Warranty work

Al.

Al.

Reaction score
Wade you have integrity and pride, if he is claiming an issue that YOU would normally would fix for free for a client sending work you need to take the high road. Its never wrong to do the right thing.

If you did the work and it is a valid warranty claim then in my opinion you should honor your warranty. Your warranty was for the work done, not the personality of the customer.

Take the high road! No need to sink to their level.

I agree with both

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
You can't change your warranty after the fact. You can however change it every day for future cases.
true, i cannot change them after. and while i agree we should take the proper path, we also MUST protect ourselves as business people too.

how many doctors will warranty their work if the patient is no longer theirs? just saying, there has to be a point at which labs stop taking it on the chin and start treating their business as a business.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
A warranty is a warranty. If you buy a furnace from a company and never buy anything from them again I would hope they would honor whatever warranty they offer.

I understand if it is something beyond warranty that we might cover because it is a good account. Sure, no need to bend over backwards for someone who is not a good client. To me that is totally different.

But if you have a warranty (assume it is in writing) then how can it not be honored?

Alan JDL

Alan JDL

Reaction score
We don't have a warranty for our work, that being said, we will fix most anything at no charge. Only time we don't is if it is a compromised case, and the doctor did not follow our recommendations for long term success.

X

XxJamesAxX

Reaction score
I'll start by saying we have nothing in writing, When the question of warranty comes up we tell the accounts that we will evaluate the situation and if we feel at fault we will fix the situation. If we fill its a situation where it may be a combination of things we will often do a 50% charge, and if we fill it is something that is either A. Patients fault or B. Out of our coverage timeline (usually 1 year) then it's not our responsibility. All this as long as the account is in good standing with us.

Maybe it's just me but my warranty is to the doctor and that I will stand behind them and the products "they" sell to there patients. Products that we happen to make. I want my docs to know that I have there back.

BUT! Treat me like crap and disrespect I'm gonna tell you to take you work and your warranty and shove it!

You guys that warranty everything no matter what? How do you handle accounts that don't pay there bill? Accounts that end up in collection? You going to let them call and claim a warranty? After all you still made the product right? The patient doesn't know they went to a deadbeat dentist.... Just curious....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
BUT! Treat me like crap and disrespect I'm gonna tell you to take you work and your warranty and shove it!

You guys that warranty everything no matter what? How do you handle accounts that don't pay there bill? Accounts that end up in collection? You going to let them call and claim a warranty? After all you still made the product right? The patient doesn't know they went to a deadbeat dentist.... Just curious....

Warranties can be written to exclude items that are not paid for, or that become null for accounts in default.

If not in writing then technically there is no warranty. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that at all - in fact, I would argue it is almost impossible to properly warranty the items we make. In most cases the manufacturer warranties the product to the end user (in our case the patient),not the middle man (dentist). But, obviously that is not possible here in the USA.

Although some doctors want a warranty to feel all warm and fuzzy. Makes me think of Tommy Boy.

Last edited:
Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
I fixed the case in question at no charge. The feedback from the office was it is a problem with function, not my workmanship. Yet they quit sending me work a while back blaming me for a problem I had nothing to do with. It is a problem with this particular patient and I did my end EXACTLY as instructed. It just so happens that this elderly doctor doesn't remember his instructions to me. Therefore, tossed under the bus. Which is fine as this is a high-end practice that seems to feel as though I need to be at almost every try-in etc. I think he is telling his patients that his personal technician is going to be there, as if I am in house. It's a 40 minute round trip for me. I am going to have to gracefully ease out of this situation or it is going to get very pricey. He will do this to the lab he is using. He used them for years and jumped ship in a heartbeat on them when he met me. Oh well. Life goes on!!!!

2thm8kr

2thm8kr

Beanosavedmysociallife
Reaction score
I fixed the case in question at no charge. The feedback from the office was it is a problem with function, not my workmanship. Yet they quit sending me work a while back blaming me for a problem I had nothing to do with. It is a problem with this particular patient and I did my end EXACTLY as instructed. It just so happens that this elderly doctor doesn't remember his instructions to me. Therefore, tossed under the bus. Which is fine as this is a high-end practice that seems to feel as though I need to be at almost every try-in etc. I think he is telling his patients that his personal technician is going to be there, as if I am in house. It's a 40 minute round trip for me. I am going to have to gracefully ease out of this situation or it is going to get very pricey. He will do this to the lab he is using. He used them for years and jumped ship in a heartbeat on them when he met me. Oh well. Life goes on!!!!
Charge for your time. It's not free.

D

dborla01

Reaction score
Hmm...."the customer always being right" assumes that the customer is God, and can do no wrong. I worked at a lab back years' ago and the owner had that attitude. He was slim, and took BP med's, and would become so frustrated at being screwed, that he would go outside and just quietly stare...really sad. The Dentists learned that he would take it, and would replicate that toxic, unfair attitude toward this man's business.

vurban210

vurban210

Reaction score
Hmm...."the customer always being right" assumes that the customer is God, and can do no wrong. I worked at a lab back years' ago and the owner had that attitude. He was slim, and took BP med's, and would become so frustrated at being screwed, that he would go outside and just quietly stare...really sad. The Dentists learned that he would take it, and would replicate that toxic, unfair attitude toward this man's business.

