3shape design seat / dongle question

Old Navy Tech

Old Navy Tech

Reaction score
My question seems related to this thread... the difference is I want to install and run 2 versions of 3Shape Dental Designer 2012...
all hell broke loose when I upgraded from 2.8.8.2 to .4, my scanner would not interact with .4, I had to delete the whole upgrade (all my settings) as
it is not reversible. I'm using .1 and I can calibrate the scanner now.
I installed .1 on another computer tho it has no graphics accelerator card so designing there sucks... I also can't seem to find the fast usb port
I keep getting a message that I'm using a slow one, no matter where I stick it. it scans just fine, but importing the scans to a new file are a hassel, so
I'll reread through this setup and apply to my system.... maybe.

So I want to upgrade, but I'm afraid it will be nasty again, and I don't want to lose everything and have to re-enter all my settings again.
Has anyone made 2 accounts with Win 7 and installed two different versions of Dental Designer?
I apologize if this is off thread topic.... just saw that there are several 3shape users here and maybe I get a fast answer.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
You will need to purchase the second design seat from your 3Shape distributor. Your distributor should also be testing out new versions of the software and recommending upgrades when they are production ready.

Old Navy Tech

Old Navy Tech

Reaction score
Thanks Bob, we are also connected Linkedin. They are testing and said 2.8.8.4 was stable and recommended it, they are now testing .7 and say .6 is good.
I'm not sure I follow second design seat purchase. Is that to have 2 different versions on my computer at the same time, tho only using one version... or
in my case, deleting .6 or whatever upgrade I go to and remain using .1 as it works.

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Sorry ONT. I misunderstood what you wanted to do. I thought you were asking about having two designers working simultaneously.
Mightmolal, the cost depends on the distributor you purchased the scanner form. I think it's about $6K give or take.

R

RJS8669

Reaction score
does anyone know if you can have a dongle with no design seats, just scanning? I'd like to consolidate our design seats onto one dongle. we have two scanners and, thus, two dongles but I'd like to just run one dental manager linked to all our design seats. Does that make sense?
CAP did this for me about 5 months ago. Works well.

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
I run into this dongle and how to add seas -problem.. and i came up with this old thread. im friggin lazy to start new thread, so this gets bumped! haha.

So, more Dental Designer seats can be done: "extra dongle" or consolidating points to single dongle, which might not be a good idea if that one dongle gets fooked. Thing is, that many handy "things" that are additions to 3shape dental system comes with yet another dongle! And since you can define only one dongle server per design station.. multi-dongle solutions to me is just a big mess.

Now i try to think outside the box.

Has anyone tried those "USB over TCP/IP network" -solutions? i think idea of those is that you just share USB ports (which has dongles, on as many computers you need to have them) and just catch those shares with that one "server machine" and use that as a 3shape dongle server! I searched some solutions and cheapest (virtualhere) is like 40$ per computer and you can share 3 usb devices from that computer.

i would like to hear experiences, if anyone has them :-D

-- jussi r

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
Back from the dead! Best to put about 5 seat per dongle, second seats are now 400.00 cheaper then first seats so cost wise more per dongle is cheaper. If you get 5 dongkesyour renewal will be 1950.00 per dongle per year. So 8150 single dongle or 9750 for 5 single seats.

Usb anywhere is something I have been looking into but not all software specially cam software can be pointed to a certain location for the dongle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
I saw *** and knew this was an old thread.

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Marcusthegladiator CDT

Reaction score
LOL you can't say D, M, C. Sorry Travis!

J

Jussi Roivanen

Reaction score
haha. ultimate thread resurrection.

thanks for the info about the price. I tried trial version of USB over tcp/ip software (usb-over-network.com) and it did work with normal usb device AND it worked with HASP dongle (for UNYK software) as well.. i did not try it with 3shape dongle. I also looked into AnywhereUSB hardware (dedicated 14 port usb over network) but.. 1500+ USD pricetag that is a bit too much to "roll a dice". im gonna try to find a retailer who can give such device for testing (or accept refunding if thingie does not operate as it should) :-D