Zirkon Zahn M1 wet heavy - for CoCr and Titan?

DentalMachineMan

DentalMachineMan

Reaction score
With the alu frame or granit any specials probe,encoders , span ???
my is granit for every material. Powerfull and optic line for the amximum precision. Next week it will be at work !!

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Gotta disagree with ya Luke...the only common thing between Al and Ti is light weight in comparison with steel...( Ti density is roughly double of Al's ). Machining wise they're totally different...while Al is soft and has a relatively high thermal conductivity, can be easily cut dry with high feed/plunge rates, practically any with tool type...even the DWX50 can do it (with proper strategies) <-- my own experience ;)...
Cutting Ti on the other hand is like cutting stainless steel, only tougher since it's thermal conductivity is low...heavy flood cooling is necessary with special chlorine free fluids...
It's also subject to work hardening in contact with the tool along the cutting edge...the shearing angle is increased because there's no stationary mass ahead of the tool ( it doesn't build up like steel does) , resulting in high loads and localized heat (since it doesn't conduct heat away rapidly it tends to gall to the tool). It needs high torque at slow cutting speeds and constant high feed rates (cannot let the tool dwell, in contrast with other materials)...to keep heat formation at minimum. It has a lower modulus of elasticity than steel, it tends to deflect from tool pressure and cause chatter...that's why a heavy rigid rig is required to keep close tolerances...look at the desktop (metal capable) mill's products...they're all full with tool chatter... that's why they came out with premilled abutments...it is tough to cut an interface to the required tolerances...:rolleyes:
Cutting strategies also need to be setup accordingly...like plunge should be arced in vs. straight line (couldn't figure out how to do this with Sum3d...yet),needs climb milling vs. conventional feed, changing depth of cut at each pass, radial tool engagement should be kept under 40% ( in contrast Al can be cut at full slotting )...etc. etc. How do I know these ? Lately I became a regular at a local machine shop...figured that would be the best place to learn CNC before venturing into metal cutting...:D (hope I can keep up with the beer demand)

For the price point and demand is hard to beat the Haas...IMO

Almost word for word same from most Ti machining literature I've seen.

Vaiable helix tool geometry and variable spindle RPMs help. HAAS has this feature of spindle rpm variations.

Never heard the bit about each layer needing to be different depth? What makes any One layer different from the last?
Did you read this from a credibal source, or new friends make this One up? Maybe true, but I have just never read this anywhere...?

We just plunge @ 1-3 degrees using sum3d setting this in tool parameters...also never seen an arc into Ti as a rule. Where did you find that..??

Why would this help I am wondering? 1-3 degrees gradually introduces the tool into the stock just fine.

We have gone lower and lower RPMs and keeping feeds kinda high. The tool sounds much happier!

Mucho vibrations required me to re-desing my fixture. Now, all is happy happy.

Roughing w/4mm @ 8000rpms or less now...feeds over 1000mm/min. Tool life is not that bad.

Ti is very flexible and springy. Grab a long spiral chip and bend it some. "BOING" it is very much like a spring. Aluminum....no.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score

Never heard the bit about each layer needing to be different depth? What makes any One layer different from the last?
Did you read this from a credibal source, or new friends make this One up? Maybe true, but I have just never read this anywhere...?

We just plunge @ 1-3 degrees using sum3d setting this in tool parameters...also never seen an arc into Ti as a rule. Where did you find that..??

Got no clue why they said variable cut depths...gonna ask for an explanation next time... I believe they're credible, most of their work is for the oil and gas industry ( drill head repairs, prototyping etc. ) and aircraft parts...only dealing with odd customers (like hobbyists) to avoid any downtime in between batch orders...if I want something to get done it usually means a month waiting time...

Top Bottom