At what point do you need to purchase a Miling unit and Scanner??

J

Jazzfan

Reaction score
I'm currently sending out 25-30 units daily, and growing. It's nice because my milling center is a 1/2 mile down the street. But I have to think that I could come out ahead if I bought a unit. Right? If so, how much is the cost per unit? Including your payment, burs, pucks, paying a dude to design and finish and everything I'm forgetting? I need help and advice!!!

Not to mention what scanner and milling unit do I get?

REJ

REJ

Reaction score
I have my opinions and am biased but your ROI paying for the whole system will be months not years. Just make sure to get something open and partner with good support and backup milling, and really good support. Because we want to do high quality work for our dentists we are migrating to Identica Scanners, Exocad designs, iCam and Imes Milling. As an extension since we developed the system we offer it to our milling customers and others as a distributor.

J

Jazzfan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Who has the best units and support? What should my investment truly be? Plus what is the true cost of a unit?

REJ

REJ

Reaction score
You'd have to ask my customers how we do for the real scoop as obviously all companies claim the best service, support and expertise. We have a lot of experience and I can show you what we do on around 80,000++ units a year for our dentists and labs, not claiming anything beyond that. Our game plan is we do work as a lab and understand what it takes to make a lab successful with support and service. I would suggest NicelyMKV, JandB, Sevanp and Charles007 as folks that can tell you if we are legit or not. (please lie for me guys:). We think we have a great team and the best products otherwise you'll see me looking for work soon.

R

Ryan Gottlieb

Reaction score
25-30 units daily? It's defiantly time to get a scanner and/or an milling machine. Call Sam at CAP.

J

Jazzfan

Reaction score
Who is Sam and what is CAP? I'd like any info I can get on all milling units and real costs. It looks like I'm officially in the market.

RileyS

RileyS

Reaction score
CAP = Custom Automated Prosthetics. They are a vender for Roland Mills and 3shape and another mill. cap-us.com
The names REJ listed can be found in the members list under the community tab at the top of the page.

Are you a Utah Jazz fan or the music jazz fan?

Sevan P

Sevan P

Reaction score
It is most definitely time to be on your own. There are many affordable option that will get you the results you are looking for.

J

Jazzfan

Reaction score
I'm a huge Utah Jazz fan. I'm Here in SLC. I get that there are a ton of options, I just need you guys to help me pick a good one. I'll check out cap and REJ has some help as well. But any info would be great. We will be doing mostly Zirconia crowns on this system, but may want to start doing our own Bars as well. I have 17 bar cases scheduled for next month so far. I've been dragging my feet on buying another unit. We had a inLab MC XL and hated it. I lost money on that POS!!! I want something that will last, has reasonable updates, long term maintenance, and great support.

JandBDentalStudio

JandBDentalStudio

Reaction score
Just from personal experience, Ryan and his support team are like no other.... If you have a question.. you call and they are right there for you every time. If you have any more questions... I am one of his customers and would be happy to tell you more.

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
I'm a huge Utah Jazz fan. I'm Here in SLC. I get that there are a ton of options, I just need you guys to help me pick a good one. I'll check out cap and REJ has some help as well. But any info would be great. We will be doing mostly Zirconia crowns on this system, but may want to start doing our own Bars as well. I have 17 bar cases scheduled for next month so far. I've been dragging my feet on buying another unit. We had a inLab MC XL and hated it. I lost money on that POS!!! I want something that will last, has reasonable updates, long term maintenance, and great support.

If you want to do your own bars , then you will need a nice bg expensive mill . And the best scanner you can get your hands on . If I was buying a scanner now , I would buy a scanner that works with Exocad . Structured light scanners are more accurate than laser scanners , and Exocad is a really nice CAD software . I worked with it for a while , and loved it . Unfortunatelly I am stuck with Dental Wings , but I will most likely sell it in the near future .

As for the machine , since you are located in America , I would go for an Imes Icore 550 i . If you have a bigger money limit , Imes Icore 750 i , or Datron D5 . If you were in Europe , I would recomend you something else , more value for money . Hope that helps !

