Are RPD's significant

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I've never used acetal clasps. They're not common here, eg I've never seen them used ever. I was worried about trying them because I wasn't sure about long term success from staining and fracture etc etc, or even how effective they are. Would like to add them as an option so really interested in knowing how you've found them? Anything to be aware of when fabricating/finishing?

Re flexibles. I agree with what you guys have said, but my point was we seldom have problems with co/cr frames, so the need for flexibles should be practically non existent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They will stain as anything really will. They will not fracture without a LOT of intentional bending, but they will become less retentive and pull away from the tooth after a long enough period of time. Especially if the pt is a heavy hot coffee or hot tea drinker.

I have one out that at 1 year recall was still looking quite good. A clear Flexite. A few others here and there, but not with docs that keep me informed, not a great demand around here. Those with higher esthetic demands usually have the money to go implant retained or supported.

P

PDLtd

Reaction score
They will stain as anything really will. They will not fracture without a LOT of intentional bending, but they will become less retentive and pull away from the tooth after a long enough period of time. Especially if the pt is a heavy hot coffee or hot tea drinker.

I have one out that at 1 year recall was still looking quite good. A clear Flexite. A few others here and there, but not with docs that keep me informed, not a great demand around here. Those with higher esthetic demands usually have the money to go implant retained or supported.

Thanks for the advice. I've tried the clear FRS clasps but found them more work than anyone could reasonably be expected to pay. And they 'yellow' after a period of time so don't use them anymore.

nvarras

nvarras

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I've tried the clear FRS clasps but found them more work than anyone could reasonably be expected to pay. And they 'yellow' after a period of time so don't use them anymore.

I use predominantly acetal. I've tried visiclear and duraflex clasps on chrome. The acetal is more resilient and looks better in my opinion. You do have to get the proper placement of the clasp. You're using height of contour rather than undercut gauges and remember to block out around the shoulder. Also the junction where the acrylic meets the acetal is important. I tend to slightly over build acrylic in this area and tuck entry point of the clasp underneath (especially important when I put these on all acrylic partials. The ones I've seen come back have been great. The stains clean right up. I've had one case where retention was a problem and that was because there was no undercut on the tooth. I haven't had one break yet but I won't use them when I think breakage will be a problem.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
i prefer ww clasps.

Top Bottom