I've always said the customer is always right, right up to the point where they are wrong.

droberts

droberts

Reaction score
Wade. You made a comment, above quote " he will do this to the lab he is using". That comment right there sets it off.
That has been a pet peeve of mine. My laboratory works with doctors, we are not being used...
First name basis, and all have an understanding that mistakes can and will happen.
And as for my quote " the customer is always right". I am referring to the patient. My outlook
of every prosthesis is directed to the patient more than the doctor. Its them that is paying, wearing,
and have to live with it. Once again, its all in your attitude on how you handle the situation.

user name

user name

Reaction score
Wade. You made a comment, above quote " he will do this to the lab he is using". That comment right there sets it off.
That has been a pet peeve of mine. My laboratory works with doctors, we are not being used...
First name basis, and all have an understanding that mistakes can and will happen.
And as for my quote " the customer is always right". I am referring to the patient. My outlook
of every prosthesis is directed to the patient more than the doctor. Its them that is paying, wearing,
and have to live with it. Once again, its all in your attitude on how you handle the situation.
Well said, except...no matter how well you know the staff, the boss is always refered to as Doctor.

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score
No first name basis during business hours. Professional respect. Respect for the degree, license and work it took to attain it.

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
No first name basis during business hours. Professional respect. Respect for the degree, license and work it took to attain it.

I guess I am a bit different with this, I have certain clients that need their egos stroked I have others that are like my drinking buddies and then I have new clients that I am developing the relationship with.

While I totally get the sentiment you are conveying I just think there are times when a relationship gets to the point where if you call them Dr you will be looked at funny.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
We are in a vendor buyer relationship with the dentist.
It should be a symbiotic relationship.
The best we can do is decide to whom we will sell.
When we find we are just being fed upon its time for a move.
I've found that in most cases the cost of a remake was a cheap class in how to run a busniss and many of these problems came from a lack of documentation on my part.

The reason I did not like the Navy much was having to salute the uniform even if was filled with poop.

user name

user name

Reaction score
I guess I am a bit different with this, I have certain clients that need their egos stroked I have others that are like my drinking buddies and then I have new clients that I am developing the relationship with.

While I totally get the sentiment you are conveying I just think there are times when a relationship gets to the point where if you call them Dr you will be looked at funny.

Folks look at me funny anyway.

We are in a vendor buyer relationship with the dentist.
It should be a symbiotic relationship.
The best we can do is decide to whom we will sell.
When we find we are just being fed upon its time for a move.
I've found that in most cases the cost of a remake was a cheap class in how to run a busniss and many of these problems came from a lack of documentation on my part.

The reason I did not like the Navy much was having to salute the uniform even if was filled with poop.

If one of my guys sends a case somewhere else for whatever reason...price, looking for better quality, just think Im an odd ball, Ill still help with modifications. Being helpful doesn't have to have rules. Its just being a good person. I don't feel Im being taken advantage of. I was blessed with talent and consider every opportunity to earn some money a blessing. I don't keep a balance sheet for favors; I wont measure up if our Creator is keeping one on me. If a 'uniform is filled with poop', he still gets help. In fact, I believe Im put here TO help. Through my small act of kindness, maybe his heart will see some light. Im no saint; just the opposite. Maybe Gods not only using me to show kindness to a jerk, he could possibly be putting challenging situations in front of me to see if I will choose to help.

Wade Bognuda

Wade Bognuda

Reaction score

I hear you John I have been involved in after hours activities (hobbies) and it is silly to call them Doctor if the shared interest isn't work.

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
Well stated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

G

gallagerdental

Reaction score
Well stated, I couldn't have said it better! User name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Tom Moore

Tom Moore

Reaction score
Folks look at me funny anyway.

If one of my guys sends a case somewhere else for whatever reason...price, looking for better quality, just think Im an odd ball, Ill still help with modifications. Being helpful doesn't have to have rules. Its just being a good person. I don't feel Im being taken advantage of. I was blessed with talent and consider every opportunity to earn some money a blessing. I don't keep a balance sheet for favors; I wont measure up if our Creator is keeping one on me. If a 'uniform is filled with poop', he still gets help. In fact, I believe Im put here TO help. Through my small act of kindness, maybe his heart will see some light. Im no saint; just the opposite. Maybe Gods not only using me to show kindness to a jerk, he could possibly be putting challenging situations in front of me to see if I will choose to help.

Just like we seem to need to elect a new king here every four years we make uniforms into a class system and continue to draw imaginary lines on the earth so we can make sure we can live better than most of gods other children.

Letting a dentist get something for free when that is not our agreement up front is in my opinion counter productive for me and the dentist.

I give to charity but I pick when, who and how much. Done any other way is not charity, its a ransom.