Boyles Plates for Tooth Set Up

R

rheinallt

Reaction score
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can get a set of Boyles plates in order to set up denture teeth?

They haven't been available in the UK for many years, they are curved metal plates that allow easy tooth set up along the appropriate angles.

Many thanks,

Rheinallt

CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
Dentsply still has a u shaped template with the curve in it as does a lot of articulating systems.

denturist-student

denturist-student

Reaction score
I have a 20 33 degree setup plate as you call them. In school we are taught never to use them. I do use them to initialise the setup...Technically they only work if the first molar is sitting directly under the midpoint of the distance between the incisal guide and teminal hinge axix on the articulator....Any where else and one has to apply Hanau's quint and alter tone of the parameters. Using 20 degree teeth they can be used sparingly...We use facebows so sometimes the casts are not directly beneath the midpoint.
We do use them when prescribing tooth modifications for partial dentures....If the curve of spee is too great then we can ask a dentist to carve some enamel off one of the interfering cusps to enable some better contact on a single or partial denture......One of my classmates has just such a case where the jaw is so small that the facebow puts it almost at 3/4s of the distance so he has to order 33 degree teeth as well as 20 degree teeth.....
We do facebow mountings for all of our cases.....it is a really nice thing to have because the occlusion as setup will work usually flawlessly during the try in.......So I would use the templates sparingly.....Take care....Dan

Top Bottom