One day dentures, enlighten me...

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
Anyone here working in a one day denture situation? If so could you roughly outline the typical steps involved in an '8 hr mouth reconstruction.' Very curious.

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
sure

contact lab 1 week before
contact lab 1 day before
day of - scan bite etc etc - palate scans
Surgery - pop in scan bodies - scan again

Should be 9:30/10:00AM - send to Lab. - use Exocad/3Shape hybrid to jerry rig something to work.

Lab makes non engaging ti base PMMA to send back base on that bite. Dr assumes all responsibility of anything wrong XD

eyeloveteeth

eyeloveteeth

Reaction score
in all seriousness - this is pretty much it.

conversely making an immediate denture prior and doing a reline is probably easier?

D

Denture Dude

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm not at all versed in cad/cam, wasn't thinking about that as an option. I see a lot of ads for one day dentures, and being a removable tech for 15 + yrs I always wondered what's the catch. I've recently had people ask me why it took 3 weeks and 3 trips min to the doc to get their dentures made, when they see ads claiming one day. Realized I didn't really have an answer for them other than 'believe me, there's a catch.'

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
8am remove teeth, take impression/bite. Pour, mount, set teeth. 12pm Viewing/tryin, invest by 1pm, process with quick cure heat more likely cold cure acrylic 1-1:30hours. Deflask, finish, return at 4:30pm.

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
8am remove teeth, take impression/bite. Pour, mount, set teeth. 12pm Viewing/tryin, invest by 1pm, process with quick cure heat more likely cold cure acrylic 1-1:30hours. Deflask, finish, return at 4:30pm.
How many of those are you doing a week?

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm not at all versed in cad/cam, wasn't thinking about that as an option. I see a lot of ads for one day dentures, and being a removable tech for 15 + yrs I always wondered what's the catch. I've recently had people ask me why it took 3 weeks and 3 trips min to the doc to get their dentures made, when they see ads claiming one day. Realized I didn't really have an answer for them other than 'believe me, there's a catch.'
Tell them "you get what you pay for" Cheap vs quality, take your pick!

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
He asked how they did it.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Tell them "you get what you pay for" Cheap vs quality, take your pick!
I could do a full quality case in a day, It would be the only thing on my plate. I am low production enough that it is possible for me. It all depends on the business model. I could wax up a full upper lower, try it in, inject and finish by 5pm.

Doris A

Doris A

Solutions
Reaction score
I could do a full quality case in a day, It would be the only thing on my plate. I am low production enough that it is possible for me. It all depends on the business model. I could wax up a full upper lower, try it in, inject and finish by 5pm.
Being an in house tech you have that luxury where it would be next to impossible for us to do.

PRO ARTS DL

PRO ARTS DL

Reaction score

Sigh.... I've had a patient ask why his full arch zirconia bridge took several visits and more than a month to complete... He's seen "ads" of implants with full arch bridge in a day o_O

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Those ads are as follows, prelim appointment/impressions, return next week or however long their lab takes, rip teeth out place implants probably guided, then load bridge on it.

I would say making teeth is kind of like building a house, Concrete takes 21 days to set properly. Would you want someone to set the walls before the foundation is set? Would you want the roof put on before the walls are set? These teeth in a day gimmicks can throw something prefab together quickly, but they are not in it for your benefit. Long term it does not leave you with a superior product.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Just lay out the facts. Implants take generally 6 months to fully integrate with your bone, Your bridge will take an hour or two to scan and design, I mill it in wax or pmma to check that it will look good and fit properly that takes 2 hours. When I get that back from Dr I will make changes or send it onto the zirconia phase, It will take three hours to mill in zirconia, It will take me an hour to stain it in the green state, It will take 8-12 hours depending on your oven/zirconia for the maximum strength and longevity of your expensive bridge. It will take at least two hours to finish more if you have to layer porcelain on facials. I make something of quality that should last you a very long time, where all the implants fit and seal into the bridge very well. A zirconia bridge is probably 8 hours of in hands work time and 20 hours of materials/machines doing its thing. Tell them an 8-10 hour day where you have teeth just means they have cut corners somewhere.

N

nickate

Reaction score

What you describe is not "One Day". What you describe is "Same Day". There is a huge gap in the public(and technician) perception of the two.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
The sellers of these ads generally call teeth in a day just one work day. There is almost always a prelim/sell day.

K

kytoothdude

Reaction score
Anyone here working in a one day denture situation? If so could you roughly outline the typical steps involved in an '8 hr mouth reconstruction.' Very curious.
Regular dentures and not implant retained? We are in house and do a few a month. Really try to talk pt into taking the time. When we do them they are scheduled ahead and involve one tech for the day. Impressions by 9:00, Alginate or PVS inside existing, Try in 11:30-12:00, and place by 4:45 or 5:00. Obviously minimal base contouring. Acrylic is quick cured. I HATE THEM! But sometimes ya just gotta do em.

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
You should get an ivobase it is quality and quick.

Denturepropgh

Denturepropgh

Reaction score
Or you could microwave process. It takes only 48 minutes from the point of curing till retrieval from the flask. 4 minutes in a 500 watt microwave, bench set 30 min. Warm water bath for 15 min. Microwave curing has proven to have superior fit and pretty much no residual monomer left, which is great for hypoallergenic requirements. Keystone just released those tecnoflasks not that long ago. We just invested in a few of the flasks. Apparently you can cure rpd/ implant/ attachment cases that consist of metal parts as well, which was suprising to me. From my understanding, you can cure high-impact acrylics in this timeframe. It would actually take less time than curing any other conventional method that I know of. I seen an ad for Snowrock that they have a 10 minute conventional cure high-impact. But microwave has it beat by 6 minutes still, and has less residual monomer. High quality acrylic, faster production. It's a win-win in my opinion. Thanks Tom Z!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

JKraver

JKraver

Reaction score
Or you could microwave process. It takes only 48 minutes from the point of curing till retrieval from the flask. 4 minutes in a 500 watt microwave, bench set 30 min. Warm water bath for 15 min. Microwave curing has proven to have superior fit and pretty much no residual monomer left, which is great for hypoallergenic requirements. Keystone just released those tecnoflasks not that long ago. We just invested in a few of the flasks. Apparently you can cure rpd/ implant/ attachment cases that consist of metal parts as well, which was suprising to me. From my understanding, you can cure high-impact acrylics in this timeframe. It would actually take less time than curing any other conventional method that I know of. I seen an ad for Snowrock that they have a 10 minute conventional cure high-impact. But microwave has it beat by 6 minutes still, and has less residual monomer. High quality acrylic, faster production. It's a win-win in my opinion. Thanks Tom Z!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
You can put a ball of crumpled aluminum foil in a bowl of water in the microwave with no problems as long as the water level keeps the ball submerged.