CAM Computer specs

M

macminn

Reaction score
What computer specs should I look for in a CAM computer using Sum3d?

Also, how long does it typically take to generate the G-code for let's say a puck with 12 units on it? Our computer seems to take a very long time to do that, 90 minutes or so.

Last edited:
eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
considering SUM3D is still only 32-bit, don't go crazy. 64 bit is on the way though.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Its still running just a problem in the simulation part.

They're still trying to figure out how to integrate it into the new 64 bit code...
BTW...The simulation part ( and many other features like 5th axis) is not Sum3D development...it is licensed from a third party sw developer...quite a few cam packages are using it out there...

cadfan

cadfan

Reaction score
They're still trying to figure out how to integrate it into the new 64 bit code...
BTW...The simulation part ( and many other features like 5th axis) is not Sum3D development...it is licensed from a third party sw developer...quite a few cam packages are using it out there...

They thought it works but either no one else than me had this problem or nobody runs the simulation or its an mill specific problem they work 2-3 weeks now on it.They lost the 64 bit project guy while he was on holiday in his home country the Ukraine hes k...d.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
we actually currently have a custom strategy that mills continuous 5 axis in the roland. looks crazy, but gets every nook and cranny for our screw retained bridges.

MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score
What computer specs should I look for in a CAM computer using Sum3d?

Also, how long does it typically take to generate the G-code for let's say a puck with 12 units on it? Our computer seems to take a very long time to do that, 90 minutes or so.

Specs:
Operating System:
W7 or Windows 8.1 - 32 or 64 Bit (Most nee computers come with W8.1 nowadays)

Recommended CPU:
Intel Core i7 or better. (Avoid AMD)

Memory (RAM):
8-16GB of RAM (The more RAM, the more multitasking capability, IE: Multiple instances of SUM3D.)
- If the you have more than 4GB of RAM : you should have a 64-Bit OS that can take advantage of that.

Graphics Card:
Nvidia GT series graphics card with at least 1GB or more of dedicated video memory (Not Shared/ Dynamic Memory - Avoid AMD / ATI graphics cards)
You can also go Quattro on the graphics card if you want a more stable driver base from NVidia. Consumer driven - graphics cards can sometimes have volatile updates to try and fix issues with video games that they're designed to run.

HDD Size is discretionary based on how many STL files and Job Files will be stored / backed up on the machine. SSD Hard Drives (Solid State) will help read / write times slightly but are not necessary.
You can get a smaller HDD if you plan on backing all of your files up on a network drive - I recommend this.

I say avoid AMD Processors and Graphics cards - In reality we have some user out there fairing pretty well with AMD setups, but I've seen random issues pop up here and there and I've always seemed to have linked this back to the CPU / Graphics Card. My advice is to play it save and stick to Intel / Nvidia.

To answer your question about slow calculation time, this can be due to a number of different factors:
  • Strategy Detail - If the strategy is too detailed (IE: 0.05mm step down on Zirconia) the software will take an excessive amount of time to generate toolpaths because lets face it, there's a ton of them that are really unnecessary.
  • 3rd Party Programs / Security Software - 3rd party programs running in the background and Security Software seem to interfere with our software. Make sure unnecessary programs are closed and that any security software has SUM3D's Folders and Processes on the exclusion list. - Security suites are generally resource hogs anyway.
  • Low Hardware Specs - If the computer is old, you may be in need of an upgrade.

MikeW

MikeW

Reaction score
Just to note about my above specs - These are what I "recommend". These are not the minimum requirements. If I had my way, they would be. :)