Cheap options for outsourcing designs to be milled and stained and glazed?

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Basically my question is the title. Anyone have any experience outsourcing designs to be milled, and having them doing the staining so it can go strait to the doctor on modelless cases? Which places have you found to be best?

npdynamite

npdynamite

Reaction score
I have heard of something kind of like that, but it's a pretty tricky gig. The biggest difficulty I would foresee is it being difficult to develop solid doctor relationships due to the final product being somewhat out of your hands. Then there is also the possibility of the doctor deciding to go straight to the lab doing the finish work because if the cases are going straight from them to the doctor I imagine the doctor could figure out who they are

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you can outsource or you can do model-less. you cannot do both.

and you really REALLY shouldn't be letting product go out of your doors that you haven't checked.

this is asking for trouble tbh.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Basically my question is the title. Anyone have any experience outsourcing designs to be milled, and having them doing the staining so it can go strait to the doctor on modelless cases? Which places have you found to be best?
not sure how "cheap" you want to go, but this is something we do for other labs that do not have the capacity to mill. they either A. send us a designed crown that we mill/sinter/stain/glaze and return OR B. send us ditched models that we scan/design/mill/sinter/stain/glaze and return.

been doing this for years and no issues. it all depends upon the skill of the individuals you choose to handle these types of cases

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
you can outsource or you can do model-less. you cannot do both.

and you really REALLY shouldn't be letting product go out of your doors that you haven't checked.

this is asking for trouble tbh.
def can do both as we help labs (and practices) do both on a weekly basis

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
The
not sure how "cheap" you want to go, but this is something we do for other labs that do not have the capacity to mill. they either A. send us a designed crown that we mill/sinter/stain/glaze and return OR B. send us ditched models that we scan/design/mill/sinter/stain/glaze and return.

been doing this for years and no issues. it all depends upon the skill of the individuals you choose to handle these types of cases
These people that you do the stain and glaze for, are they doing modelless the whole process or are they checking it when they receive them back from you guys? I’d like the ability to go modelless and outsource. What’s your lab charge for that?

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
When you look for cheap, that's normally what you get. Quality or cheap, take your pick, you can't have both!
I’d like something right in the middle

K

Kiper Lee

Reaction score
These people that you do the stain and glaze for, are they doing modelless the whole process or are they checking it when they receive them back from you guys? I’d like the ability to go modelless and outsource. What’s your lab charge for that?
Of course you'll need to check the crown back to you, how reckless if you don't. but if you have plenty of dentists/practices that you don't care losing some, that's another matter.
Modelless only suitable for FCZ, if you are suggesting outsource oversea then AFAIK approximately 5-8$ per unit.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
The

both. i have a client that is completely model-less and doesnt have a printer. as far as i know, they just deliver the crowns as they get them. really, they are a middle-man and its been working out for a couple years.
another client that sends me designed crowns has models for at least some of their cases. they scan and design (or design from a digital scan) and send me the file to mill and glaze. they also, i believe, check cases on the model before delivery. at least i presume they do, but dont know for sure. i mid my business and they mind theirs but there is a market for both avenues
shoot me a message if you'd like to discuss things further, i would be happy to have some dialogue

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Why wouldn't you always want quality? Would you want something in the middle in your mouth?
like a tongue. who wants that in the middle of their mouth? LaughEviltongue

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Why wouldn't you always want quality? Would you want something in the middle in your mouth?
At a certain point, an increase in quality in this field just means a change in preference of whoever is doing the work. As long as you can provide something structurally sound that fits the persons mouth correctly, I don’t think an amazing aesthetic result is the end goal in every patients mind. Some patients just want a good solid crown that doesn’t break and don’t give a crap about looks. I’m still trying to figure everything out though, I’m looking at starting my own business and just sort of brain storming multiple ideas right now.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
At a certain point, an increase in quality in this field just means a change in preference of whoever is doing the work. As long as you can provide something structurally sound that fits the persons mouth correctly, I don’t think an amazing aesthetic result is the end goal in every patients mind. Some patients just want a good solid crown that doesn’t break and don’t give a crap about looks. I’m still trying to figure everything out though, I’m looking at starting my own business and just sort of brain storming multiple ideas right now.
Now that is something totally different. Structurally sound is not cheap. Cheap is you get what you pay for, something that isn't going to last.

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
Now that is something totally different. Structurally sound is not cheap. Cheap is you get what you pay for, something that isn't going to last.
Well that’s not what I want, I want a result that stops in quality once it hits the point of diminishing returns.

Sorry should’ve clarified better.

doug

doug

Reaction score
Why not send it to Jim Glidewell, return to doc, collect check. They fit all of your requirements, and Jim will happily take your money.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Why not send it to Jim Glidewell, return to doc, collect check. They fit all of your requirements, and Jim will happily take your money.
ive done enough g-well remakes to know that quality isnt forefront in the GW handbook. i mean, ive seen worse....but ive seen significantly better. id like to think my work is far above and beyond the GW standards

KingGhidorah

KingGhidorah

Reaction score
I think the way I heard it explained is that glide well has an acceptable percentage of remakes that they consider okay, and it’s something like 30 percent or something ridiculous. Idk I can’t remember, the point is glide well is nowhere near the quality I’d like to go for, plus they pay there techs horribly. Plus I’ve dealt with glidewell in the past and nobody has any idea what there talking about, you could call up five times, ask the same question each time, and get five different answers depending on who you talk to.

Car 54

Car 54

Donator
Reaction score
Plus I’ve dealt with glidewell in the past and nobody has any idea what there talking about, you could call up five times, ask the same question each time, and get five different answers depending on who you talk to.
Agree, been through that one before with them.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
The type of work you want to sell is being done chairside. Drs can have designs done through AI such as 3 Shape automate .
They really don't need you .

Top Bottom