Water in the air line

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have a dryer and drain my compressor regulary, but sometimes I still have water in the line. What do I do wrong and what can I do about it?
Angelika

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Buy a filtering system......
I think I got mine at Home Depot, works great. I will say one thing though, make sure you don't have your vacuum lines where they can subjected to cool and warm places. What I mean is I had mine sitting next to the air conditioning vent and noticed some condensation in the vacuum line because it was going from cold to warm to fast. Might want to check that.

subrisi

subrisi

Reaction score
I assume what I have is a filter/dryer. It is a cylinder whith a cloth bag init that is filled with some kind of granule that filters out the moisture. My lines are running mostly through the ceiling and an inside wall. There is no temperature difference especially not now. It is not cold enough for it and air condition is an unknown term here in Washingtron State.(No Summer=no air condition)
Angelika

CatamountRob

CatamountRob

Banned Member
Reaction score
The granuels absorb the moisture, if they become saturated, they don't work and need to be replaced or some of them can be dried in an oven and reused. It also could be that the size of your filter/dryer is not sufficiant for the volume of air you are using.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
AURORA DIRECT EXPANSION COMPRESSED AIR DRYER RDV0175 - eBay (item 180564337719 end time Sep-28-10 10:43:01 PDT)

This is a real line dryer (very cheap one imo). Anything else is just a worthless glass jar with a piece of toilet paper in it. If you are not running a refrigerated, powered line dryer, then you will have water in the lines. Maybe not all the time, maybe not even visable.

Most labs do not have the $$ to afford such luxury items. It would go in your engineering room, along with your central vacuum system, air compressor, computers, etc. Right next to the elevators and workout gym, right?

I just run a dehumidifier in the closet with the air compressor. Then I do have a crap glass jar, many of them. We drain them all the time. I hate it. Valves are garbage. I have a rack of four of them right before my Lava mills. Then, more inside the Lava mills. We still get water and I still have solonoids go bad!

I am selling all my vacuums this and next month and installing central vacuum in one of my suites. The air compressors are next.

Last edited:
CYNOSURER

CYNOSURER

Can't reMember
Reaction score
it may not seem like much to you but the temp difference from floor to ceiling is a big difference to air lines. I have copper air lines and that makes it even worse I beleive. point of use filters help...some.

kcdt

kcdt

Reaction score
How often do you drain the compressor?

araucaria

araucaria

Balanced
Reaction score
Is the receiver level or tilted down toward the drain c0ck ?
There might otherwise still be some water in the receiver. Best check and also open c0ck while there's residual pressure to blow out water.
Another issue could be humidity levels for the air intake.
Contact the Professional suppliers or manufacturers for precise info.

Last edited:
DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
i drain my tank every morn., has nothing to do with it.

almost all of todays manfacturing industries use compressed air.

to get rid of water, you need a refrigerated line dryer. They all do it.

No other way of getting the water out. You joking yourself if you think a little glass jar or pipe routing efforts are going to cure this. Compressed air can't hold as much water vapor as atmospheric pressurized air can. The water will come out. Once it's in the bottom of the air compressor in water form, it won't evaporate back into the air in the tank. Draining does very little help the problem. It just comfirms the fact that it''s happening.

You could mount your glass jars inside a mini-frig. That would have the water condense and you'd have to drain manually.

Unless your compressed air is powering solonoids or other machanical devices, who cares if the air has a little water? It's never hurt anything in my world.

Last edited:
A

altlab

Reaction score
A 13 year tested cheap cheap solution for air line h20

Greetings. I used to use dessicants and then it occured to me to try the following. I have used this method 13 years in 2 locations and because I am a coward I put glass moisture site bulbs at each piece of equipment as a double check but all have been dry for 13 years.

This works for ground level or raised compressors. My first one was in a lean-to outside and the current one is in an attic. I have now used this on 4 compressers.

