Cerec connect into 3Shape

rlhhds

rlhhds

Reaction score
I know there has been discussion in the past about this. I have a new client who might want to do modelless cases with Cerec. What is the latest word regarding the possibility of importing Cerec scans into 3Shape. Thanks

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
You have to design with the Inlab software. We had the reps in here trying to pressure them into doing something to keep us from using the horrible Inlab software. Long story short, we are using the Inlab software:(

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
cerec user buys module to export case files in stl, the rest is easy

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
I was told that's not an option anymore...

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Well you can export the .stl file of the crown and mill on anything, but still have to use Inlab to design.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
i just opened my software. here are pics to demonstrate the process.

start here

double click as demonstrated

click

click

save as

and share using your dropbox or other service such as 3shapecommunicate or home ftp. this file as shown above for 4 units on a full arch saves 1 .stl file - the model. this model as a full arch for me was 14Mb. small enough for attachments on almost any email service.

opposing arch was 11Mb

software version 4.0.2.45144

you can tell how often we use this software given the number of cases in my start screen.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
So that file is still able to import into 3shape to design. I was under the impression they stopped that capability.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
let me talk to the boss, maybe we will begin offering that service to the public at a nominal fee. send us your .lab to convert to stl and email to the lab of your choice (or leave it with us). he gets back from holidays next week so i won't get a chance to talk to him till then.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Just to clear it up, we are talking about exporting the model files to import into 3shape correct? I have the .stl export module for Inlab, but it exports the restoration .stl file, not the model .stl file. Our whole issue is designing with Inlab when we have 3shape.

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
You can export the models as well. There are two licenses. Both 2500 each.... A year.

If you never make a decision then your possibilities are endless.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
point of reference, i don't have any restorations saved for these orders. i am guessing that as soon as you save something it will be the thing that gets exported.

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
I'm checking with my rep on that module. I see that where you are exporting, it's under the restoration, not the model. When you export from that area, doesn't it just export the restoration file, not the model? Can you provide some screenshots of you exporting the .stl model file and importing into 3shape?

Alex de Vos

Alex de Vos

Reaction score
Sometimes 3shape can be funny when you use external scans and plan on using modelbuilder
Modelbuilder would want the scan to be completely unsectioned but normal dentaldesigner will work perfectly fine with a sectioned scan

Smithwick0208

Smithwick0208

Reaction score
Sometimes 3shape can be funny when you use external scans and plan on using modelbuilder
Modelbuilder would want the scan to be completely unsectioned but normal dentaldesigner will work perfectly fine with a sectioned scan
I would just be interested in using the model files to design in 3shape instead of Inlab.

IVY

IVY

Reaction score
i just opened my software. here are pics to demonstrate the process.

start here

double click as demonstrated

click

click

save as

and share using your dropbox or other service such as 3shapecommunicate or home ftp. this file as shown above for 4 units on a full arch saves 1 .stl file - the model. this model as a full arch for me was 14Mb. small enough for attachments on almost any email service.

opposing arch was 11Mb

software version 4.0.2.45144

you can tell how often we use this software given the number of cases in my start screen.
Cool hand, did you guys pay extra for the export option to stl....I don't have it.

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
You can export the models as well. There are two licenses. Both 2500 each.... A year.

Last time I checked when we had a Cerec dentist asking about doing some Zircon crowns there was also an option to get .stl files through Infinident for $16....are they still selling the converted files?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
exporting the model file is what i have detailed above. importing the model into 3shape... alright...

new order; a cerec scan that has holes will need to have them filled if you select Digital Impression and intend on making a model, because model builder doesn't like sectioned scans, it even goes funny for itero files.

right click on your file, hit Import as shown below

it will ask you for the prep scan first and the Antagonist afterward (if you have one marked in the order)

now all you need to do is annotate the die before you mark the margins and continue.

Last edited:
CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
you should have the option to export a .lab anyway, and someone should be able to import that .lab and immediately xport to stl

krashd133

krashd133

Reaction score
you should have the option to export a .lab anyway, and someone should be able to import that .lab and immediately xport to stl

Thats how I did it with Infinident, export a .lab file and they converted it.....anyone on here with the export dongle willing to do it for me also?