feature, but its a bit more finicky then the combine feature. The way i would do it is cut away everything but the bridge on one scan and then try to boolian union that to the other scan and after that make the whole model water tight befor importing back into dental manager.

View attachment 40557
Ive already tried this exact workflow unfortunately.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
allow me to reiterate:

Garbage In = Garbage Out

you can't claim to be some sort of high quality massive skill lab and then work on this kind of sh1t.

you can sprinkle icing sugar on a turd, but that don't make it a jelly doughnut.

how many times do you want to redo the case MooseGoose? if you answered 4 or 5, keep on truckin baby, if you answered none, i can't help you.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I'm tempted to see if google images has that dusted turd you speak of.

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
You're better off overlaying the temp scan, then design both sides separately on their respected accurate scanned models. Once you design one side and have it where you want it, I would import that as your new 'temp' as to use it to mirror and finish off the other side (use the palate to match)... sure the preps might look to be aligned but your whole curve of spee/ wilson could be jacked

HonestAbe

HonestAbe

Reaction score
You're better off overlaying the temp scan, then design both sides separately on their respected accurate scanned models. Once you design one side and have it where you want it, I would import that as your new 'temp' as to use it to mirror and finish off the other side (use the palate to match)... sure the preps might look to be aligned but your whole curve of spee/ wilson could be jacked
That all makes a lot of sense but I got a newbie question here, won't the palate always be different for each impression since it's soft and pushed around when they impress?

I was thinking about this from the angle of the Sirona software. I've jumped from model to model while scanning before (and avoiding bad spots and stitching them together to take the good parts of two models. If there's enough similar between the two stls, I'm not sure how it works in the 3shape software but I would import one as my arch scan, import the other as a gingiva mask. If they associated and lined up and then I exported the stls, I think they would be lined up when I brought them into meshmixer and could be edited and combined.

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
Maybe if its an impression, I guess I just assumed they were scans then in which point, it wouldn't matter (one point on the ridge, one point on a cusp) Psh if they're impressions? I'd make gc resin copings for all preps and have dr take a pick up (he could even verify margins at that point) and then I'd make a master model from the picked up copings and continue on my merry way

MoosetheGoose

MoosetheGoose

Reaction score
allow me to reiterate:

Garbage In = Garbage Out

you can't claim to be some sort of high quality massive skill lab and then work on this kind of sh1t.

you can sprinkle icing sugar on a turd, but that don't make it a jelly doughnut.

how many times do you want to redo the case MooseGoose? if you answered 4 or 5, keep on truckin baby, if you answered none, i can't help you.
Doctors already aware it probably wont work. He wants us to try our best regardless. I agree with you though.

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
Doctors already aware it probably wont work. He wants us to try our best regardless. I agree with you though.
Instead of processing for finish, why don't you mill 'final' in PMMA as a try in? If everything looks good design/ function wise and is approved by dr, you can then mill for final. If not, you can have dr take pick up of PMMA crowns (they'd be the same as copings) to make one master model and then process? I mean set a standard of how you guys do business- you're still working towards a final product, there's no point in wasting costs/ time of final materials to appease some dr who doesn't want to do proper the work... to each their own though, I understand people have bosses but this is the kinda stuff that is tough on our industry and makes it difficult for others to set standards. Dr doesn't know what he's/ she's doing in terms of the processing of product- don't suggest and be passive, lead and direct the process so your work and therefore his/ her work will be symbiotic and successful

bigj1972

bigj1972

Reaction score
allow me to reiterate:

Garbage In = Garbage Out

I hope there is an extra "Technology Fee" added.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
you need to combine and or boolean to make a single stl then select all and remesh in MM and you can do exactly what you want.

working with the multiple files today and having the ability to make this work is no different than having 5 PVS impression or multiple dies to merge in digitally.

Hell back in the analog days sealing a waxed up roundhouse prior to casting with seperate dies and achieving a non rocking high nobel bridge with 30dwt of alloy was way more challenging :)

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Hell back in the analog days sealing a waxed up roundhouse prior to casting with seperate dies and achieving a non rocking high nobel bridge with 30dwt of alloy was way more challenging :)

I used to do those in 2 sections, designing the solder joint areas accordingly. Even with some of the 8+ unit cases that involved multiple abutments.

Pronto

Pronto

Reaction score
you need to combine and or boolean to make a single stl then select all and remesh in MM and you can do exactly what you want.

working with the multiple files today and having the ability to make this work is no different than having 5 PVS impression or multiple dies to merge in digitally.

But, you always had the option of cutting and soldering a frame or adding to a margin. No can do with the big Z. All the time and materials spent on this case will most likely be all for nothing. Then the Dr will rescan like they should have and tell the patient it was the labs fault. Ask me how I know...

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
But, you always had the option of cutting and soldering a frame or adding to a margin. No can do with the big Z. All the time and materials spent on this case will most likely be all for nothing. Then the Dr will rescan like they should have and tell the patient it was the labs fault. Ask me how I know...
Be smart ALWAYS MAKE A PMMA PROTOTYPE cheap insurance and if you roll it into the fees they can't say no and if they do then its on their dime

ToofMaker

ToofMaker

Reaction score
If you want to shoot over the files I can append them if this hasn't already been resolved