15 Unit PFM Build

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
This is a production build. Nothing special.
Inline porc 5 powders.

I strive to do my builds accurate to help keep grinding to a minimun.

Where to begin, I am already tired just looking at it.
B1 final request. Opaque B1 / B2 gin.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15.jpg

Start with the 6 ant.
Cervical porc 1st.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15a.jpg

B1 dentin

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15b.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15c.jpg

B2 Deep Dentin

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15d.jpg

Cutback

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15e.jpg

OE1

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15f.jpg

Incisal 1

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15g.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15h.jpg

OE4 on the cingulium ond on the M & D ridges and a tiny bit on the lingual incisal edge and done.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15i.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15j.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15a.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15b.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15c.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15d.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15e.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15f.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15g.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15h.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15i.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15j.jpg

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Same with the posterior.

Cervical dentin, B1, incisal 1 then snow cap the cusps or compensate for occlusal shrinkage with OE4.

Production build not cleaned up for the photos.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15k.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15l.jpg

Take a break from building and adjust contacts.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15m.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15n.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15o.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15p.jpg

Finish the rest later.
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15k.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15l.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15m.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15n.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15o.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15p.jpg

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Porcelain to metal margins Al? Do you use paste or liquid & powder opaque ?

I usually slice between the crowns and bake.Then I add the contacts on the 2nd or 3rd bakes. I find the phone always rings as I'm lifting the crowns off the die.

Nice and clean!

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Yeah metal margins, that would be a major chore to do porc margins.

I have used paste opaque since it came out.
Before that I spray opaqued the powdered opaque. That is some of the nicest opaqued copings you will see. It goes on even, it is a bit grainy to reflect light and you can get crowns with no black line at the margin.

But it is really expensive because of all the wasted overspray and set up and clean up takes a bit of time.

Other side

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15q.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15r.jpg

Initial equilibrating. No opposing on a couple. Future implants are planned.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15s.jpg

Ready for 2nd bakes.
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15q.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15r.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15s.jpg

Last edited:
Toast

Toast

Reaction score
Nice work as usual Al. I can't wait to see the finished case. Wow! occlusal contacts on the first bake, I could never get that with dsign. I tested a trial kit of inline last week and was very impressed. I just wish I could justify the expense of switching. Thanks for sharing.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
What is it opp Al?

Since these photos are so large it often is very difficult to know how much glass is hanging off your copings? It appears that the marginal ridges are unsupported on many of the units with my eye but it may just be the angle of the pics.

As usual I am always excited to see you post your work, I always like to make notes and compare with my techs. It always amazes me how different people work to get to a similar final product.

Thanks again for sharing

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Thanks for raising the bar Al.

What brush do you use?

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
You busted me John.

The right side is tight but the left has interprox space and needs more frame support, but frankly this is one of those Drs that I will not go the extra mile for because it will take away time from more demanding and higher quality Drs.

I did this case as fast as I could to get it out the door. If I dont I loose money on her.

Ex: I did 9 units on the upper.
Dr gave me I bite, a preop bite. She said the bite dosent matter because we will be doing the lower.
I had enough tissue on the bite + an old bridge to get it mounted for the uppers.

I am building the lower to these crowns + a upper temp partial. Some year she will have implants placed.

One thing for sure I told her to keep the centrals out of occlusion or with her bite she will splay them and in 6 months she will come in with a diastima.

No porc sholders.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_013_2.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_014.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_016_2.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_013_2.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_014.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_016_2.jpg

Last edited:
Al.

Al.

Reaction score
I use a spatula for the bulk of my build and the Renfert "Genuis" brush set.

In the pic of the lower anteriors, that is the 2nd bake.
I had a major brain fart with them and fired them on my opaque cycle : (
I did a 2nd bake right away. They didnt melt but they rounded and got really glassy.
Thats like a stab in the back when something like that happens.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Time for 2nd bakes.

Again I strive for minimal grinding or occlusal cutting.
For production work I try to keep my powders to 5 max and bakes to 2, 3 max for bridges and spots I missed.

Building in contours, occlusal anatomy and occlusion vs grinding it in, gives the crowns more of a custom and natural look vs a generic production large lab look, but the time is the same.
I just transfer my work time away from the hand peice to the brush and spatula.

One at a time starting on one side working my way to the other.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15t.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15u.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15v.jpg

On bridges after I fill in the connections I slice my seperation with a thin blade rather than cut it in with a disk, this is a big time saver and a thinner and deeper seperation.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15w.jpg

Building in occlusion is easy.
Taking into account porc shrinkage during firing, on the occlusal, on the first bake I only over build occlusial contacts, and let everyting else shrink out of occlusion.

The 2nd bakes, contacts and occlusion are adjusted.
My major work is done.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15x.jpg

It is time to tweek the contours, smooth the grainy surfaces, seat on the solid model to confirm contacts and tissue contact.
And then recheck occlusion and glaze.
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15t.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15u.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15v.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15w.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15x.jpg

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Ok its been slicked up and put on the solid model and the model is marked where I need to fill in black holes with "add on" porc during the glaze.

