UCLA and 3Shape

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
Jack Hahn was at a lecture that told audience the soft tissues formed a better seal with Titanium than
GoldAdapt, and he was representing the Nobel group on that day.
While that may be the case, I have seen good old external hex implant and restorations from 20 years
doing just fine with gold cast prosthetics.
Now, as to this:
The evidence was presented with images of the worn interfaces and the bone loss and ****.
I found irony in the fact it was an original component. It didn't come from my lab so I can't comment on the fabrication protocol only the perspective of the surgeon.

I think that is considered anecdotal because only 1 case presented. and if interfaces are worn,
the causes can be multifactorial. Was it adjusted at the time of seating?
Was it passive when in was seated the first time around.
What was the restorative dentist's explanation?
Even evidence from journals do not support mis-fit causing bone loss, some even
'proved' the opposite, if that is a sentence that can be used to interpret outcomes of
research articles.
However, I would be surprised if mis-fit did not cause mechanical complications like
uneven wear.
As for bone loss, I would ask how much bone loss has occurred, over what period of
time, and that means what did the pre-op X-ray look like when impression was made.
Then I would ask how well was the patient cleaning and returning to the DDS for maintenance.
After all that, then I would consider the material of the restoration itself being cause of
the bone loss.
But, hey, what do I know, I am not a 'board certified surgeon' . . . ;)
LCM

I was going to ask that but roast beef was being served.;)

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
The surgical course I attended last night advised against uclas. The gold adapts are wearing out!
This is a perfect example of what not to do any more!

What doesn't wear out?
Call me cynical, but maybe- just maybe this is the next step in the big manufacturers trying to do away with anyone producing abutments except them. ucla's are expensive of co, but no scanner, mill, certified manufacturer with a pricey FDA compliance system and lock on their part of the market are required. I mean, just how are the big milling centers supposed to turn a higher profit unless they remove the remaining option for producing custom abutments from our hands? Forget that for some complex cases there isn't really another option except the patient being told they just have to go without.

BTW, I appreciate the post Andrew. Tried similar methods with Exocad and found it only to be time effective on bridges.

rkm rdt

rkm rdt

Reaction score
I can't control what the surgeons are preaching to the gp's.
I can argue till I'm blue in the face but it won't matter.

Strategy milling has a better solution that allows you to move forward.

Gru

Gru

Reaction score
Oh, understood. I have specific Dr.'s that do not want a cemented Ti base.

lcmlabforum

lcmlabforum

Reaction score
Why do I feel those Dr's have a very good reason not to want that . . .
LCM

Top Bottom