BTW , these bars were made in my laboratory with my Yenadent D 40 .

ai1085.photobucket.com_albums_j433_drizzt85_IMG_3992.jpg
ai1085.photobucket.com_albums_j433_drizzt85_IMG_3988.jpg
ai1085.photobucket.com_albums_j433_drizzt85_IMG_3987.jpg
ai1085.photobucket.com_albums_j433_drizzt85_IMG_3992.jpg ai1085.photobucket.com_albums_j433_drizzt85_IMG_3988.jpg ai1085.photobucket.com_albums_j433_drizzt85_IMG_3987.jpg

J

Jazzfan

Reaction score
Thanks Ryan, I spoke with Sam from CAP. Great guy. He's sending a rep over tomorrow. Also I have B and D just down the road from me. THey sell the Origin mills. What does everyone think about them? The Imes, and Roland Mills seem like the most popular.

C

charles007

Reaction score
Its best to buy the mill from the same company you buy the scanner from... Better package price & and one tel # to call for help..

doug

doug

Reaction score
I have a friend who has both the origin mill and the DWX50. He's got both of them smokin' all day. He likes the DWX50 better

C

charles007

Reaction score
Down side to the Origin mills, you can only buy the materials they sell like Bruxzir and their house brand zirconia..If you want to use other brands of zirconia, you must call in for codes on every single disk you use..
Don't buy a cheap sintering oven... lots of sad stories on this site FYI

Last edited:
BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Thanks Ryan, I spoke with Sam from CAP. Great guy. I have B and D just down the road from me. THey sell the Origin mills. What does everyone think about them? The Imes, and Roland Mills seem like the most popular.
Hi,
It's important to understand the defferences between open and closed architecture. When you purchase closed components. You may become restricted to materials, additional equipment you may want to purchase in the future, pricing oD materials, and long term choice limitations.
I purchased the Lava system 7 or 8 years ago. Made money on it. But 3M fell behind with materials and I was closed out of new offering. After spending $225K on the system I had to go out and purchase a new open system to stay current with materials that dentist were asking for. In hindsight, looking back at Lava and when I perched it it was the correct choice for me. However, in today's market things are moving sooooo fast you need to keep your oppertunities (and CAD CAM equipment) open.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
So Bob, does this mean you are ready to sell your Lava mill(s) to me now?

Thanks. What time can I come pick them up?

Scott

BobCDT

BobCDT

Reaction score
Not yet buddy. But, when the time comes I know your interested.

K

Kurt Zubler

Reaction score
I'm currently sending out 25-30 units daily, and growing. It's nice because my milling center is a 1/2 mile down the street. But I have to think that I could come out ahead if I bought a unit. Right? If so, how much is the cost per unit? Including your payment, burs, pucks, paying a dude to design and finish and everything I'm forgetting? I need help and advice!!!

Not to mention what scanner and milling unit do I get?

Whatever you plan and whatever you decide don't do it to fast. Check and visit companies very detailed. To buy the right system, no question depending on the type of restorations is main important. For highend-users and production labs check this movie

ZUBLER CAD CAM VIDEO - YouTube

I think Chicago gives us an overview from all the CADCAM manufactures, wait until Chicago and check for the system fit the best for your needs. But No.1 is -
whatever you decide, only with an open system you are competitive in the long run.

Kurt

Drizzt

Drizzt

Reaction score
Whatever you plan and whatever you decide don't do it to fast. Check and visit companies very detailed. To buy the right system, no question depending on the type of restorations is main important. For highend-users and production labs check this movie

ZUBLER CAD CAM VIDEO - YouTube

I think Chicago gives us an overview from all the CADCAM manufactures, wait until Chicago and check for the system fit the best for your needs. But No.1 is -
whatever you decide, only with an open system you are competitive in the long run.

Kurt

Any more info on that milling machine ? I can't find something more other than this nice video on the web . Thanks .

Top Bottom