Exocad and undercuts

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
Does exocad always completely block out undercuts or can I still end up with some? I'm using the block out undercut function but still ending up with some undercuts I have to grind away.

P

PinAn

Reaction score
u can use the function for unblock undercut,
it at the undercut page.
but u need the 5 axis mill machine for dill that .

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
If your path of insertion is out you can end up areas that the mill can't reach.

Also when you select block out undercuts what angle are you specifying?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
There is an area below cement that may not get the undercut.

It is user option I believe. You choose distance from margin to yes/no? remove undercut.

A

adamb4321

Reaction score
Harmony,

which scanner do you have?

harmonylab

harmonylab

Reaction score
I use the orgin intelligence scanner, and have a 5 axis mill.

I've been using 0 degree angle... I think I'll try experimenting with the settings a bit more. I think standard settings aren't enough for the massive undercuts I'm getting from some docs.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
I use the orgin intelligence scanner, and have a 5 axis mill.

I've been using 0 degree angle... I think I'll try experimenting with the settings a bit more. I think standard settings aren't enough for the massive undercuts I'm getting from some docs.

I have noticed the same thing. My setting is also "0" by default, and I am getting undercuts. What setting did you decide upon?

udr.JPG after apply.JPG
after apply.JPG udr.JPG

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I keep some scannable wax to quickly fill deep holes etc. should block out for you but occasionally I get some that are too deep.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Kara, you sure you have "common insertion" checked "ON" for bridges?

Maybe your exocad need a little tweek'n in the parameter dept.?

Do not check the "SLM" option when exporting, of course. It will tumble the orientation of your CAD file to flatten object to print faster. Good for printing!

For CNC, it messes up your insertion/milling quite a bit.

Be glad to check out what you are seeing via teamviewer on Monday? "Lauren" here, could do it as well.

Last edited:
k2 Ceramic Studio

k2 Ceramic Studio

Reaction score
Not come across this yet guys, not even on big cases! I dont like the way Exo blocks out as I cant see it doing it. But for me it does a good job. Could it be a mix of scanner and milling unit problems

French Cadman

French Cadman

Reaction score
Dear kara,:eek:

You can also correct the model file !
Delete faults and fill undercuts against ....

A small problem is corrected quickly ....:cool:

Capture02.jpg

Capture03.jpg

Capture01.jpg

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
Kara, you sure you have "common insertion" checked "ON" for bridges?

Maybe your exocad need a little tweek'n in the parameter dept.?

Do not check the "SLM" option when exporting, of course. It will tumble the orientation of your CAD file to flatten object to print faster. Good for printing!

For CNC, it messes up your insertion/milling quite a bit.

Be glad to check out what you are seeing via teamviewer on Monday? "Lauren" here, could do it as well.

Yes, "common insertion" is selected. I appreciate your offer of assistance Scott. :)

Last edited:
NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Dear kara,:eek:

You can also correct the model file !
Delete faults and fill undercuts against ....

A small problem is corrected quickly ....:cool:

Capture02.jpg

Capture03.jpg

Capture01.jpg

Perfect!! I correct pulls and distorted areas all the time. Occasionally get very subtle artifacts on extremely sharp prep tips etc.. I minimize the brush and use the smoothing option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I prefer the SLM option. After merging it makes adjustments on bridgework etc. much , much better.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
I prefer the SLM option. After merging it makes adjustments on bridgework etc. much , much better.

Where is the SLM option Jason?

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
Where is the SLM option Jason?

When you are merging at the end of your design phase, you will see the cancel merging button. You can select it and then select optimize for SLM. You can make it do that automatically by going into the settings menu while on the design software. Select merge for laser melting ? Sorry, not by my computer right now. It's the only option like that though, just can't remember the exact wording.

karabear

karabear

Reaction score
When you are merging at the end of your design phase, you will see the cancel merging button. You can select it and then select optimize for SLM. You can make it do that automatically by going into the settings menu while on the design software. Select merge for laser melting ? Sorry, not by my computer right now. It's the only option like that though, just can't remember the exact wording.

So that will correct undercuts? Scott said to make sure it is not selected. Confused.

slm.png
slm.png

Last edited:
karabear

karabear

Reaction score
The reseller decided to update our software and see if that would solve the problem of why it wasn't blocking out. Trouble-shooting is too much trouble sometimes.

Last edited:
P

primus

Banned
Reaction score
So that will correct undercuts? Scott said to make sure it is not selected. Confused.

View attachment 4665

I think, it merges the meshs differently, with less flaws for 3d printing. More attention to flipped norms and stacked up layers?
I also think it exports the finished CAD file "tumbled" to flatten the object for faster printing.

This messes up your orientation for milling. The insertion/milling orientation is changed.

Unit will import into CAM now rotated slightly. After milling....unit does not fit.

Not that is your current problem(s).

Scott

NicelyMKV

NicelyMKV

Reaction score
I think, it merges the meshs differently, with less flaws for 3d printing. More attention to flipped norms and stacked up layers?
I also think it exports the finished CAD file "tumbled" to flatten the object for faster printing.

This messes up your orientation for milling. The insertion/milling orientation is changed.

Unit will import into CAM now rotated slightly. After milling....unit does not fit.

Not that is your current problem(s).

Scott

I optimize every file for laser melting and import into Sum3D. Everything functions and fits flawlessly?