Wax up of the week

Denturion

Denturion

Reaction score
Both labs should be driving to keep you, IMO.
Work is clean; any improvement/artistic thrust would be easy to tweak from there.
Competency is obvious.
Thank you so much!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

M

MasterCeramist

Reaction score
We use light cured baseplate material. Currently using megatray in the 1.4mm size.

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
I hope I'm making progress.
Still a lot to learn.
xXmPPz9.jpg

QFk2xka.jpg

kYuWcc

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I hope I'm making progress.
Still a lot to learn.
xXmPPz9.jpg

QFk2xka.jpg

kYuWcc
Your skill is impeccable.
But
Not a fan of the anterior frenum as I have reports they often get polished off because they irritate the lip.
Also the Stillman's cleft is symptomatic of perio pathology. I realize many think it imparts a natural look, but it mimics disease.
Doesn't sit well with me.

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
These details and defects can be liked, or not.
I look at it in such a way that patients had periodontal disease before. Exposed necks and Stillman's cleft affect how a smile appears.
Usually, they remember this smile most accurately. They are very happy when they smile a smile similar to the one they remembered.
Because of this, this waxup has diastema.

and as for the biofilm collection point, - I use the nano varnish and prostheses must be washed !

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
After 32 years of fabrication, I can tell you that although your heart is in the right place
cleaning a denture is counter to the mindset that placed them in dentures to begin with.
Unless directed, as with a diastema I would limit how perio involved I make a denture look.
Nothing blows worse than having to fix it later.
But then, you know that already...lol

Jack_the_dentureman

Jack_the_dentureman

Reaction score
I understand your point.
It is not that I try to do such details as much as possible.
I also try to match waxup to the patient's age. The older the person, the more defects.
I do not repair dentures "out of hand". I use methods with the earlier modeling of the repaired spot in the wax. Besides, I do not have to rebuild this detail as they were.

Probably time will change my view of it.

TomZ

TomZ

Reaction score
Again, big props for your efforts.
Construction projecting age is a whole art in itself. See Dynesthetic interpretation.
Problem is, most people nowadays want something that projects youth and virility
rather than their actual physiologic age.
For those who want it, it takes a tight clinical and laboratory communication protocol
to pull it off.

Time will indeed season your outlook to the realities of removable prosthetic fabrication.
Welcome to life long learning.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I understand your point.
It is not that I try to do such details as much as possible.
I also try to match waxup to the patient's age. The older the person, the more defects.
I do not repair dentures "out of hand". I use methods with the earlier modeling of the repaired spot in the wax. Besides, I do not have to rebuild this detail as they were.

Probably time will change my view of it.
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but disease and decay are best expressed as a special effects artist in film and tv.
I've seen a lot of work come back over the years, and I've seen a lot of nifty art covered in crud.
I don't add any collection points unless expressly directed.

Denturion

Denturion

Reaction score
Hello, I see beautiful work here. I have a question. What are people using for waxing the gingiva detail. Is there colored wax? I hear people use crayon. I have tried using purple and red tooth card wax.
Any recommendations on brand or technique?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Hello, I see beautiful work here. I have a question. What are people using for waxing the gingiva detail. Is there colored wax? I hear people use crayon. I have tried using purple and red tooth card wax.
Any recommendations on brand or technique?
Crayola is OK. Make sure whatever art materials you use are rated non toxic.
If you want to spend, Candelor makes a wax line intended for this use.
Personally, if find it to be a lot of misplaced effort, unless your thrust is photography and marketing.

Denturion

Denturion

Reaction score
Crayola is OK. Make sure whatever art materials you use are rated non toxic.
If you want to spend, Candelor makes a wax line intended for this use.
Personally, if find it to be a lot of misplaced effort unless your thrust is photography and marketing.

so, most of the effort could be placed at the finish staining?

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
so, most of the effort could be placed at the finish staining?
I'm going to be frank here; I've done colorized waxing in the past. As a showcase for marketing, esp. photography, it's nice.
As an actual product, you'll starve long before you get paid for it.
As a clinical reality, the patient is interested in solving other problems.
In economic reality, I point you to all the techs that layered posterior pfm that rivaled nature.
They're all trying to get into AO4 or digital dentures because monolithic zirconia ate their lunch.
IOW, patients prefer price and function over beauty.
In our realm, unless the smile line is really high, you shouldn't see base except papillae or slight gingiva sulcus.
So why invest heart and soul into that rabbit hole.

In answer to the question, if you're all on fire to travel this path, then yes, learn to stain in the flask or do a composite rework of the cameo post process.
But unless you're commited to dolling up every denture, you'll never get takers as an add one

Last edited:
X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I'm going to be frank here; I've done colorized waxing in the past. As a showcase for marketing, esp. photography, it's nice.
In economic reality, I point you to all the techs that layered posterior pfm that rivaled nature.
They're all trying to get into AO4 or digital dentures because monolithic zirconia ate their lunch.
In our realm, unless the smile line is really high, you shouldn't see base except papillae or slight gingiva sulcus.

In answer to the question, if you're all on fire to travel this path, then yes, learn to stain in the flask or do a composite rework of the cameo post process.
But unless you're commited to dolling up every denture, you'll never get takers as an add one

All true statements, atleast in my world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

droberts

droberts

Reaction score

Not all true...If your plan is to be competitive in today's market. You have to be the competition. If you want to color wax
your prosthesis, figure it into your labor or the cost of the it. Same with tissue tint. Get good at it, and don't give it away.
You cant tell me that if a patient has an option to compare standard acrylic, as opposed to a tissue tint. As to which one they would
prefer to put in their mouth. Ive always looked at it this way. My client is actually the patient. You make them happy, your
doctor (client) will be pleased as well.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
Not all true...If your plan is to be competitive in today's market. You have to be the competition. If you want to color wax
your prosthesis, figure it into your labor or the cost of the it. Same with tissue tint. Get good at it, and don't give it away.
You cant tell me that if a patient has an option to compare standard acrylic, as opposed to a tissue tint. As to which one they would
prefer to put in their mouth. Ive always looked at it this way. My client is actually the patient. You make them happy, your
doctor (client) will be pleased as well.
I know I'm painting broad brush here, but I have exposure to larger swaths of the great unwashed amongst our professional colleagues.
None of them will bother getting the assistant to do that as well.

So we are really speaking to two different paths in the market.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
I know I'm painting broad brush here, but I have exposure to larger swaths of the great unwashed amongst our professional colleagues.
None of them will bother getting the assistant to do that as well.

So we are really speaking to two different paths in the market.
I guess another way to put it is who is the market you serve or want to serve, and how do you get there.

The skills are great, but they won't meet the interested people unless you do. Figure out that part of the equation, then you have a better focus on what is or isn't wasted effort.