VR goggles + CAD

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
This seems such an obvious winner for getting back the perception data that going to a screen from reality takes from the tech.

I haven't seen of heard anything at all and am really surprised with VR hitting the home video game consoles that it hasn't been tried and tried loudly.

Has anyone any news I'm totally missing?

D

Draconette

Reaction score
I have htc vive at home, looks great, as i see it would be a great leap in mechanical industry for viewing engines or other parts of something else, like motor engine - whats made in digital image. he hee.... like in Iron Man 2 , when Stark made his suit in holographic room... In VR it would be almost the same.

But for modeling something in CAD, i think for now it would be hard... There arent so precise input devices, controllers, to interact with work.. need something much smaller with the same tracking qualaty as for now avalable large controllers, it would work if shows up something as small as a digital pen, then there would be a real deal in CAD.

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
I have htc vive at home, looks great, as i see it would be a great leap in mechanical industry for viewing engines or other parts of something else, like motor engine - whats made in digital image. he hee.... like in Iron Man 2 , when Stark made his suit in holographic room... In VR it would be almost the same.

But for modeling something in CAD, i think for now it would be hard... There arent so precise input devices, controllers, to interact with work.. need something much smaller with the same tracking qualaty as for now avalable large controllers, it would work if shows up something as small as a digital pen, then there would be a real deal in CAD.
Digital Pen: http://www.geomagic.com/en/products-landing-pages/haptic
I know these specific devices are what the US Mint uses to design coinage now instead of actual clay and wax.

For input I was thinking gloves with IR reflective pads on the fingertips. And flex sensors maybe on the fingers. Even a different QR code on each finger would work, with a different one for nail and one for inside so it could tell open/closed fingers and you could " grab" the model to move it.
IR shape and gesture pickup is over a decade old, and was a addon in the PlayStation3. Not exactly top line bleeding edge hardware.

I guess maybe I'm trying to invent the future, instead of wait for it.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yesh, while it would be nice you basically have to work unitless (as in not metric or imperial but imaginary size scale that only works in VR).

so a post design conversion would need to happen (rendering the whole process useless)

(full disclosure i havent had my coffee yet, just rolled out of bed)

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
yesh, while it would be nice you basically have to work unitless (as in not metric or imperial but imaginary size scale that only works in VR).

so a post design conversion would need to happen (rendering the whole process useless)

(full disclosure i havent had my coffee yet, just rolled out of bed)
Disagree. We do WYSIWIG 2d editing all the time and scale it in many ways keeping the integrity of the data. It's just a "simple" case of keeping track of the original scale and then adjusting it by 32.7x or whatever the user has pulled it out to be. That is exactly what you do everyday when you zoom in and out on the screen.

All I'm thinking is to get a second screen going that is rotated a few deg on the render hard vertical axis.

EDIT: What kind of cof fee? I missed mine and want some soooo bad.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
yes but you start with a known size and have a minimum triangle size. try working in Sculptris. same idea. its got no units so you have to scale it before you save it. but sculptris is a poorly made tool by an otherwise fantastic suite. bad example.

grabbin a tims on the way to work now. later gators. stay frosty. i know i am. it snowed.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Here's an interesting concept:

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Here's an interesting concept:

That's basically shutter glasses isn't it? Sure looks that way. The control mechanism looked interesting though, I guess that's what the 3 sensors on the monitor are tracking, but couldn't figure out what method they were using to track it. Unless they were visual light cameras and software tracking the grey parts, which seems like a lot of computing power to pull 'grey' instead of some bright ugly obvious colour.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
Shutter glasses, the sensors mounted on the monitor track the head movement (kinda like this guy did: ) and the input device...I wouldn't think it draws too much computing power...one day might buy one to play...

JMN

JMN

Christian Member
Reaction score
Shutter glasses, the sensors mounted on the monitor track the head movement (kinda like this guy did: ) and the input device...I wouldn't think it draws too much computing power...one day might buy one to play...

Got that now. I'm still stuck on tracking the angle and position of the input.

zero_zero

zero_zero

Reaction score
The input got IR LED's on its "antennae" for tracking...