VHF CAM5 S1

K

Kamal Ebeid

Reaction score
I wanted to inquire about the CAM 5 s1 dental milling machine.. Does it work wet and dry milling or if I got the wet milling option I will always be stuck to wet milling?.. I mean do I have an option to choose whether I want my mill wet or dry?? Can I mill zirconia using it in dry mode then mill glass ceramic using a wet mode??
What are the disadvantages of milling partially sintered zirconia using a wet milling machine?

Thanks

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
Welcome Kamal.

i don't own an S1 milling machine but i can tell you that when you change from wet to dry milling you must change the tooling, clean the inside, and disable the cooling system. this is normal procedure for every wet/dry mill. sometimes, depending on the complexity, that change can take hours.

when sintering wet milled zirconia first you must dry the piece using either a french fry lamp, or a low temperature firing cycle in a traditional oven. zirconia needs to be DRY in order to sinter correctly.

best of luck, and again welcome.

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
CNC mills use different M code command for coolant vs/ vacuum and dry milling and more.

These are all written into the final program from your cam, sent to your CNC mill's controller.....

Usually, customers select XXxNameOfMillXX "Dry" or "Wet" (Two different machine config, but same actual machine) when starting a new project in the CAM software.

This changes the output (the Post) to be configured in a way to use M commands correctly.

On many many CNC mills, the controllers read M7 (Mist) M8 (Flood-coolant ON) M9 (Coolant OFF) and M12 or M13 as examples of vacuum On/Off commands.

Another M-command could even turn On/Off an air-puffer.

In your CAM, it is possible to even have some tools wet and some dry and CAM will add/modify the M-commands in the post....but mixed into same milling cycle.

SUM3d has this, but is disabled on some Dental machine configurations.

My HAAS has many extra unused M outputs. These could be Normally Closed circuit, or Normally Open and I would then have CAM add in M code to activate Relays already in my HAAS to do whatever I want.

They could even trigger a actuator to ring a bell, or open chamber door, or flash a light, or whatever?

It's all about the "M" (Magic)

None of these are things a customer could change or even see for that matter.

Changes must be requested to reseller, and reseller may have to ask software engineers to write a new machine config. for any specific requests out of norm....

DMC

DMC

Banned
Reaction score
Wet-Milling Zr is 3-4x slower than dry (Possible feeds) and requires higher RPMs to do so, and surface is too shiny to absorb staining liquid evenly.

It does leave a very sweet looking, smooth and shiny surface!

But, who cares for copings and Full-Contour. We will eventually end up with Porc. layer or stain with thick Glaze anyways, AND the stains seems to sit on the surface and not get absorbed. ??

Often, the milling solution has oils in emulsion form and end up drying into Zr before staining.

I had to use soap and water, then regular water and dry in-between to get oils out before coloring Zr.

This is my experience.

Two Thumbs Down for Wet-Milling Zr!!
thumbdown-smiley.gif
thumbdown-smiley.gif

JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Reaction score
I do not prefer the VHF cam, I auditioned it before I bought the Select. Since I was familiar with Dental Softworks cam I like it much better. Even thought this mill has the ability to do both wet and dry Ivoclar in its infinite wisdom makes it one or the other. This IMHO is due to the fact that the maintenance to switch in-between dry and wet will most likely be too stringent for optimum results give the fact that most in our industry rarly follow instructions.

But to answer you question in my DSW CAM Ivoclar release the ability you want is locked down for this reason but in the full open version it allows it.

M

Mohammad Khair

Reaction score
it is more expensive to wet mill green zirconia.
but the question is why do you need to mill glass ceramic with 5 axis milling machine???!!

glass ceramic at its best need 3.5 axis milling machine,,, it is a big waste to mill it on s1 milling

for a little more $$$ you can buy DWX-50 for dry and imes140 for wet glass ceramic,,, instead of one machine ,,, double your production and get excellent result.

those big 5 axis wet milling machines are designed to mill metal specially implant substructure (4 axis will not work with implant bridges),,, if milling metal and implant is not your goal then you don't need it.

DentalAxess

DentalAxess

Reaction score
As per my understanding VHF has been promising a wet milling option for quite some time but still I have not heard anyone that have had working experience with it.

If wet milling is important to you I would look for a proven system that can demonstrate a solid track record of wet milling.
imes-icore has several machines capable of milling wet, in particular the 140i and 250i has been built as a wet mill from scratch e.g. no add-on as on the VHF.
It's essential the mill is well designed with a solid chamber and electronics isolated from the wet area.

Also, don't overlook the CAM and investigate what strategies are supplied for wet grinding.
Compare speed, margin integrity and fit and I'm sure you will find major differences between the suppliers.
SUM3D is an interesting option as it works with all major machine types and you have access to the strategies so you can make your own optimizations.