At what point do you need to purchase a Miling unit and Scanner??

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Over here we are 3, small operation, and I handle our mill with no problem. In the beginning I was working late, but that's the learning curve. Adding a mill IS the extra staff.
Adding a mill is like adding 3-5 extra staff. And it only cost $50 a day.

R

RockyMountainCADCAMRep

Reaction score
I'm currently sending out 25-30 units daily, and growing. It's nice because my milling center is a 1/2 mile down the street. But I have to think that I could come out ahead if I bought a unit. Right? If so, how much is the cost per unit? Including your payment, burs, pucks, paying a dude to design and finish and everything I'm forgetting? I need help and advice!!!

Not to mention what scanner and milling unit do I get?

Hey Jazz Fan -
Rob mentioned to me that you had posted that you are doing your research on getting a CADCAM system.
I am the rep for Amann Girrbach in the Rocky Mountain area.

I would like to provide you some info that shows a pretty attractive ROI when looking at your current work that can done on an Amann Girrbach Ceramill System. At the desktop mill price point, there isn't another system that can do as much. I would like to prove it to you!

Send me an email address where I can reach out to - [email protected]

Here is a link to our home page as well -
https://www.amanngirrbach.com/home/

Thanks and talk to you soon.
Lauren McCabe

rc75

rc75

Sponsors
Reaction score
Hey Jazz Fan -
Rob mentioned to me that you had posted that you are doing your research on getting a CADCAM system.
I am the rep for Amann Girrbach in the Rocky Mountain area.

I would like to provide you some info that shows a pretty attractive ROI when looking at your current work that can done on an Amann Girrbach Ceramill System. At the desktop mill price point, there isn't another system that can do as much. I would like to prove it to you!

Send me an email address where I can reach out to - [email protected]

Here is a link to our home page as well -
https://www.amanngirrbach.com/home/

Thanks and talk to you soon.
Lauren McCabe

New Sponsor?

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
you will need at least 200 unit a month to cover the cad/cam man salary.
you will need 100 unit a month to cover the price of the system and the other expenses .
that basically 300 units a month to brake even.

that's mean simply 15 units a day for 20 days a month.
you cannot offer the time for doing ceramics and cad design together, specially if you are new to cad cam( it is not easy, and needs time)

start with a scanner, u and your staff will use to it, once you and one of your staff is ready to be really productive cad designers, go for the full system.

however, if you have some 50k $ extra money ,, so its time to bring the system anyway its so fun and you will learn the best way, and its under your hand just in case.

the more you learn the more handy and profitable the system will be to you.

best wishes

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
30 K buys me another Trios and all I have to do is drop it off for an hour.

I send my files to a milling machine in another time zone.

AltreX

AltreX

Reaction score
A small lab doing 5 units a day would add about 10-15 minutes of work a day to do the CAM, load the mill, cut out the units and put into a sintering furnace. Not bad for $30K a yr.
5 units? :) it would add an hour. But you can make it and sinter late in the evening to have them early in the morning ;) great success :D
attachment.php

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
5 units? :) it would add an hour. But you can make it and sinter late in the evening to have them early in the morning ;) great success :D
attachment.php

cad design for 5 units(normal and easy crown and bridge) will take an hour from an expert cad designer.
beginners will need more time.
an average cad designer will do 30-40 units a day, with a proper design that will pass the quality check, that time includes the cam nesting and software processing and don't forget the fitting which may need more experience and time than that most of you expect.

however, it could be more or less depending basically on the system the cad software and the experience of the cad man.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
you guys have talked me out of it for sure.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Seriously, I'll probably invest in one down the road when my super mega beast lab takes over Vermont.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Okay, I have to chime in and give my opinion. There is NO way I would get into milling zirconia, way too much of a learning curve with the stains, the right pucks, the overhead (i.e. sintering oven, heating elements, stains and figuring what works best with what pucks, the price of the pucks, the burs). If you did a cost analysis, you can easily find milling centers out there that on par or are far below the price, don't add that migraine to your day. Now this is from a guy who is completely digital, we scan and design everything and we also have a Roland mill as well. The labor, employee headaches isn't worth it to me, now to be fair, If I was doing quite a few of zirconia implant retained full arch substructures I'd probably have a different opinion, but for the 'mac and cheese' work, scan/design- outsource it to a reputable and reliable milling center and you'll be going home early. Now if you want it to mill wax/pmma, then I'd say go for it, we found it to be very advantageous in our lab because hand waxing in my opinion is way too time consuming. So as others have stated, know what you want to do with your mill and then let that determine which direction you should go.

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
There is a lot to be said for a lab being able to do everything in house. Turn around time, quality control, and being current with the technologies/materials. The ROI is a critical part of the equation for sure but not the only consideration.

What happens when a doctor finds out everything is just outsourced to someone? Some docs might not care and others might see the real value of a lab; case planning, service, and support. But if I was a doctor looking for a laboratory I would want one that manufactured in house with quality materials.

Yes its much easier to outsource but the hard stuff, being on the cutting edge, is what can make businesses go from "Okay" to great. Have passion and own what you do!

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
I agree Zero_zero, I am an optimist. :)

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
I'm passionate about my job Sam...but unfortunately I have to run things like a business...or I go under...

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
I'm passionate about my job Sam...but unfortunately I have to run things like a business...or I go under...

I completely understand and I'm not saying if you don't manufacture in house your not passionate. There are many fantastic techs and labs that outsource and there is nothing wrong with that. I just wanted to add another way of thinking about it.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I think making everything in house is an outdated mode of business.

Sam-CAP

Sam-CAP

Reaction score
In 20-30 years everything will be printed. You will not have to take a delivery or go to the store for holiday shopping, download a file print your kid a new toy. Things are changing, technology is replacing labor (clearly). Outsourcing will become unheard of in the near future. Well, that's my guess. : )

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
In 20-30 years everything will be printed. You will not have to take a delivery or go to the store for holiday shopping, download a file print your kid a new toy. Things are changing, technology is replacing labor (clearly). Outsourcing will become unheard of in the near future. Well, that's my guess. : )

Then what will you so for employment?Questionmark:p

Top Bottom