3shape Implant Studio

N

NerdAlert

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is currently using 3shape Implant Studio in a clinical setting? I have talked to multiple people and they all have told me that they are currently testing it. I would like to start offering guides to my docs and am considering purchasing it but am hesitant to until I hear how the guides are actually working clinically. I also still do have a few other questions that have not been answered for me and am wondering if anyone knows the answers.

1. Where do I buy the guide tubes from? How much do they cost?
2. How difficult are they to seat? Do I need extra tools for that?
3. I see that 3i and Nobel have been added to the list of implants. However it does not list if they can be used in the guides and if they are fully guided. Anyone know?
4. Does anyone have any experience with other surgical guide software and which one do you like the best?

Thanks for any help. Greatly appreciated!!

--BTW, I do not currently have a printer and am not considering buying one in the near future. Anyone care to give me quotes on surgical guide printing? Thanks!

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Implant studio is a separate addon to 3shape that costs nearly the same as the program itself. it is quite pricey.

essentially it takes CBCT data and allows you to work backwards - design the crown, the abutment, then place the implant and then create a guide.

thats 4 tandem design outputs (crown, abutment, model with implant, guide).

that's a lot of work. a lot more than typically necessary for single implants.

go to youtube and look for a video featuring CeraRoot; in it they use a drill guide - improperly. by sheer dumb luck the placement appears successful but anyone should be able to see how far off angle they are.

anyhow, since the cost is through the roof, the added 3dprinting cost is out of this league already. if you want clear ones you can make them sans metal collars and save some time and labor.

if you want ones made send your CBCT data to places like proto3000 or 3i and have them do it up.

dropping 6 figure dollars at 4 figure implants makes little sense to me.

alternatively if you like headaches you can process CBCT data for free with an open source program that is exceptionally hard to use and impossibly hard to navigate.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I guess I'll take that as a no...
I have experience with PlanMeca, Anatomage, and 360 Imaging planning software.
There are no guide 'tubes' they are more like rings that accommodate the different drill guides from pilot bit to final and they are specific to the surgical kit the surgeon uses. Some of the manufacturing companies have their own kits some have solutions for most of the kits on the market.
Most of the companies want you to use their software to have a guide made.
Most come with a printed model along with the guide. There is no seating procedure, it either fits or it doesn't. Haven't had one not fit yet.
Not sure the implant suite for 3shape has been officially released yet.

N

NerdAlert

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the responses guys. Really appreciate the thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N

NerdAlert

Reaction score
I have experience with PlanMeca, Anatomage, and 360 Imaging planning software.
There are no guide 'tubes' they are more like rings that accommodate the different drill guides from pilot bit to final and they are specific to the surgical kit the surgeon uses. Some of the manufacturing companies have their own kits some have solutions for most of the kits on the market.
Most of the companies want you to use their software to have a guide made.
Most come with a printed model along with the guide. There is no seating procedure, it either fits or it doesn't. Haven't had one not fit yet.
Not sure the implant suite for 3shape has been officially released yet.

I have worked with guides from Anatomage but not from the other 2. What do you think about the guides from 360 imaging? I've been looking at trying them out. Can you compare the quality of them to the Anatomage guides? Thanks for any info.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
360 Imaging guides are just as nice as Anatomage. The surgical planning that is done in the Planmeca software is sent to 360 Imaging for guides. Super nice people to deal with. Check them out.

KentPWalton

KentPWalton

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone is currently using 3shape Implant Studio in a clinical setting? I have talked to multiple people and they all have told me that they are currently testing it. I would like to start offering guides to my docs and am considering purchasing it but am hesitant to until I hear how the guides are actually working clinically. I also still do have a few other questions that have not been answered for me and am wondering if anyone knows the answers.

1. Where do I buy the guide tubes from? How much do they cost?
2. How difficult are they to seat? Do I need extra tools for that?
3. I see that 3i and Nobel have been added to the list of implants. However it does not list if they can be used in the guides and if they are fully guided. Anyone know?
4. Does anyone have any experience with other surgical guide software and which one do you like the best?

Thanks for any help. Greatly appreciated!!

--BTW, I do not currently have a printer and am not considering buying one in the near future. Anyone care to give me quotes on surgical guide printing? Thanks!

1.You purchase the cylinders from the manufacturer of the implant system. The price is respective to how much each implant company charges for that part.
2.You only need a super glue that adheres acrylic to metal no special tools needed.
3.Some systems offer fully guided and some offer just a pilot guide. You'll have to walk through a case to see which ones they offer or contact the respective implant manufacturer.
4.You'll have to ask around about implant planning software. I've only had experience with Implant Studio and I love it, just haven't done any clinical cases with it yet.

Hope that answered your questions.

Andy B

Andy B

Reaction score
We make basic guides in clear pmma pucks, using the 3shape splint design option, which is part of the package.
It takes a little mucking about the first few times, but after doing a few you can design them pretty quick.
We just ignore the opposing scan in the design area, then predrill the guides after being milled out to make sure the implant is not to bucally placed.
I have enquired about implant studio to but never received any info back from our 3shape reseller.....