Can you guys recommend a good pair of mills?

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Our clinic wants to keep everything in house and I run the lab, we aren't high volume but we're planning on having a dedicated dry mill (zirconia) and wet mill (PMMA, titanium).

We're mainly going to be milling zirconia hybrids with a ti-bar, but dentures as well.

I wanted to go with two Roland's but they don't have a mill that can handle titanium pucks, so I'm looking at ZirkonZahn mills. I'd like to keep the mills the same brand to simplify the CAM.

I don't need anything crazy and would like to keep them around $30k each if possible.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
You want to buy a new mill? For titanium, under $30k? Im not sure that exists. Someone just posted an ZZ M4 for sale here, for $40k. Just the CAM with TI strategies would be around $12-15k...
I have a nice 450i that will mill metal, if youre interested.

TheLabGuy

TheLabGuy

Just a Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't we all want a titanium mill for 30K...lol As @CoolHandLuke stated, those mills cost 90K

Getoothachopper

Getoothachopper

Reaction score
"Are you Trolling us all Jonny ?" Five,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I had to check to see if your username was 'jonnythelathecomedian',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Joking aside , Titanium Mills are beasts & you won't find any cheap ones :)

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
Ok, all sounds good. I'm not trying to cheap out I just didn't know. That being said I'm more concerned about saving a bit on the zirconia mill to increase the budget for a titanium mill. That being said what would be a good brand to look at? We were originally looking at a PM7 since it's capable of both but are ideally wanting to separate wet and dry.

The ZZ M4 can mill titanium?

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
Ok, all sounds good. I'm not trying to cheap out I just didn't know. That being said I'm more concerned about saving a bit on the zirconia mill to increase the budget for a titanium mill. That being said what would be a good brand to look at? We were originally looking at a PM7 since it's capable of both but are ideally wanting to separate wet and dry.

The ZZ M4 can mill titanium?
yes the M4 can mill titanium, and you could consider an M4 dual (like i am)....keeping one side for zirconia and one side wet for milling metals.
as mentioned though, you aren't going to mill metal for $30k. that would be awesome, but nope

for just zirc, roland makes a good workhorse mill. so thats an option. once you start getting into wet milling of metals theres a bit more that goes into things.

CoolHandLuke

CoolHandLuke

Idiot
Solutions
Reaction score
consider bundling; knowing you wish to use the same mill brand, same CAM, for both, check out Axsys Versamill 5x400 for soft materials, and 5x200 for hard materials.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Like I said, you cant buy new for that price, but I have a 450i with a 6mm collet that will mill CrCo and ti pucks for $10k, the mill has like 200 hours on it. But you still have to add CAM. People that dont buy this type of equipment love to tell you how much you have to $pend. Filet mignon taste doesnt mean you have to eat a mcdonalds burger, grab a ribeye, throw it on the grill and fill your belly.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
yes the M4 can mill titanium, and you could consider an M4 dual (like i am)....keeping one side for zirconia and one side wet for milling metals.
as mentioned though, you aren't going to mill metal for $30k. that would be awesome, but nope

for just zirc, roland makes a good workhorse mill. so thats an option. once you start getting into wet milling of metals theres a bit more that goes into things.
So you're considering buying two M4's? Or is there a model called the M4 dual?

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
You could buy two M1 compact (they come predetermined for wet/ dry). *I know other labs that have this set up
M2 dual- a single disc holder in two separate chambers (one wet and one dry).
M4 wet heavy- does both wet/ dry and has a 4 disc holder (you just have to clean to convert from wet/ dry milling).

I think there's a M5 that is like the M4 but only one disc holder. Their website would have all the breakdowns. We have the M4 and have no complaints, we get a reliable and accurate product every time.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
Johnny, youre on the right track, you definitely dont want to convert a mill from wet to dry. Wet zirconia sludge is a biatch.

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
So you're considering buying two M4's? Or is there a model called the M4 dual?
i am considering either two M4s, or the M4 dual. the dual has 2 chambers (just 1 spindle though). that way i could keep one side wet for metals, and one side dry for zirc. who wants to clean out a chamber all the dang time just to switch between pucks? lol

sidesh0wb0b

sidesh0wb0b

Donator
Reaction score
You could buy two M1 compact (they come predetermined for wet/ dry). *I know other labs that have this set up
M2 dual- a single disc holder in two separate chambers (one wet and one dry).
M4 wet heavy- does both wet/ dry and has a 4 disc holder (you just have to clean to convert from wet/ dry milling).

I think there's a M5 that is like the M4 but only one disc holder. Their website would have all the breakdowns. We have the M4 and have no complaints, we get a reliable and accurate product every time.
pardon me, the M2 i am considering two of them. OR the M2 dual.

Affinity

Affinity

Donator
Reaction score
zirkonzahn may be the reason we are all milling zirconia today, if I recall they were the first to do it manually with the copy mill, maybe the first to develop a stable zirconia for dental.. They sell a complete turnkey system and everyone who owns a ZZ mill seems to love them..

G

grantoz

Reaction score
from experience buy 2 m2 single chambers that way you have redundancy if you buy a dual you still only have one spindle. the m2 telescoper is a great mill ive had one for about 2 years now, it mills ti crco everything very well.

JonnyLathe

JonnyLathe

Reaction score
from experience buy 2 m2 single chambers that way you have redundancy if you buy a dual you still only have one spindle. the m2 telescoper is a great mill ive had one for about 2 years now, it mills ti crco everything very well.
That sounds exactly like what I'm in the market for. Are you milling full titanium pucks with it?

C

CWilliams

Reaction score
That sounds exactly like what I'm in the market for. Are you milling full titanium pucks with it?
Yes- bars, copings, hybrid frameworks, abutments, and post and cores

Top Bottom