US Gov't shutdown hurting labs?

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
The phrase 'non-essential' is the government's own classification. Think of it like when you hear over the radio on a heavy snow day that non-essential employees are not required to report to work.
It is a designation of who is required to work even if they do not get paid. Not how needed they are.

It does consist of people doing jobs we think of as essential, but it also has USDA inspectors measureing apples to make sure they are 2.5 inches in diameter or greater. That's what a USDA grade A apple is, nothing more.

While the Coast Guard was moved into Homeland Security, it is still one of the five armed forces. Some of their boats have more above water firepower than Navy boats. Not a bunch to annoy frivolously.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
The bloat in our government is in Congress and the Oval Office.
I agree, there are videos of ALL involved on BOTH sides who say we need a wall or a fence! Now it's just a power play to see who is going to give in first!!! And in the mean time there are little kids going hungry because their parents aren't getting paid. GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Brett Hansen CDT

Brett Hansen CDT

Reaction score
I agree, there are videos of ALL involved on BOTH sides who say we need a wall or a fence! Now it's just a power play to see who is going to give in first!!! And in the mean time there are little kids going hungry because their parents aren't getting paid. GRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like this should have been a slam dunk deal the "Art of the Deal" president could have made when he controlled both houses of Congress.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
The phrase 'non-essential' is the government's own classification. Think of it like when you hear over the radio on a heavy snow day that non-essential employees are not required to report to work.
It is a designation of who is required to work even if they do not get paid. Not how needed they are.

It does consist of people doing jobs we think of as essential, but it also has USDA inspectors measureing apples to make sure they are 2.5 inches in diameter or greater. That's what a USDA grade A apple is, nothing more.

While the Coast Guard was moved into Homeland Security, it is still one of the five armed forces. Some of their boats have more above water firepower than Navy boats. Not a bunch to annoy frivolously.
Alot of the TSA agents are calling in sick since they're not getting paid.
This was just on the news this morning, but what it doesn't say is they were out there flying in 40 MPH winds to do it.

https://www.wavy.com/news/military/...ruise-ship-after-medical-emergency/1714554532

Contraluz

Contraluz

Donator
Reaction score
to make sure they are 2.5 inches in diameter or greater. That's what a USDA grade A apple is
Is that the only requirement? Just curious...

M

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Is that the only requirement? Just curious...

M
It is.
Edit:
The sellers take care of getting rid of 'unpretty' fruit before it ever gets a chance to be rejected at the grocery store. They are not going to pay freight on something they know will not sell except to pig farmers.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score

the same government considers all us "unskilled" laborers creating custom patient specific oral appliances. just saying

A

adl

Reaction score
cmon ppl, these are "non-essential" jobs. which means the government shouldnt be employing them anyway. yeah for sure some business is going to be hurt by the shutdown, but realistically the gov is severely bloated as it is. and thats the smallest term i can think to use
If they are “ non -essential “ why are they called in to work ? This is getting out of control.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
If they are “ non -essential “ why are they called in to work ? This is getting out of control.
The nonessential are not being called in to work. That is the purpose of the Federal government making the definition.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
No one should work without getting paid.
Trust a government, which makes no money and spends like water over a cliff, not to understand that.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
No one should work without getting paid.
unlike the private sector, they all will be paid. in fact any gov shutdown from hence forward has been guaranteed to pay those not getting physical checks during the shutdown.
now, i dont know if you have ever been laid-off or not but in the real world if you get laid off you dont get back pay lol

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
unlike the private sector, they all will be paid. in fact any gov shutdown from hence forward has been guaranteed to pay those not getting physical checks during the shutdown.
now, i dont know if you have ever been laid-off or not but in the real world if you get laid off you dont get back pay lol
No, but laid off workers can get unemployment.

A

adl

Reaction score
I hope life will treat you nice , never lose a paycheck with no fault of your own. It doesn’t affect you, so you don’t care. You have no idea how complex this is . Not all those people will get pay back, they were told to take unpaid vacation.This is ridiculous to even debate this , learn the facts

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
I hope life will treat you nice , never lose a paycheck with no fault of your own. It doesn’t affect you, so you don’t care. You have no idea how complex this is . Not all those people will get pay back, they were told to take unpaid vacation.This is ridiculous to even debate this , learn the facts
since you know nothing about me and are putting things out there that i clearly dont agree with or believe, let me help you some...

1. ive lost wages before, for a multitude of reasons including employers not paying. so yes, ive lost wages due to no fault of my own.
2. it does effect me, and i do care. get off your high horse.
3. again, you know nothing about me and you have no clue how much i do or dont know about the complexity of this situation. as im sure you would be equally feeling if i stated you "have no idea how complex this is"
4. since there was a bill passed guaranteeing all effected will get back pay, can you site where youre getting your facts? i can post the bill if you would like. (2019 Government Employee Fair Treatment Act passed by both the House and the Senate)

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Not all those people will get pay back, they were told to take unpaid vacation.This is ridiculous to even debate this , learn the facts

"Employees required to work during the lapse in appropriations may use leave. "
i be learnings da facts