3Shape file distortion?

user name

user name

Reaction score
I had sent in a file for a simple molar coping to be milled in zirconia. Problem was reported to me: unable to mill because too thin. Rescan and design...same problem, but also contact person questioned 'what is it?'. He said it was very elongated and strange looking. I rescaned, designed and sent in and everything looks fine now. Everything was done exactly the same. How can there be a distortion when we're in digital?

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
Dont know havent came across this issue and we send a lot of digital files out. Send me the stl and I will see if I run into the same issue.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
How are you sending it out? Corruption of data in the process - any change in your
ISP provider protocol?
LCM

user name

user name

Reaction score
How are you sending it out? Corruption of data in the process - any change in your
ISP provider protocol?
LCM

Im not very educated in all things digital. I have a cable, not anything wireless, so that means I have an assigned address and not a proxy...? I do have more than one computer hooked up with a netgear 5 port gigabit switch. Doing a couple things simultanious would maybe be a problem?

Dave at Dale

Dave at Dale

Reaction score
We get corrupted files maybe one every couple thousand units. We had a problem with a customer that was using a Lava ST scanner to send us Fusion PFM bridges. We did not know what it was and we cannot repeat the problem no matter how hard we try.

All the best
Dave

user name

user name

Reaction score
We get corrupted files maybe one every couple thousand units. We had a problem with a customer that was using a Lava ST scanner to send us Fusion PFM bridges. We did not know what it was and we cannot repeat the problem no matter how hard we try.

All the best
Dave

Im hopeing I cant repeat the problem either...but can you theorize what could cause such a thing?

S

STJDENT

Reaction score
Happened to me once a few weeks ago. Have never figured out how it happened

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
I had sent in a file for a simple molar coping to be milled in zirconia. Problem was reported to me: unable to mill because too thin. Rescan and design...same problem, but also contact person questioned 'what is it?'. He said it was very elongated and strange looking. I rescaned, designed and sent in and everything looks fine now. Everything was done exactly the same. How can there be a distortion when we're in digital?

could be a rendering issue... could be a 3shape issue... lots of things can corrupt data. sometimes the fix is as simple as restart the computer. if indeed the file was corrupted in transmission then you may need to contact your internet provider if data corruption persists accross many cases.

but it is rare, nowadays.

user name

user name

Reaction score
If my models and design show up on the monitor looking like they should, theres no way it could be dust inside my scanner is there? Its always closed, but it is looking just a little dusty in there. What is the proper way to clean/ things not to do? vacuum and a blast from some keyboard cleaner okay?

Adigitalsmile

Adigitalsmile

Reaction score
I use low psi compressed air to clean the debri out of our scanner.

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
I have had it happen to me a few time, on my own network. In the CAM software it looks elongated, I re-modeled it then exported the cam output file and it fixed it. But one I had to re-scan the entire case as a new file, delting the old one and that fixed it as well. Never figured out exactly what caused the issue though.

Sevan

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
I too have had this happen a few times where the final design looks like the terminator when he morphs through the cell bars. A recalibration of the scanner has always fixed it.

jeff

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
Did you double click the STL file before you sent to actually look at what you were sending?? I've seen it happen where in the 3Shape designer everything looks fine but the actual STL that gets produced looks strange, even though everything looks fine in the software. The way to check was to actually load the STL in question to see - chances are if you look at the file it will look strange.

shane williams

shane williams

Reaction score
I think it's something with the CAM software and the stl file not getting along. This very problem has happend to me in the past. Once I import the stl into SUM3D and I view it, it's very narrow and long. And when I view it with 3Shape it's perfectly designed. I have to rescan the case and this seems to fix the issue. It hasnt' happend in awhile but it seems rescanning the case does the trick. This happened only when I started milling myself and never when I outsourced, so I don't think it's an ISP or a cable problem. Just a glitch between 3Shape and whatever CAM software is being used. I've done thousands of units and only have had this occur a few times.

Y

YMS96

Reaction score
When you check the files 'in 3Shape' be sure not to load them in the dental manager/design software. Actually load the STL that gets generated in the Manufacturing folder either with the 3D Viewer or with MiniMagics or something. Chances are you will see the distortion in the actual STL. The file could look perfect in the designer/manager but the generated cam file could be bad.

user name

user name

Reaction score
When you check the files 'in 3Shape' be sure not to load them in the dental manager/design software. Actually load the STL that gets generated in the Manufacturing folder either with the 3D Viewer or with MiniMagics or something. Chances are you will see the distortion in the actual STL. The file could look perfect in the designer/manager but the generated cam file could be bad.

Would you walk me through doing this as though I know nothing...because I dont.

blue tooth

blue tooth

Reaction score
Very simple, double click on .STL file before sending it. That will open it in 3d Viewer. You will be able to see the errors (distortion or missing data in certain areas)
This same problem is happening to me from time to time, only solution is rescanning. This is good practice to verify the files before sending. Cheers

Top Bottom