1. Make a remote drain by removing the compressor manual valve (usualy 1/4") and replace it wit a fitting for 1/8=-1/4" copper line. Don't use plastic at the compresser because of the shake and heat. Loop the copper line leaving the compresser to prevent the shake from fatigueing the copper and then put a fitting to change to plastic tubing of any kind and any length. Attach the tube to the wall so it dosen't get kicked out of the compresser. Take the free end and lead it to a convenient location inside the lab and put a valve of any kind (1/4" air valve is fine and cheap) and then from the free end of the valve attach another 1/4" plasitc or copper hose and either stick it in a milk jug (like I do now) or if you have a convenient wall drill a hole to the outside and aim it away from anything (sprays and is rusty). If you drain daily you will not drain more than about a quart a month depending on your dew point. This is sooo convenient to never have to go out to the compresser in an out-building or attic or basement. If you live where it freezes the line must be protected, of course. This is the first step to your water problem -don't accumulate any.

2. Where the working air exits from the tank immediately raise your line higher than the compresser by about 4 feet. More can't hurt. This height and length will condense anything left and gravity will make it run back to the compresser. Remember we are not talking about a lot of water on any given day or pump cycle. My compresser is in the attic above my lab about 15 feet vertically from the lab floor so if there was a problem with this method I would have it with a gravity assist. But remember the water has to crawl up the line before it can slide down. I also put a clear water trap where the line distributes to the lab and it only shows a little water if I have forgotten to drain for several days. Otherwise none now for months. I also again say that NO water has found its way to any equipment water trap in 13 years. I should say this is for a 25 gal tank with 5 horses. A ginormous compressor may require more inital exit height (remember you can zig-zag to save space). I suggest you drain in the morning as the cool tank can then condense all night and you start with extremely dry air.

3. Finally as the cherry...if your compresser is outside or far away buy a "waste disposal remote control" -about $10. This has a flat sided air bulb at the control end and you attach thic plastic tube like drip irrigation tube or aquarium tube of any lenth to the compresser location. there is a air controlled solenoid that plugs into the wall plug and then your compresser power cord plugs into this. Turn the compresser on at the compresser and always leave it on. Go back to the lab and one light push turns on the compresser and the next one turns it on. Again, have used this for 13 years and never have to go to the compresser to turn it on/off or drain it. I should mention my compresser is 110V. . Never looked to see if a solenoid is available for 220V. This probably works for any length...right now I am about at 20 feet. The bulb has screw holes to attach to the wall.There is no visual clue to on/off so I put a little hanging poker chip for off and in practice I usually turn it off while it is running late in the day.

All this adapting may cost you $40 or so...and maybe 2 hours. Deal, Huh?

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
picture is worth a thousand words.

You senerio won't work in my lab.

Compressor is in hot room.

As soon as line exits and gets chilled in lab walls, water forms.
Air is under exact same pressure, but now the temp drops, thus making the air more dense. Then, water gets squeezed out. Very simple concept. Denser air holds less water.

Temp change plays a part, hence all REAL line dryers are actually mini-fridge with collection and drain solonoid. You need to drop the temp of air, THEN collect and drain water. Otherwise, there is still plenty of water in the air.

Usually water collects in your lowest lines/valves, why? Because it's colder at the floor.

Last edited:
A

altlab

Reaction score
addendum: about my hot attic and cold walls

Of course your mileage may vary. Howsoever...

My compressor is in a hot attic and the airline exits into a cool uninsulated room about 40-50F every night 365 days a year about 20 feet below the compressor. The lines are run on or near the concrete floor at an ambient temp. of about 60F during the day. My facility is such that I have to wear UGG boots a lot of the time because of the temp. gradient.

About 200 ft. of lines including all branches. My air hose is clear and you can see the condensate trickle (not much) back into the tank as per my description for remote draining. And I didn't believe it would work either since my hot attic and cool room are basically a still.

I hope my compressor dosen't find out this scenario can't work.

Top Bottom