DWX-50 Spindle Replacement

N

NickB

Reaction score
Hey all,

Wanted to know if anyone here has yet to replace their spindle in the DWX-50 Roland milling machine. I know the manual says the spindle has roughly 2000 hours of operating time before it should be replaced. Ours is at 1700 or so and we're preparing to buy a new spindle to have on hand once this one goes kaput.

Anyone done this yourself? Is it difficult to replace? Thanks so much

Nick

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
Its a 5 minute job, very easy to do. Move the X axis to the middle, remove the 4 screws holding the cover to the assembly, loosen the bolts holding the motor, loosen the 2 bolts holding the spindle in, push motor towards spindle and remove belt, remove spindle, installation is reverse of disassembly.

Last edited:
T

Tina P

Reaction score
Hey all,

Wanted to know if anyone here has yet to replace their spindle in the DWX-50 Roland milling machine. I know the manual says the spindle has roughly 2000 hours of operating time before it should be replaced. Ours is at 1700 or so and we're preparing to buy a new spindle to have on hand once this one goes kaput.

Anyone done this yourself? Is it difficult to replace? Thanks so much

Nick
That is just odd.... Lol my boss just replaced ours this morning! She did it just fine but can't get the software downloaded after it was replaced

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
Attached for your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

• spindle1.pdf
    427 KB · Views: 319
  • spindle2.pdf
    528.7 KB · Views: 176
  • spindle3.pdf
    211.7 KB · Views: 146
  • spindle4.pdf
    246.4 KB · Views: 141
  • spindle5.pdf
    569.3 KB · Views: 146
  • spindle6.pdf
    629.6 KB · Views: 142
  • spindle7.pdf
    634.2 KB · Views: 144
  • spindle8.pdf
    180.7 KB · Views: 145
T

Tina P

Reaction score
we do not have the software dwx50pit apparently. Where do we get it?

RCKSTR

RCKSTR

Reaction score
Pit tool is a tech only tool. You dont actually need it, just make sure the leaf spring is not touching the spindle and has the appropriate clearance. You can run in the spindle from the z panel

BBrooks

BBrooks

Reaction score
Pit tool is a tech only tool. You dont actually need it, just make sure the leaf spring is not touching the spindle and has the appropriate clearance. You can run in the spindle from the z panel
The PIT tool is for technician use only, and it does more than check the lead spring. This is the only way to reset spindle time and other important items that should be tracked. I highly recommend working with your dealer and/or Roland support to make sure the process is done correctly. Users can get several thousand hours (we have many users that get 4000-5000 hours out of a spindle) use when properly maintained and replaced correctly. Of course as owners of the machines, you can technically do what you like knowing that downtime is always a factor, but this is what we recommend after many years of experience and tracking several thousand machines through their maintenance and repair processes.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
who did you buy it from? they should provide support, no?

but yeah, make sure that leaf spring is not bent too much and not making contact

T

Tina P

Reaction score
Thanks..... got it!

P

Paul Bennett

Reaction score
Attached for your viewing pleasure.

what it the trick to fitting the ACT unit on top of the spindle? Seems like it should fit in the cradle lower, I can sit th ACT on top of it and engage the screws

P

Paul Bennett

Reaction score
what it the trick to fitting the ACT unit on top of the spindle? Seems like it should fit in the cradle lower, I can sit th ACT on top of it and engage the screws

I CAN'T fit the ACT on top of the spindle and engage screws sorry

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
We have the same issue with a bent leaf spring. This issue makes calibrating the machine a real hassle. We are waiting for a spindle failure to replace all parts.
Does anybody know if this part is available from a dealer?

biodentg

biodentg

Reaction score
Does anybody have the PIT.exe for the 50?
I think I can replace spindle but I need to reset the time. Thank you

R

reesecuppers

Reaction score
I replaced mine this morning. Took about 30 minutes, but I was being overly cautious and triple reading every step of the directions to be sure I didn't miss anything. Without the Pit.exe tool I just had to close the cover to open the collet and then open the cover and check if the tool fit. Then after the run-in I had it pick up a tool and paused it so I could check if it was holding tight. The only thing I wasn't able to do was reset the hours for the spindle, but we just recorded the hours for the previous spindle and printed a sticker to put on the mill so we would know in case it's ever relevant. It was at about 2800 hours. Seems like a good life to me. I'd like to get the one I pulled out refurbished though, so if anybody has had the refurb done and had it work out well, please post where you had it done etc so I'm not just sending to the first person out there that says they can do it.

Razvan

Razvan

Reaction score
Hello! I just ordered a new spindle to have it on stock in the lab. On the box it is written Spindle Unit ZS-4D, but is it compatible with DWX-50 or there is another type of spindle unit only for DWX-50? The leaflet inside described how to change it on DWX 51, 52 ecc., but not on DWX-50. Thanks!

J

JSLee

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a video that shows the steps for the DWX 50 spindle replacement?

C

chaouigram

Reaction score
its easy to replace it on 51D or 52D the i have a problem im from morocco and one of our machines has beeen stoped for that spindel unit and costes in morocco 3300 euro or 3500 dollar . any one knows a company in europ to buy it from there ??

JeffT

JeffT

jeff
Reaction score
Hi all,
With regards to collect replacement/cleaning and maintenance.
How do you know how much it should be tightened after removing collet completely for cleaning or, just tightening it during general maintenance. I always worry I will over tighten. There is no increase in resistance as you tighten it, and it can easily be too loose still.
It's a bit hit and miss. Is there any tips for this?
Thanks

F

FASTFNGR

Reaction score
Hi all,
With regards to collect replacement/cleaning and maintenance.
How do you know how much it should be tightened after removing collet completely for cleaning or, just tightening it during general maintenance. I always worry I will over tighten. There is no increase in resistance as you tighten it, and it can easily be too loose still.
It's a bit hit and miss. Is there any tips for this?
Thanks
I do not even bather fooling with the collet any more after the first one broke. I leave it alone and when it breaks for some reason, I created a tool to take the whole spindle appart To replace the collet and the bearings at the same time. Since I was told that Roland will stop selling the collet alone and will be a part of a new spindle for $1700. The last collet was $700.