I get the contacts 95% if I get them perfect, sure enough one will come back for an contact add on.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15y.jpg

One last check of the occlusion.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15z.jpg

So here it is 5 powders cervical/occl, body, incisal, OE1, and OE4.
2 bakes except 2 units took 3 bakes.

For all the small labs that are stacking body and incisal blocks then contouring and cutting in anatomy you are in direct competition with the large labs the chinese and automation.

In my opinion you can change your technique and keep your high production and set your work apart and let the large labs and the chinese battle it out for the single posteriors.

I use a very sharp instrument to apply occlusal stain and usually keep it to a minimun. The cervical porc in the central fossa comes through giving an illusion of depth.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16_1.jpg

The OE1 gives it a halo.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16a.jpg

Keep the incisal edges thin and sharp esp on the lingual for lower ants.

ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16b.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16c.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16c1.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16d.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16e.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16f.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16g.jpg
ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15y.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_15z.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16_1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16a.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16b.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16c.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16c1.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16d.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16e.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16f.jpg ai46.photobucket.com_albums_f116_CDLAB_16g.jpg

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Why you still posting your wife's work ;)
Tell her she does an awesome job :)

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Thats funny you mentioned that Rob, because just this morning after I finished having my way with my wife she looked deep into my eyes and told me she truly beleives she was born for the sole purpose of serving me.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Thats funny you mentioned that Rob, because just this morning after I finished having my way with my wife she looked deep into my eyes and told me she truly beleives she was born for the sole purpose of serving me.

Then you woke up to find yourself alone in bed dreaming with your tally-whacker in your hand.......... As Paul Harvey use to say on the radio......"and that's the rest of the story"......lol :)

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
...with your tally-whacker in your hand..

Ah, So that's how he makes all those little grooves in the occlusion!

P

paulg100

Reaction score
you done any press over metal al?

Im just ordering a ep3000 and these type of cases seem like theyd be alot less work to wax, press and stain/glaze posteriors and mabey build or parital cut back ants.

Full ceramic build on these full mouth cases can be such a chore.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Al,
I really appreciate ALL the time, and devotion it takes to get you camera out and shoot so many pictures as your working.
Nice case, and thanks for sharing

I'm a stacker that tries to not over build so much, then use my contra angles with fg carbides, and diamonds..... With your technique of adding instead of grinding porcelain, how do you handle cases with under built substructures and no ahead of time the shrinkage will be alot...on occlusal of posteriors.... to keep from having to much enamel.......

Can you also share tips on getting good contacts, I'm continually adding contacts and a glaze at the same time ..... and the big one... how to cut into wet porcelain- embrasures - then adding porcelain to fill in without having to keep adding ......the never ending tearing with some porcelains.
Thanks
Charles

Last edited:
rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
...how to cut into wet porcelain- embrasures - then adding porcelain to fill in without having to keep adding ......the never ending tearing with some porcelains

Keep in mind that porcelain always shrinks to its mass. A trick that works for me is during the shoulder porcelain firing, I also add cervical porcelain to the interproximals ( of bridges) and a thin amount to the occlusal and fire.Then when I have to slice thru the embrassures and carve the occlusal anatomy, I have the undelying bake instead of swiss cheese.
I always prefer multiple bakes to control the shrinkage.This will also give you better contacts as well.
I grind with a white universal rubber wheel.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
you done any press over metal al?

Im just ordering a ep3000 and these type of cases seem like theyd be alot less work to wax, press and stain/glaze posteriors and mabey build or parital cut back ants.

Full ceramic build on these full mouth cases can be such a chore.

The only press to metal i have used is ivoclars and they dont have any layering porc for it, just a body add on porc. so I dont use it. Also it is a bit too trans for porc shoulders because you can see through it to the coping.

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Al,
I really appreciate ALL the time, and devotion it takes to get you camera out and shoot so many pictures as your working.
Nice case, and thanks for sharing

I'm a stacker that tries to not over build so much, then use my contra angles with fg carbides, and diamonds..... With your technique of adding instead of grinding porcelain, how do you handle cases with under built substructures and no ahead of time the shrinkage will be alot...on occlusal of posteriors.... to keep from having to much enamel.......

Can you also share tips on getting good contacts, I'm continually adding contacts and a glaze at the same time ..... and the big one... how to cut into wet porcelain- embrasures - then adding porcelain to fill in without having to keep adding ......the never ending tearing with some porcelains.
Thanks
Charles

Hi Charles,
Thats intresting about judging the shrinkage with different frame works.
The one place it is really critical is with anterior dentin cutbacks, to be safe when I have a doubt I do a seperate dentin build like on the limited space build thread.

Its taken me 5 years to really get to know the shrinkage for inline. Its become instinct. thats why I hated it when they discontinued Will Ceram I had to learn a new porc all over again.

One thing I noticed is that the layering porc for emax has quite a bit of shrinkage and sometimes it seems like it will shrink on 2nd bakes in areas I didnt add on.

Charles are you talking about adding on embrasures or connections on bridges.

Just till recently I did the same thing, added on cut into it and added on again only to find a void I had to fill in at glaze.
Now on my 2nd bridge bake ant. and post. I fill in the connection area and recut it as deep as I can, same if you do a third add on, cut it with your ultra thin blade.
That has saved me sooo much time on bridges.