3Shape scanner isnt calibrating.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I put in the lighted dot plate and clicked continue...

It makes a whirring sound for a moment like usual, but slightly louder(?) and then abruptly stops and makes a very high pitched tone for a few seconds, then nothing. It says 'calibrating cameras, but its been sitting silent for 30 minutes. Any ideas?

It also wont let me cancel or click previous or X out of it.

If I open the scanner door, it knows it I tried to skip the calibration to do a quick case, but the scan looks messed up. Big Time.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
unplug the scanner power down the computer and take a deep breath for 10 minutes. power the computer first, plug in the scanner, and try it again.

user name

user name

Reaction score
hey Luke. I did...same thing. The sound it makes me think like something is jammed. When the scanner is off, is it ok to reach in and rotate things?

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
when it is off, yes.

what happens when you start the scan server software ?

user name

user name

Reaction score
I restarted the calibration. Sounds like it makes a couple wild swings and then like a rubber brake gets slammed on (squeak) and a super high pitched tone for a couple secs. Now its just been sitting with the dot plate saying its calibrating cameras...for almost 45 minutes. Im getting worried.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I would think if something were screwy it would pop up an error, but its just sitting.
At the bottom of the calibration window there are the 'previous' and 'cancel' buttons, but my cursor doesn't recognize that theyre there.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I opened the door and stopped the calibration. I started a scan on a simple case, and it seems to be working ok...but maybe noisier than it used to be. is there any lubrication that ever needs to be done, or any other routine maintenance?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Freakin heart burn. Any way...what is happening in the calibration process? I read in a different thread that you (Luke) didn't do it often. The cameras don't actually move, do they? Whats going on with the dot plate and then with the object?

At least things seem to be functioning right now. Ill try another shot at the cal. before I go home.

Its the fear of the unknown and feeling unable to control the situation that's the worst.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
this is the d710 i take it? or the 810? with the illuminated red light calibration plate that plugs into the inside of the scanner?

user name

user name

Reaction score
Except for the fact that I would never smash my guitars, this could very well look like me...at the end of the day when things don't go right.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
ok, i have had a similar issue; you plug in the plate and the cord gets tangled.

what youve got to do is try the calibration again but un-tangle the cord.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
3shape scanners don't really need frequent calibration; not until you physically see corrupted scans. you could go up to 6 months without calibrating sometimes, if the climate in the room co-operates and can be consistently kept at the same temperature.

with the cord wrapped around the plate you can un-tangle it by simply wrapping the cord in the other direction before starting the scan.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Thanks Luke. That wasn't the issue, but I had thought it. Being its sunday, and fathers day, and Im stuck at the lab...maybe Ive just been tied up in such a mental knot that Ive been giving off powerful negative energy and its been messing with the electronics. far fetched, but who knows. my daughters just walked in and I felt a calmness...so I tried again, and everything seems fine. go figure.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Im sure everyone that has a life will read these and catch up on Monday. I just got the opportunity to actually speak with Luke. Thanks man. I still don't know what was causing the issue, but I appreciate that you were willing to help. Respect.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
hey man, relax. first thing first, let everything turn off and boot down.

secondly, how much debris has fallen into the scanner? it's possible maybe some is clogging things up.

try again in a little bit and see how it goes. who's your reseller?

We recalibrate almost every week because the rooms fluctuate beyond 5 degrees celsisus

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
High pitch noise coming from the steppers means stalling....check for obstructions or loose cables....

Labwa

Labwa

Reaction score
I havnt had this happen out of the blue but have had something similar happen when after an update. turned out an uninstall and reinstall of the scan suite. Long shot but I would be trying anything at that point.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Contact your supplier and they can hook you up with 3 Shape tech support.

I had a remote calibration performed by them .

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
A friend of mine took the case off and greased different. Areas of his scanner. Said it operates better than new. He said it was part of the fix 3shape would do for older scanners that were having issues. I'll see if i can contact him about where to apply it. May not be the fix you need but still good to know

If you never make a decision then your possibilities are endless.