Asxys or CAP

S

sensei

Reaction score
Our milling bill is getting pretty high and we are looking at doing our milling in house. It is mostly narrowed down two options:

1. The new Roland DWX-51 through CAP with SumDental CAM software.

2. The Versamill 5xs from Axsys with Hyperdent software.

Price is close enough to be a non-issue. Versamill has a slight advantage in that it can do nicely detailed e.max, but that is not a dealbreaker for me. I am looking to hear opinions on the ease of using the software and the level of support from each company. I know there are some cheaper options out there, but I want a company with knowledge and support. I want the transition to in-house milling to be as painless as possible.

Any input is appreciated.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
just fyi versamill from axsys is sold with delcam not hyperdent. unless they are also offering hyperdent but i don't think so?

alfredmorad@gmail.com

[email protected]

Reaction score
Hi CoolHandLuke
Yes we offer the choice of Hyperdent or Dentmill. We prefer the Hyperdent for the 5XS. However it all depends on the customers needs.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Cannot go wrong with CAP, we went from a scratch start to: 2 Rolands, one Ceramill and 3 scanners in 2 years with CAP, and they have always got our backs.
They always have something of value to add, giving insight and guidance not just selling a system.

We have not worked with Axsys, so I can't offer comment one way or the other on them.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I think first you have to decide what milling machine suits you . Those two you mentioned , are completely different if you compare them . Different price tag also . Not apples to apples comparison IMO .

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
I am biased, obviously, but the Roland DWX-51D is quickly becoming industry standard for affordable 5-axis dry mills just like its older brother the Roland DWX-50.

Our 15+ person support team is a very important piece to what we offer to our customers and we have now introduced a Milling and CAM CAPZilla at no additional cost. This might take a great CAM software like Sum3D and make it the best in the industry. Bob and I made a video with some details on what it means: Link

Okay, I'm done tooting my own horn. :Top: Vroam

Last edited:
rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
I am bias, obviously, but the Roland DWX-51D is quickly becoming industry standard for affordable 5-axis dry mills just like its older brother the Roland DWX-50.

Our 15+ person support team is a very important piece to what we offer to our customers and we have now introduced a Milling and CAM CAPZilla at no additional cost. This might take a great CAM software like Sum3D and make it the best in the industry. Bob and I made a video with some details on what it means: Link

Okay, I'm done tooting my own horn. :Top: Vroam

Found a shirt for you , Sam!

Horn.jpg

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Our milling bill is getting pretty high and we are looking at doing our milling in house. It is mostly narrowed down two options:

1. The new Roland DWX-51 through CAP with SumDental CAM software.

2. The Versamill 5xs from Axsys with Hyperdent software.

Price is close enough to be a non-issue. Versamill has a slight advantage in that it can do nicely detailed e.max, but that is not a dealbreaker for me. I am looking to hear opinions on the ease of using the software and the level of support from each company. I know there are some cheaper options out there, but I want a company with knowledge and support. I want the transition to in-house milling to be as painless as possible.

Any input is appreciated.

Look for good support, believe me you are going to need it. Call CAP

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
What kind of material are you wanting to mill? I suggest that someone starting out

always go with the dry mill first. Then as you get used to milling and what to expect, then

leap into the wet milling side of things. Dedicate the mills as wet or dry...it's too much

hassle cleaning and going back and forth, trust me.

S

seongjini

Reaction score
If you are new to cad/cam, I think CAP is your answer.
great support and education.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
What kind of material are you wanting to mill? I suggest that someone starting out

always go with the dry mill first. Then as you get used to milling and what to expect, then

leap into the wet milling side of things. Dedicate the mills as wet or dry...it's too much

I think going back and forth from wet to dry and back to wet can be a big deal. It depends on the mill. I got a Ceramill in my lab. Its really build to go back and forth, no problem. I have had other miles where I have done it and it created problems.
The wet or dry only thought process should be based on need and ROI.
The key here is justifying the added cost for wet using an ROI.

Last edited:
neila

neila

Reaction score
Look no further than CAP. Support is second to none, we have a number of Rolands from them and have had The DWX 51D for a month now, it is great

S

sensei

Reaction score

Greg at axsys told me he recommends just milling everything wet. Said it saves on machine and tool life. I guess the downside is drying your zirc before you sinter. Is there another downside?

S

sensei

Reaction score
I think first you have to decide what milling machine suits you . Those two you mentioned , are completely different if you compare them . Different price tag also . Not apples to apples comparison IMO .
They are actually within a few thousand dollars of each other when all is said and done. That is a chunk if change but not enough to sway me one way or the other.
They both will do zirc, peek, pmma. The versamill can also do e.max. Pretty similar unless I am missing something.

LA Ceramics

LA Ceramics

Reaction score
Wait,..so CAP must have showed you the Ceramill motion 2 right?,..and you wanted the DWX51 4w ? Was it a price thing? Just wondering Hmmmm2

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
The versamill can do wet and/or dry. Change over is not a problem due to quality construction and isolation/sealing of internals and machining area.

Regarding machine quality, there is really no comparison. Take an in-depth look at the DWX-51D and its clear that the 5XS, with its larger pre-loaded ball screws, linear guide way system, heavier axes drive motors, 500W/60,000 rpm spindle, heavy frame (2X heavier than Roland),superior zero-stack tolerance rotary drive system and more, is by far a more significant and trouble-free machine.

Regarding support, CAP has a good reputation, as do we... and for a reason. I don't see you going wrong with either.

For the money, it is my biased (and educated) opinion that the 5XS is the best available at its price point and even beats out many of the more expensive machines that are referenced in high regard on this forum.

Now where's that T-shirt that Sam has from Ron? :)

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
They are actually within a few thousand dollars of each other when all is said and done. That is a chunk if change but not enough to sway me one way or the other.
They both will do zirc, peek, pmma. The versamill can also do e.max. Pretty similar unless I am missing something.
I thought Versamill was around 80 k region and it can also mill metal .

brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score

Last edited:
brayks

brayks

Sponsors
Reaction score
I thought Versamill was around 80 k region and it can also mill metal .
You are thinking about the 5X-200, the flagship of our versamill line.
sensei is referring to the new 5-axis 5XS which has a list price of $29,900.
There is also the 4-axis 4X-100 which will also machine metal. The 4X-100 is priced between the 5X-200 and 5XS.

Top Bottom