I've never made a denture before but with digital I'm an expert...

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I'm reading the latest LMT Complete Digital Dentures: Early Adapters Tell All, and that was a quote in the article.

Not sure about copyright to print that article here , however Travis if you can get a link or print it here legally, others would have a chance to read this. Ty

Last edited:
H

Holly93

Reaction score
I'm reading the latest LMT Complete Digital Dentures: Early Adapters Tell All, and that was a quote in the article.
Spent a few hours calling around about digital dentures this week. Most telling conversation was a large company's dental rep: who had a story of a traveling dentist going door to door selling 85.00 digital dentures. Big reason he was a traveling dentist, the digital dentures fall apart 6-12 months into use. The technology is a long way off.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Spent a few hours calling around about digital dentures this week. Most telling conversation was a large company's dental rep: who had a story of a traveling dentist going door to door selling 85.00 digital dentures. Big reason he was a traveling dentist, the digital dentures fall apart 6-12 months into use. The technology is a long way off.
Fall apart meaning the teeth separate from the base or the base has catastopic failure into multiple fractures?

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
And if you pay a certain dental ceramist who's never made nor had the desire to make an analog denture (his words) several thousand dollars, he will teach you how to make a digital denture in his course. He learned it in an HOUR! Again, his words. What could possibly go wrong?

H

Holly93

Reaction score
Fall apart meaning the teeth separate from the base or the base has catastopic failure into multiple fractures?
You can inbox me for the type of digital dentures he was using, I didn't ask the rep, but i imagine the lack of longevity was one of the following: poor laboratory technique, use of economy teeth, increase in stress concentration at the tooth/denture base interface, heavy or uneven masticatory forces, unbalanced occlusion, etc etc :)

doug

doug

Reaction score
I think if you give credit you can post the part that says what you're referring to in the article.

doug

doug

Reaction score
I read the article. I see what Lee Culp said. He said the same thing 2 years ago when he spoke at the FDLA Southern States Symposium. He knew nothing of dentures and digital let him learn how to do it easily and quickly. I find it to be an insinuation that dentures are easy to learn to fabricate with not much of a learning curve. Lee is not a normal person. I've been exposed to him for over 35 years and if he decided to build a space craft he could do it successfully, he's that kind of person.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
I had to stop reading the article after that part... I try to keep an open mind and read the article just to see what's going on. I don't really want to say here what I think, I would leave it up to you all to draw your own conclusion.

Jason D

Jason D

Reaction score
Attacking machines that streamline and improve workflow And efficiencies is nothing new, it was wrong 2 centuries ago and it’s wrong today.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Some of you are trying to defend something that nobody has attacked. Even the most experienced denture folks here are not againt digital dentures, get that in your head. We are all taking a look and if we aren't retired and the price is right, I would imagine we would all buy in. What we are all looking out for is the patient, to be honest it takes more brains to make a denture than it does to make a single tooth crown. Unless the machine has the knowledge needed already built in, then how could a person with zero denture experience make a denture with a machine that would be safe for a patient?

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
Lady Flip,
Have you made a porcelain crown? Just curious!

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
Actually I have made a few porcelain crowns, I have made many gold crowns as well including the two I have in my mouth right now. I was drawn to dentures because of the science and function aspect, but mostly because it helped people restore their confidence. I remember in the 1980's the highly paid crown and bridge guys looking down on the denture techs, then these same guys being humbled when cerec came out and suddenly denture techs were making more money. As long as the patient gets a well made denture or crown it's all good, don't put us down if we ask questions and check things out before we sign on to the digital.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
to be honest it takes more brains to make a denture than it does to make a single tooth crown.
don't put us down if we ask questions and check things out before we sign on to the digital.

kind of a mixed message no?
You seem to be the one that is "putting" people down from your posts.
Your mind is closed, we get that.
All aspects of dental technology require grey matter and experience.
The key word in all of this is technology
Digital is a tool that you use to your ability, not someone else's. You can either feel threatened , ignore it, or embrace it.

Flipperlady

Flipperlady

Reaction score
And it's obvious you have already invested the money and have to make this work. I'm out of this discussion before it devolves into politics and such...

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
your mind is closed, we get that.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Trump 2020!!! ....too soon? :p

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Lol! In the old days Texas Tom would be phoning me up to give me an earful by now :)
Yes, that old coot had a way of doing that. You may be surprised but I actually agree with Flipper here fellas. Maybe not so much about the digital aspect, other than digital dentures being mainstream is going to take awhile. However, I do agree with her that single crown vs. denture, by far Dentures have a shlt ton more going on technically. As a tech who does both every day, Dentures always are much more complex, require a ton more communication, and selecting/setting a full arch ain't for the faint of the heart either. Then by chance you get a reset, well fk me upside down, all that time you just spent making that denture look great was like plssing upwind...has to be completely redone for the most part. So in that regard I agree with her, I'm curious if others (that do both fixed/removable) agree with that aspect.

C

Craig T

Reaction score
We need a "Digital denture of the week" section on this site. I would like to see what is possible, what amount of time it takes to learn the system, produce a digital denture and the discussions about the technical issues.

Top Bottom